Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 Beetle Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kombo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

How we did the rear apron removal is 2 fender bolts on each side (4 total) with 2 small bolts (1 on each side) under the deck lid. This holds everything in place and keeps the lines tight and no rattling/rubbing. To remove the apron remove the bolts and we built 2 removable turnbuckles in the fenders to push the fenders out a little bit so it gives room between the fenders and apron to pull it out. So it takes about 5 minutes to remove the apron. I dont have pictures of it right now but never time I get to the shop I will take some detailed pics.[/quote

Thank you for replying, Im about to fit a new apron and would like to do the same, I would really appreciate if you could post a few photos up when you have a moment as I understand the four fender bolts location but the two smaller bolts and turnbuckles is a little confusing, Im sure once I see it that it will all fall into place, thank you once again.
Regards John.
2-lo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

iowa vw wrote:
2-lo wrote:
From what I under stand there are 2 shades of Sea blue, also sea blue looks way different under different light.

See my IG for all the different shades it looks in different pictures and lighting https://www.instagram.com/esd_austin/

Thanks for sharing! Your pictures definitely show how the sea blue changes a lot with the lighting and angle. I am getting color samples this week.

From what I under stand there are actually 2 different shades of sea blue, as in the pain code will show 2 different formulas for the same color that result in 2 different sea blue's, if you search the samba i'm sure you'll find what I did where people are talking about sea blue not being the same shade over the years.
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

2-lo wrote:
iowa vw wrote:
2-lo wrote:
From what I under stand there are 2 shades of Sea blue, also sea blue looks way different under different light.

See my IG for all the different shades it looks in different pictures and lighting https://www.instagram.com/esd_austin/

Thanks for sharing! Your pictures definitely show how the sea blue changes a lot with the lighting and angle. I am getting color samples this week.

From what I under stand there are actually 2 different shades of sea blue, as in the pain code will show 2 different formulas for the same color that result in 2 different sea blue's, if you search the samba i'm sure you'll find what I did where people are talking about sea blue not being the same shade over the years.

I did search TheSamba and found this. I'm going to sample the sea blue L360(12).
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

So I got paint samples done, they are not polished but the finished car will have a deep polish done. I am going with Sea Blue on the body and Ruby Red on the wheels. I have some old original hubcaps that have some damage and the chrome is bad so we are going to strip them and paint them ivory to see how that looks.

Top = VW Blue L633
Middle = Ruby Red L456
Bottom Sea Blue L360

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

kombo wrote:
How we did the rear apron removal is 2 fender bolts on each side (4 total) with 2 small bolts (1 on each side) under the deck lid. This holds everything in place and keeps the lines tight and no rattling/rubbing. To remove the apron remove the bolts and we built 2 removable turnbuckles in the fenders to push the fenders out a little bit so it gives room between the fenders and apron to pull it out. So it takes about 5 minutes to remove the apron. I dont have pictures of it right now but never time I get to the shop I will take some detailed pics.[/quote

Thank you for replying, Im about to fit a new apron and would like to do the same, I would really appreciate if you could post a few photos up when you have a moment as I understand the four fender bolts location but the two smaller bolts and turnbuckles is a little confusing, Im sure once I see it that it will all fall into place, thank you once again.
Regards John.

Here is a pic of the turnbuckles, they are removable. We put a tab on the fender to hook into and made 1 of the fender bolts a stud with a nut. So the turnbuckle hooks into the fender tab and the fender stud holds the body side of the turnbuckle in place. Take out the 2 lower fender bolts and give the turnbuckle a couple turns to give the rear apron some room and it works really slick.

iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

So this past week I was able to get to work on the 66 Beetle again, mostly worked on the rear suspension and mechanical. I got a Rancho Pro Street with a 3.88 R&P. When taking that out I thought it would be good to install the Fast-Fab lower trans mid-mount and truss bar system. I lowered it about 9 years ago so double checked the rear torsion bars to make sure they matched each other, when with +2 inner and -1 outer for a total of 2.579" drop. I used a digital angle finder from HB to double check it. Everything was new then but since it is all apart I made sure it was all still looking good.

The old split boots really leaked so I put on WW solid boots like the video shows. Worked great with assembly lube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQAV1MXBZFU

When we had the body off we measured everything and the drivers side sits slightly lower than the passenger. I measured the suspension and there is only a 0.30 degree variance between D & P sides. So there is a slight twist in the chassis and the frame guys are looking at it next week.

After getting the body back on the chassis I took some wire and made templates of the bottom side of the luggage tray so we could mock up some brackets for the oil cooler, filter, bypass, and battery tray with the body off. These brackets will be welded to the torsion bar tubs making then super solid and easy to access from either the top or the bottom.

The only thing that needs to be changed around is on the truss bar. You can see in the pictures it is really close to the swing axle so I need to flip the heim joints to the top side of the brackets for more clearance. I am thinking I might need a different rear trans support though to be able to move the heim joint bracket around a bit for room to the trans also. Are there any aftermarket quality bell hosing brackets available?

Luggage tray cutout from the bottom side with welded supports.

See how close the truss bar is to the swing axle.

Probably close to final ride height with when tires are on and all of the weight of motor and stuff is in.

As soon as it is back from the frame guys we will fab the brackets and then final body work and paint. Should have it painted in a couple months. In the mean time I am collecting parts and building the engine. This coming week I am going to be restoring the speedometer and will post a short tutorial on that.
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Its been a while since I've updated this so thought a refresh would be good.

The body and panels are all in primer now and getting wet sanded this week should be spraying paint by the middle of next week. I have completed the build of the 2180 engine going into it and will be doing bench testing and break in in April then install into the painted car.

Since the engine is done I am starting to put together all of the electrical components and build the custom wiring harness. I am putting a modern fuse block and relays in which will be under the rear seat. I am building the wiring harness myself which is kind of a big thing to just start, once its planned out i think it will be easy. If anyone has any pointers on full custom harnesses please let me know.

Decided that I wanted to make sure there was enough air to the engine compartment so added some holes behind the license plate.

All of the body work is getting completed by a custom restoration shop. Anyone want to guess the cost of doing all of the body work? Fixing small rusted areas like doors, hood, decklid fenders, some straightening, no chassis/floor pan work, no major metal replacement, some custom work like the vent holes and luggage tray access panel and removeable apron, stripped interior so all interior metal is finished, base/clear paint, bedliner in fenders and under body, will be show quality.
9pin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

iowa vw wrote:
Anyone want to guess the cost of doing all of the body work? Fixing small rusted areas like doors, hood, decklid fenders, some straightening, no chassis/floor pan work, no major metal replacement, some custom work like the vent holes and luggage tray access panel and removeable apron, stripped interior so all interior metal is finished, base/clear paint, bedliner in fenders and under body, will be show quality.

I have no idea what to guess but I would love to know. Nice job on the ambitious and tedious metal work! It makes me feel a lot better about my upper midwest beetle. Good luck!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

iowa vw wrote:

All of the body work is getting completed by a custom restoration shop. Anyone want to guess the cost of doing all of the body work?

$237,486.29
9pin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
iowa vw wrote:

All of the body work is getting completed by a custom restoration shop. Anyone want to guess the cost of doing all of the body work?

$237,486.29

Shocked Are you sure you don't have an extra digit in there?
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

9pin wrote:
iowegian wrote:
iowa vw wrote:

$237,486.29

Shocked Are you sure you don't have an extra digit in there?

Yeah that is a bit high but it sure feels like it is getting to be that much. It will be over $55K for body work completed with no interior or electrical.
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Everything got painted this week and will start the buffing process and final assembly next week. I can't wait to see it all coming together on the chassis. Also next week I am doing the final build on the engine, testing/break in, and then install. I hope in the next couple months I can finally take it home to install electrical, misc. hardware, and interior stuffs.

kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

iowa vw wrote:
It will be over $55K for body work completed with no interior or electrical.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Will your insurance company agree to a high-enough declared value when you're done? Or maybe you won't drive it – just keep it in a glass display case? Wink

The car's looking beautiful so far. Great work!
Benfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Perfection right there, very nice. 👍
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

I spent the week doing the final engine build and did bench run and carb setting. We had some hiccups but were able to work through them and get everything running. Then we installed the engine and set the body on. I was able to get all panels mounted, doors had to wait. My focus was getting all of the mechanical pieces installed and completed.

I think it looks pretty bad ass without the apron on but I did install it later.

The fuel filter/regulator and pump fit nicely under the tank.

Putting everything in with the access hole in the luggage tray was so easy! I am really glad I made this mod.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Looks great, nice job!!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
critt50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

iowa vw wrote:

Jesus, You're getting raked over the freaking coals! A concours 66 at Barrett Jackson doesn't cost that much...
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

critt50 wrote:
iowa vw wrote:

Jesus, You're getting raked over the freaking coals! A concours 66 at Barrett Jackson doesn't cost that much...

I`m sorry, but I have to agree. I just don`t see a $55,000 paint job here. MAYBE $5,000.
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
critt50 wrote:
iowa vw wrote:

I`m sorry, but I have to agree. I just don`t see a $55,000 paint job here. MAYBE $5,000.

$5k wont get you anywhere near the quality that this car is and there was a ton of metal work and custom work. I don't disagree that $55k is expensive but this isn't Macco. I trust the process and I know that every single nut, bolt, and detail is perfect; you cant get that from a Barrett Jackson car.
Wickedm3n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

iowa vw wrote:
So I got paint samples done, they are not polished but the finished car will have a deep polish done. I am going with Sea Blue on the body and Ruby Red on the wheels. I have some old original hubcaps that have some damage and the chrome is bad so we are going to strip them and paint them ivory to see how that looks.

Top = VW Blue L633
Middle = Ruby Red L456
Bottom Sea Blue L360

I'm looking for paint for my bug. I want the original L633 but is it an metallic color op not? And can I have it in 2k paint op not. What kind of paint did you have for your test panels?

Thanks you in advance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: