Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

... and figure out what in the world is going on with my car.

A bit of back story here in case it matters: A few weeks ago I noticed my timing was bouncing back and forth. I pulled the distributor and discovered I was either missing some shims or they disintegrated, either way there was a lot of vertical play in my distributor shaft. I reshimmed the distributor and reinstalled it, but got sidetracked and forgot to re-time before driving it again. In the couple weeks I drove it like that it drove great- with the exception of a bit higher idle than normal. I finally realized I had forgotten to reset the timing so I did. It drove fine for another week or so.

Then, over the past few days, it has suddenly developed the following symptoms:

With engine completely warmed up, bog down and eventual stalling when idling in gear (generator/ oil pressure lights come on), but slightly over-revving if I kick it back into neutral. Difficult to get back into gear when it is over-revving in neutral like that.

Can drive until engine warmed up (stepped cam on lowest setting) turn car off, turn back on after only a couple minutes and stepped cam has returned to higher setting.

Extremely erratic idle. Surging/ chugging when trying to set timing and popping/ misfiring out exhaust-- like a serious vacuum leak- RPMs can jump up suddenly to as much as 1400 RPM and then drop to 700 with the slightest rotation of distributor body.

Maybe most important clue: Timing increases/ decreases with adjustment of bypass screw on carb when trying to set idle. Also my DVDA vacuum canister should provide around 7.5 degrees of timing retard at idle- timing on my car is set to 0 TDC with both hoses connected, so if I remove and plug the retard hose the timing should jump up to my 7.5 BTDC mark. However when I do this test, the timing jumps all the way up to around 15 BTDC!!

Obviously the very first thing that pops into mind is a seriously bad vacuum leak somewhere. Because of the significant bog down when shifting into gear, my thought was a leak in the autostick vacuum system somewhere- but I have checked all hoses, the clutch servo, the vacuum storage tank etc and sprayed all around those items with carb cleaner with no change. Plus all those hoses are fairly new- installed within the last couple years.

Many vacuum leaks seem to be carb related, so I sprayed all the usual suspect areas- carb base, throttle shaft, etc, with no significant effect. I also find it hard to suspect the carb since it was rebuilt by volkzbitz just a couple years ago as well.

One thing I mentioned in another thread that I will mention here as well- I have never been able to suck on my vacuum can hoses and have the points plate move. This may indicate a problem with the canister, but the car has run just fine up until this point. I went ahead and ordered a NOS correct replacement canister off our favorite auction site since it was only $50 (be nice to have a spare regardless.) The autostick carbs supply much more vacuum to their corresponding DVDA distributors than do the regular carbs to the SVA distributors, so that might explain why I cannot suck on the hoses and have the points plate move.

One more thing- I pulled the distributor a couple days ago and installed another condenser to see if that solved anything (it did not.) When I had the distributor out, I noticed a small pool of motor oil down the distributor shaft hole. I attributed this to accidentally dripping too much oil on the shaft wick when reinstalling the distributor the first time- could that in any way be contributing to the problem?

Sorry for the long post, but I am pulling my hair out needing to get this solved. My other car is dead (long story but it probably is not coming back to life) so this is my only way to get around for awhile. Any thoughts/ opinions are welcome. Thanks

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

Heat risers clear?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I pulled the distributor and discovered I was either missing some shims or they disintegrated, either way there was a lot of vertical play in my distributor shaft. I reshimmed the distributor and reinstalled it

So you've fixed the vertical play in the distributor?

If not, Heimlich on this site sells distributor parts.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

What distributor? Most get timed with the hoses DISCONNECTED and plugged. If you're timing with it with the hoses connected, you're fighting the vacuum cans. Hence the timing is moving when adjusting the carb.

Edit:

I remembered you were running the autostick distributor now...

That was the oddball that does get timed with the hoses connected I think. If I remember it was timed at TDC or 5* ATDC.

See if you can find the service sheet that covers it.

Last edited by Pruneman99 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

It has all the symptoms of a vacuum leak. I think you are confusing ported and manifold vacuum in your investigative work. Be careful.

You should remove the vacuum hoses to all devices by plugging their ports at the carb. How does the car respond?

Tighten the carb to the manifold.

Tighten the end casting nuts at the heads.

Adjust your valves. I know, I know, you just did it. Just go through and check them. Sometimes those senior moments interfere with the way we work. Worth it to double check.

Start their and report back if there was any change.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

One thing I mentioned in another thread that I will mention here as well- I have never been able to suck on my vacuum can hoses and have the points plate move... ...The autostick carbs supply much more vacuum to their corresponding DVDA distributors than do the regular carbs to the SVA distributors, so that might explain why I cannot suck on the hoses and have the points plate move.

This sounds suspicious to me — I think with a hand vacuum pump (or sucking on the hose) plus vacuum gauge attached, you ought to be able to get / see movement in the vacuum can arm, plus verify it’s occurring at approximately the correct vacuum range. I’ve been able to do this on my DVDA distributors’ vacuum cans w/out too much trouble. Verify that your vacuum can is actually operating correctly / the way you think it is...

I’d also recommend checking on the spring(s) in the centrifugal advance mechanism — make sure they’re not obviously missing / loose / deformed / mismatched / etc.

sb001 wrote:

One more thing- I pulled the distributor a couple days ago... ...When I had the distributor out, I noticed a small pool of motor oil down the distributor shaft hole. I attributed this to accidentally dripping too much oil on the shaft wick when reinstalling the distributor the first time- could that in any way be contributing to the problem?

Pretty sure this is normal — the lower part of the distributor shaft gets lubricated directly by the engine’s oil. That’s what the o-ring on top of the distributor housing shaft is for — seal for engine oiling system. Oiling the felt pad (at top of the shaft, inside distributor) just serves mainly to lubricate the centrifugal advance mechanism’s central / pivoting components, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
What distributor? Most get timed with the hoses DISCONNECTED and plugged. If you're timing with it with the hoses connected, you're fighting the vacuum cans. Hence the timing is moving when adjusting the carb.

Edit:

I remembered you were running the autostick distributor now...

That was the oddball that does get timed with the hoses connected I think. If I remember it was timed at TDC or 5* ATDC.

See if you can find the service sheet that covers it.

ALL DVDA distributors typically get timed at idle with both hoses CONNECTED. Yes you can also time them at max advance with hoses disconnected and plugged at 30 BTDC but they typically get timed at idle. Most are timed at 5 ATDC, but mine is 0 TDC.
You always set timing BEFORE tuning carb, because typically adjusting idle speed is NOT supposed to affect timing. This is why I say this is an important clue.

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
It has all the symptoms of a vacuum leak. I think you are confusing ported and manifold vacuum in your investigative work. Be careful.

You should remove the vacuum hoses to all devices by plugging their ports at the carb. How does the car respond?

Tighten the carb to the manifold.

Tighten the end casting nuts at the heads.

Adjust your valves. I know, I know, you just did it. Just go through and check them. Sometimes those senior moments interfere with the way we work. Worth it to double check.

Start their and report back if there was any change.

Ported vacuum advances timing. Mainfold vacuum retard timing. I'm not confusing them-- retard vacuum signal is present at idle as it is supposed to be, it was an emissions control attempt by VW. Advance signal is basically nonexistent at idle as it is supposed to be. If I pull the advance hose and plug it there is little if any change to my idle, that is correct. If I pull the retard hose and plug it my timing is supposed to advance 7.5 degrees, but it is advancing about twice that amount. This, plus the fact that adjusting my bypass screw on the carb is most definitely affecting my timing which it is NOT supposed to, plus the fact that I can't move the points plate by sucking on the canister hose, makes me wonder if it's a vacuum can problem. I've already ordered another NOS one so I guess it will be easy enough to replace and see- however as I said I have really never been able to suck on that hose and move the points plate, even when the car was running fine.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
Heat risers clear?

Yes

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
sb001 wrote:
I pulled the distributor and discovered I was either missing some shims or they disintegrated, either way there was a lot of vertical play in my distributor shaft. I reshimmed the distributor and reinstalled it

So you've fixed the vertical play in the distributor?

Yes. And, it ran fine for the last few weeks. Pretty sure this is something else.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
This sounds suspicious to me — I think with a hand vacuum pump (or sucking on the hose) plus vacuum gauge attached, you ought to be able to get / see movement in the vacuum can arm, plus verify it’s occurring at approximately the correct vacuum range. I’ve been able to do this on my DVDA distributors’ vacuum cans w/out too much trouble. Verify that your vacuum can is actually operating correctly / the way you think it is...

I have a vacuum gauge but no vacuum pump. I suppose I can connect the gauge in line with the vacuum advance/ retard lines at idle and see what the vacuum signals are? (Advance should be 0 at idle, going up to 10 degrees @ 240mm HG vacuum pulling throttle. Retard should be supplying 7.5 degrees at idle @ 170mm HG, and basically disappear when pulling throttle. Never done this before so someone please let me know if I am wrong.

1600 SP engine
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

The timing will be affected by high idle. At high idle the mechanical advance starts advancing. What is the idle setting for your autostick, and what is you engine idling at?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
The timing will be affected by high idle. At high idle the mechanical advance starts advancing. What is the idle setting for your autostick, and what is you engine idling at?

Well I can't say what my idle timing is because it surges. It's moving back and forth anywhere between 700 RPMs all the way up to 1400 RPMs. It's supposed to be around 950-1000 RPMs at idle. That does make sense though that if there is a vacuum leak it would advance timing.
Becuase the timing is affected by adjusting the bypass screw, I pulled the bypass screw and checked the O-ring on it- it seems fine but it appears to be thinner than I remember, I can move it around on the screw. I suppose may be that could be contributing to the issue if it isn't sealing properly

1600 SP engine
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

Does the distributor rotor spring back to its proper position when you take the cap off and twist it?

If I remember correctly in these aluminum distributors the two springs are slightly different... one of them is physically secure when the distributor is not advanced, and one has a SLIGHT slack. If the one that keeps the system retracted and is responsible for low RPM driving is broken, that means the one that has slack is now the minimum stop.

If that is the case, then you will have an annoying intermittent idle up and down situation that will drive you off the wall... The action of the rotor should be smooth and linear, and the rotor should return to a POSITIVE stop, not a "stepped" motion. You'll quickly feel with your hand if there is a problem or not.

Easy enough to test.

Good luck.

-Frank
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

Are you your can hoses are on the right nipples on the carb? Post a pic and someone might spot a problem with your hose plumbing. Maybe your fuel pressure is too high or wrong float level causing excess gas to spill into manifold causing the serge and flooding out at a stop when hot. You could have a helper jump out when it starts to die and see if black smoke is coming out of pipes (flooding).
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
Does the distributor rotor spring back to its proper position when you take the cap off and twist it?

If I remember correctly in these aluminum distributors the two springs are slightly different... one of them is physically secure when the distributor is not advanced, and one has a SLIGHT slack. If the one that keeps the system retracted and is responsible for low RPM driving is broken, that means the one that has slack is now the minimum stop.

If that is the case, then you will have an annoying intermittent idle up and down situation that will drive you off the wall... The action of the rotor should be smooth and linear, and the rotor should return to a POSITIVE stop, not a "stepped" motion. You'll quickly feel with your hand if there is a problem or not.

Easy enough to test.

Good luck.

-Frank

I agree with this. I wanted to explain this in my first post, but understanding a problem, is done in a systematic approach. You need to check those weights and springs out to make sure they are functional as designed. Also, double check that throttle plate basic setting.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
baldessariclan wrote:

I have a vacuum gauge but no vacuum pump. I suppose I can connect the gauge in line with the vacuum advance/ retard lines at idle and see what the vacuum signals are? (Advance should be 0 at idle, going up to 10 degrees @ 240mm HG vacuum pulling throttle. Retard should be supplying 7.5 degrees at idle @ 170mm HG, and basically disappear when pulling throttle. Never done this before so someone please let me know if I am wrong.

Ok, good info. If you tied the vacuum gauge into one vacuum line or the other while idling, suppose you could get at least a rough idea of what your vacuum can is doing at different vacuum levels. There may be enough other variables involved where still gives an erroneous or misleading “answer”, however. An independent & controllable vacuum source probably still your best best for making this sort of measurement.

I’ve found that if you suck on the hose and plug with your tongue (please Cusser et al., refrain from the tempting comments on this... Very Happy ), can usually generate enough vacuum to get a good reading and move the actuator rod through it’s full range of motion.

Otherwise, would next suspect / check for a vacuum leak at that adjustment screw, like you noted...
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys.
Sorry I haven't been updating, been out there for the last 4-5 hours chasing these issues. Finally got it tracked down...
There were actually two issues. The first I am embarrassed about, because I have actually helped others track down that same issue. When I pulled the distributor to change the condenser few days ago, I did not get it all the way back down in the hole to engage the distributor drive gear. The dog ears on the distributor shaft were partially engaging but not completely, causing some of the issue. Also, my points gap was WAY off, probably as a result of me pulling the shaft to reshim the distributor a few weeks ago and then forgetting to recheck the points gap when I put it back together. CHalk this one up to my complete ignorance.
However, after I located and fixed these issues, there was still a terrible surge, like a vacuum leak. Apparently, when I checked for the leak the other day, the one place I did NOT spray was the right hand side of the throttle shaft-- that's where the leak is. I sprayed the left hand side and there was not really any change but then I sprayed the right side and voila the revs immediately flew up. I took a video I'll post a bit later but that's definitely the issue.
Anyone happen to know what volkzbitz's warranty is on rebuilding carbs? I sent this carb in about 2 1/2 years ago to fix the same issue... here is that thread concerning the previous vacuum leak and our correpsondence:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

EDIT: I just saw on volkzbitz's front page that he guarantees his work for 3 years. I have sent an email, hopefully he can help me out again.

1600 SP engine
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

Glad you found the problems, but I wanted to add a few comments based on the statements given above....maybe it will help the next person with these symptoms.
    Vacuum retard cans typically retard timing by 8-12deg. This is for the manual transmission models so maybe the autostick ones are different. So the jump from TDC to 15BTDC is not that far off the mark.

Part of the 15deg of added timing advance when you disconnect the vacuum retard hose could be coming from a faster idle rpms. You mentioned idel rpms were jumping as high as 1400rpm which means mechanical advance could be adding timing. When the vacuum retard is connected it removes timing advance which will actually drop the idle rpms. When you get the rpms back by disconnecting the retard hose you need to be careful to discount any additional timing caused by mechanical advance kicking in as the rpms rise. You can use the bypass screw to reduce the rpms back into the normal range of 800-1000rpm then take your readings (I know your idle rpms were jumping around so this could be hard). At rpms below ~1000rpm the mechanical advance should not yet be adding timing. If dropping the rpms into the normal idle range brings your timing back into the 8-12BTDC range then you know the extra few deg are coming from mechanical advance.

On the point of adjusting the bypass screw causes the timing to change, if this adjustment has your rpms up above 1000rpm then you are correct. But it is NOT the bypass screw affecting the timing directly. The bypass screw is increasing the idle rpms to the point where mechanical advance is starting to kick in. It is actually the mechanical advance that is causing the timing to change. I got the impression that you were thinking that somehow the bypass screw was changing the vacuum levels so directly affecting the vacuum advance/retard. I don't think this is the case.
    Related to this point, you want to make sure at warmed up idle the throttle plate is fully closed and blocking off the vacuum advance (ported) vacuum holes at the bottom of the carb throat. If the throttle plate is opened enough with the fast idle screw to expose these small ported vacuum holes to intake vacuum at warmed up idle it WILL affect the vacuum advance. This is why the throttle arms screw is turned in only 1/4 to 1/2 turn from contacting the lowest level of the fast idle cam. This keeps the throttle plates off the walls but keeps them from exposing the ported vacuum holes to vacuum.

On the description of vacuum retard adding timing advance, the better way to think of this is when you disconnect the vacuum retard it gives back timing advance that it had taken away. There is an important distinction...
    Vacuum advance and mechanical advance are "additive". They add to the initial timing (not necessarily the same as idle timing). Vacuum retard takes away timing degrees from the initial timing (notice I didn't say idle timing) resulting in an idle timing lower than the initial/stick timing. Vacuum retard does not "add" timing advance it removes it.

Let me walk thru how this all comes together, for example:
    static timing = 7BTDC (set with the engine not running)
    initial timing = 7BTDC (engine idling @800-1000rpm; vacuum hoses disconnected & plugged; no advances or retards applied to static timing)
    vacuum retard = -12deg (vacuum retard hose connected; engine idle rpms readjusted to prevent mechanical advance)
    idle timing = 5ATDC (both hoses connected; vacuum retard is removing 12deg of timing)
    vacuum advance = +8~12deg
    off idle advance @1200rpm = 15BTDC (vacuum retard has shutdown giving back the -12deg it had taken; vacuum advance is fully advancing now that ported vacuum port is exposed to strong intake vacuum (+8deg).
    mechanical advance = +18~22deg variable; increasing as rpms increase. Add this to the initial timing gets you into the 28-32BTDC range for total advance at max rpms. This is how 009 distributor timing is set to make sure the total advance never exceeds a safe max of 32BTDC at ANY rpm.
    vacuum advance (cruise) = +8~12deg at high intake vacuum (high engine rpms + low engine load; aka. cruise). This vacuum variable is based on load at rpms above idle. This is added to the mechanical advance which is rpm based. It can be different at the same rpms depending on the engine load (and other variables) which is why you do NOT set total advance with the vacuum advance connected.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together... Reply with quote

Thanks ashman, great post breaking it down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: