Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 main bearing to case fit questions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Type 4 main bearing to case fit questions Reply with quote

I'm putting together a type 4 bottom end and I have run into an issue with my rear (flywheel) end main bearing during mock up. The case is a nice std main and the bearing is a mahle. The bearing does not want to seat into the journal of the case. It comes very close, almost to the point of meeting the top of the dowel. I'm afraid to force it in because I don't want to distort it. Is this common, or am I good to do some light tapping to force it in place? It just seems strange because the rest for in very well. Thank you for the help and I can post pics if it would help.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 main bearing to case fit questions Reply with quote

scottf1887 wrote:
I'm putting together a type 4 bottom end and I have run into an issue with my rear (flywheel) end main bearing during mock up. The case is a nice std main and the bearing is a mahle. The bearing does not want to seat into the journal of the case. It comes very close, almost to the point of meeting the top of the dowel. I'm afraid to force it in because I don't want to distort it. Is this common, or am I good to do some light tapping to force it in place? It just seems strange because the rest for in very well. Thank you for the help and I can post pics if it would help.

Hmmmm.....so this is standard/standard?

Getting down far enough to "almost" touch the top of the dowel....is not.....almost. Thats a good distance thinking about the length of the dowel above the bore.

The type 4 thrust bearing should fit all the way in....but quite tight... when seen from the flywheel side and inspecting the width of the counterbore all the way around. I will try and post pictures.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 main bearing to case fit questions Reply with quote

It's not unheard of to find a bearing in a "set" that is not the same size. Check it's part # or measure it. Maybe they get mixed up at some point of their lives, or a set gets returned with a wrong main bearing.
But as Ray said, it sound like you have a main for a case that has been align bored, that is a larger diameter than your standard case bore
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 main bearing to case fit questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. I took measurements and it looks like I got screwed with an oversized bearing in the box...correct my math here please though. The main bores is 70.06mm, the old bearing measured 70.02 and the new bearing measured 70.55. my math tells me that new bearing is for a first cut oversize case correct? Thanks again for the help.
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 main bearing to case fit questions Reply with quote

I guess while I'm on it...does anyone have a single bearing they can sell me? Type 4 sets aren't cheap and I got this set at a swap meet last year so there's no refund in sight. Thanks!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 main bearing to case fit questions Reply with quote

I don't have any spares. I'd try to turn the OD down to standard size, and probably have a 50% chance of success Laughing .
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 main bearing to case fit questions Reply with quote

Yeah I considered that...I just hate to do it with all I'm putting into this motor. If anyone has one I'd really appreciate it! It's the last thing I need before sealing up the case
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 main bearing to case fit questions Reply with quote

If you had two sets of bearings, you could mix and match to use the ones that fit best.
Silverline bearings are VERY good, even though they are low price.

I have a LOT of old bearings and I find many of them measure on the small end of spec or below.....they shrunk? Isn't that odd....but I guess they must have. We know that the tin/aluminum alloy is does creep and so forth, it's not a highly stable material.
So....I'm not real excited about using ANCIENT NOS bearings.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 main bearing to case fit questions Reply with quote

I'd call FAT performance and aircooled.net about finding a loose #1 bearing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: