Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

👍I'll see if I can remember to sketch something out for the next guy.
Should have done it with my ABA too.
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

How did I miss this!? Another local bus that has had open heart surgery. Great work, good luck finishing it off - it's SO worth it! Kudos to you for having the ability to DIY the conversion too - very impressive!
Ericfb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

Thanks Ride_On, been a fun journey so far. Definitely looking forward to pulling away from stop signs with confidence!

My wiring isn't complete but I did not draw up a new diagram, Maybe it's laziness but it didn't feel necessary. Also keeping it as original as possible will make it easier to chase wires in the future - with original diagrams. Perhaps a solid list of wires that can be cut would be helpful for the next guy, although I think it's important to go through all the diagrams to get a good understand of what's going on behind all the sheathing.

Feeling much better, thanks Craig!
Ericfb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

Update!

Nothing new with the camper, it's officially a storage rack for incomplete odds and ends. But for a good reason. Been a busy summer with family camping trips, new house (3 car garage woo hoo!) and a new job.

I am very excited to have this thing running for next spring - here in my part of Canada around May ish. Tent camping is going to be my motivation moving forward.

This is more of an interim update as it'll probably be another month before I can pick up the tools again. Just so you don't think I gave up Wink
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

Tent camping sure has its place, but Bus camping is so much easier!

Keep on keeping on.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ericfb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

Finally got to turn some frosty wrenches. -13 Celsius today and had the afternoon off. Also figured I'd do a update post now that I can feel my fingers again.

Stock support bar with an "extension" welded to it so I could use the factory bolt holes.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger side engine mount using threaded holes in the block. One of them used to house a plastic clip - not sure what the other was for. Seems solid, got my dad to lower the jack while I watched for flex and it didn't budge. Hopefully that remains the case. It's pretty damn close to my coolant flange.

Got most of my coolant system plumbed up. A few areas still need to be supported but as far as I'm concerned it's done, aside from the coolant bottle and hooking up the aux heater core which is pretty low on the priority list. Also need to wire my fans, but we'll call that wiring for now instead of plumbing Wink

2" Plastic conduit from lowes to protect my coolant hose from chafing.

Next up will be creating some sort of loop for the heater core, which should be easy but VW in their infinite wisdom designed it to have two different size openings so it's not as simple as looping a chunk of 5/8th hose. Grr.

Also have been avoiding the exhaust for a long time so i'll have to start scratching my head over that. Already bought a muffler so I think i'll just mount the muffler where I think it should go then just... curse and swear until it's connected to the manifold.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

Soo am I seeing this as you have a solid motor mount?
that pass side bolted to the motor directly to the mustache bar w/o an isolating rubber mount?
if that's so. will make ALOT of LOUD engine/interior noise and vibration.

not saying I like the looks of your mount 'tabs' either but not here to nitpick.
just make sure the motor stays IN the engine compartment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

As someone who had a hose connection come undone under the Bus and toast a motor: Please make sure your metal parts of the coolant lines have some kind of flange to prevent the rubber from slipping off, and also please clamp those rubber hoses!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

I think that's conduit for chafe, no clamps required
John Revolver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

Epic journey so far man! keep up the great work
Ericfb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

I appreciate your concerns Dan, I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on the tabs (and all my welds) for the first little while to make sure nothing is cracking or bending. The trans mount is still in place as a second line of defence so no need to worry about the engine falling out. Engine will be mounted on stock vw bus engine mounts - not pictured.

All hoses will have clamps, common guys 😉. Also here is my diy bead roller I made/ used on all the plumbing. I regret cheaping out and got the pliers with 6" grips rather than the larger pair but it got the job done with sore hands.
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

👍🏼nice work.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

Good to see you got time to work on it. Thought I’d see it on the road last summer. That said, I never really got out and about with my bus either. Was too busy coaching my kid’s basketball. Now that I’ve picked up a 64 beetle I’ve been spending the little garage time I have on that. Was sizing it up the other day and thinking subaru swap.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
Ericfb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

Oh man i'm jealous! A '64 beetle swap would be sweet.

That'll be my next project. My wife has a sweet spot for the convertible beetles.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

What is the name of the tool you used to make the beads?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Ericfb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

I made it. Not sure they have a formal name but they work quite well and stow nicely in the toolbox.

Check out this video if you want to make your own set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVDUM2ZxoW0
Ericfb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

Got the exhaust done up last night. After staring at it for at least a few hours, I ended up using the stock manifold down pipe. I modified it by removing the elbow (section removed shown in pic) so it would shoot strait down where I welded in a few angles. I wouldn't qualify the sharp 90 degree angle as great for performance but as long as it's quiet and does it's job i'll be happy. Once leak tested, I plan on wrapping the whole thing in black exhaust wrap.

I also didn't have a flex pipe on hand, what are your thoughts? Give it a go as is, or suck it up and weld one in?

I figured it's such a short section that it wouldn't need one, also there is some "flex" where the manifold meets the down pipe. But that's mostly just me justifying not using one. I may also see if I can hang the exhaust off the engine - therefore eliminating the need as the exhaust will just move with the engine...
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

I’d be putting a flex joint in there. There isn’t enough flex at the dual down pipe.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

What muffler have you got there?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Ericfb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Camper engine conversion! ABA 2.0 Reply with quote

Its a Walker "pro-fit economy" muffler. Part # 17914. 6" round, body is 18". 2" in/out
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: