Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru swap guide/info
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

mauricemonge wrote:
Wow dude, thanks for adding your knowledge. I didn't know about some of that stuff. Mind if I add your info to a thread on shoptalk and my google document?

I'm currently doing a mid engine swap in my bug so I may update this with megasquirt info when I learn how to set it up completely. Do you know if smog can be accomplished with megasquirt, or do you need an obd2 reader?

Regarding my knowledge, I'm a newbie in the VW world but my profession was industrial instrumentation, control systems and troubleshooter of all physical aspects of the plant, among a lot of other similar hats including some in near and deep space. As a result, I can't help looking at everything with a critical eye and know systems and methods. I like old, systems that work but appreciate new designs and am not afraid of new technology, it all has it's place.

Go ahead and share as you like, that's what I'm doing when I post along with asking for a critical review of what I am saying/doing to double check what I think I know.

Here's a link to a previous post to give you something more to think about,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693020&highlight=

Slate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71SubaruBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

I am swapping an EJ20X into my '71 Super Beetle and it is a JDM engine. I am new to the world of swapping and was wondering what ECU's will work with this engine?

On another note, I know that this is too much power for the stock transmission. How hard is it to modify the stock transmission to be able to handle it? Otherwise, what is the suggestion for a transmission for it?

Any help I can get would be awesome!

*I do not have a donor car, I purchased the JDM engine from someone that purchased it and would not fit their vehicle.
mauricemonge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

I had to google this one. Looks like your best bet would be to find an ecu from the correct engine, but people have also used an ej255 ecu. The wiring harnesses from a usdm harness (wrx/sti) will work,

Remember that the ej20x runs ACVS, and you'll need a harness, or modify a harness to run that. The ecu might also need a tune if you're not running the stock one.

Since the harness is the same as the usdm one, you can easily get an aftermarket ecu and harness and tune, but that gets expensive.

What are your goals for power?
rmengr1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

for the VSS on an ODB11, Will it work using the Subaru transmission with a reverse ring and pinion (Subaru Gears)? if you keep the stock vss it will run backwards but seems like that wont matter. its counting pulses... shouldn't care which direction the sensor is turning. anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
Bob[/quote]
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

Doesn't matter it will work! It's a pulse signal. I am running subarugears transmission no problem....
mauricemonge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

Working on my mid engine setup now. Still have a lot of little things to work out, but all the big stuff is there. My block in the shop is sleeved and the bottom end should be good for 700+hp

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

71SubaruBeetle wrote:
I am swapping an EJ20X into my '71 Super Beetle and it is a JDM engine. I am new to the world of swapping and was wondering what ECU's will work with this engine?

On another note, I know that this is too much power for the stock transmission. How hard is it to modify the stock transmission to be able to handle it? Otherwise, what is the suggestion for a transmission for it?

Any help I can get would be awesome!

*I do not have a donor car, I purchased the JDM engine from someone that purchased it and would not fit their vehicle.

I put a JDM EJ205 in my Thing. The JDM engines have different connectors on jusy about all of the components including the CAM and Crank sensors. The USDM sensors don't work on the JDM cam and crank toothed wheels. I went with Megasquirt and speed density setup. The JDM harness was cut at the firewall so i had all the connectors except for the MAF. Only problem was tuning. Had to start from scratch.

Use Subarugears. By the time you spend all the money to modify a VW tranny i think you will have spent more than the Subarugears and you still don't have 5 gears. Subarugears was easy to do at home. VW tranny will require a shop to build it properly and will still be iffy well above 200hp.

Check out my build in the Thing forum. Thingaru.
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

Hello, new here and have a couple questions about swapping a Subaru motor into a 62 bug i just got.i see most cut off he rear body panel and the rear of the quarters to make it easier to install the motor. what do you do to put that back on? Weld it back up after the swap? Dzus tab it? Looks like some have a bulging rear body panel put in place of the stock one. where do i buy that from? Also i still have to get a motor and want as much stock hp as possible. which motor and year Subaru would that come out of? body cutting and replacing body parts aren't a problem since i own a body shop and been doing this for 45 years.Fabracation isn't a problem.Also , how do you lower the car without it looking like the tire are about to fall off (Cambered in alot).Does someone make a kit to lower it and still be able to get a correct alignment?Thanks
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

bruceo98 wrote:
Hello, new here and have a couple questions about swapping a Subaru motor into a 62 bug i just got.i see most cut off he rear body panel and the rear of the quarters to make it easier to install the motor. what do you do to put that back on? Weld it back up after the swap? Dzus tab it? Looks like some have a bulging rear body panel put in place of the stock one. where do i buy that from? Also i still have to get a motor and want as much stock hp as possible. which motor and year Subaru would that come out of? body cutting and replacing body parts aren't a problem since i own a body shop and been doing this for 45 years.Fabracation isn't a problem.Also , how do you lower the car without it looking like the tire are about to fall off (Cambered in alot).Does someone make a kit to lower it and still be able to get a correct alignment?Thanks

Since you’re not trying to keep it stock why not convert it to IRS? Your camber gets bad due to the lack of a CV at the wheel. 62 though... they’re getting hard to find..

I had a 10 degree transmission mount (VW motor) and welded tabs with bolt holes to remove and reinstall apron. I’m just a crappy shipyard fitter/welder so I imagine a automotive/body guy might be able to get more creative.

I was gonna convert but couldn’t get myself too. The EJ22 is what I was gonna use (140hp IIRC) but the EJ25 has more power. If you’re going to do this you’re gonna need to research. There’s a lot of knowledge using the search feature.
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

What would i need to convert it to IRS? I plan on using a Rancho PRO STREET Trans and i see they sell them in swing or IRS. What else is required to convert? Thanks for the reply
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

bruceo98 wrote:
What would i need to convert it to IRS? I plan on using a Rancho PRO STREET Trans and i see they sell them in swing or IRS. What else is required to convert? Thanks for the reply

They make a kit to weld in the mounts for the trailing arms.

I’ve never done it.. I would assume trailing arms, axles, cv joints, prob stub axles.

With the Subaru swap alone you’re in for a steep learning curve.. might as well read about a IRS conversion too.

Search feature “IRS conversion”.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740701&highlight=irs+conversion

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738187&highlight=irs+conversion

Check the off-road forum too. It’s the HBB one. Bet there’s better info in that one about it.
mauricemonge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

You don’t need to cut all of the back off, but it can make it easier. I use dzus fasteners to put everything back together.

Converting to an IRS is probably the only way you’re going to get your wheels flat. I think you could do a tranny raise, but I don’t know what’s involved in that.

You’d need IRS trailing arms, to cut and weld in the inner pivots for them. The correct spring plates and torsion bars, axles, spindles and bearing, and a tranny. I did mine myself, and it’s been done often if you search.

As far as power, the 2.2’s are around 135-140hp I think, and 2.5’s make 160-165hp. Adding a turbo is always an option, the NA motors will take 5-7psi just fine. Or going with a turbo motor to begin with can get you 225-300ish hp.
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

Yes I plan on a turbo motor . I’d like to make around 250-300hp . I just sold my turbocharged mustang race car that made 1300 hp so I’d like to build a street car with a lil go power. I’ve always liked VWs so I decided to build something a little different .thanks for the replies .
locutisj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

Wow! Crazy amount of good information here. Thanks to all that have contributed.
I have a ‘68 Baja that lost the engine (VW) a while back so want to do a Subi swap.
I recently got a great deal on a 2006 Outback. 187k miles and fairly good shape but had transmission problems. Great donor car. Then afterwards I ran across a video about Subi swap and near the end the guy mentioned that 2005 on models have a transponder system in the gauge cluster. I really don’t want to include all the donor gauges in my ‘68 Beetle swap. Can this transponder be deleted assuming my ecu can be flashed?
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

I'll keep this short so no one misses the point:

A plain vanilla normally aspirated Legacy motor makes two or three times the power of a stock VW 1600 dual port. A built Type 1 or Type 2 transmission is pretty much mandatory.

We don't build high performance vehicles to drive conservatively.

Here comes the word problem:

Question: How many burnouts can you do with a stock EJ25 bolted up to a stock IRS transaxle?

Answer: One. Rolling Eyes

mauricemonge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

locutisj wrote:
Wow! Crazy amount of good information here. Thanks to all that have contributed.
I have a ‘68 Baja that lost the engine (VW) a while back so want to do a Subi swap.
I recently got a great deal on a 2006 Outback. 187k miles and fairly good shape but had transmission problems. Great donor car. Then afterwards I ran across a video about Subi swap and near the end the guy mentioned that 2005 on models have a transponder system in the gauge cluster. I really don’t want to include all the donor gauges in my ‘68 Beetle swap. Can this transponder be deleted assuming my ecu can be flashed?

I’m fairly certain that you have a CAN bus system in that Subaru. Meaning the modules all communicate with each other at the same time. These systems can get really grumpy if one module is missing or not functioning. There are solutions for this, I think someone can replicate modules electronically, but I’m not that familiar with it.

I think these guys might know more about it
https://iwireusa.com/blogs/iwire-university/canbus-in-your-subaru-explained

And to Dusty1, I think you replied to a year and a half old comment. I thought your point had been established before. But I actually thrashed pretty well on a mostly stock swing axle tranny (welded 3/4), and it didn’t break with a NA 2.5 behind it. I did break a stock 3 rib with a 2.0 turbo, but not a 5 rib. You’re right that these tranny’s don’t hold up well, but in true samba fashion, your comment came off kinda snarky and a little rude
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

mauricemonge wrote:

And to Dusty1, I think you replied to a year and a half old comment. I thought your point had been established before. But I actually thrashed pretty well on a mostly stock swing axle tranny (welded 3/4), and it didn’t break with a NA 2.5 behind it. I did break a stock 3 rib with a 2.0 turbo, but not a 5 rib. You’re right that these tranny’s don’t hold up well, but in true samba fashion, your comment came off kinda snarky and a little rude

Dude! You're funny.

Welcome to the Internet where everything comes off as snarky and rude. Rolling Eyes

Big gold star for Maurice for posting a relatively comprehensive Subi to VW Wiki.

Difficulty with lengthy or comprehensive posts is that important information is sometimes overlooked or glossed over due to the sheer volume of text.

It would be nice to have $8000 for the Subarugears transmission. A built VW transaxle will cost a good chunk of that especially when you end up buying two of them because the first one literally blew chunks.

The Subarugears setup checks off a lot of boxes on the VW transmission wish list. Five speed, check. Type 2 or 930 flanges, check. Closer to correct gearing for Subi compared to a VW transaxle, check. Comes in its own super cool shipping container. If you have sixteen grand you can buy two and blow all your motorhead friend's minds displaying the spare.

That may come off as a little snarky. Rolling Eyes

locutisj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

Thanks, mauricemonge. I've been reading thru some of iWire's stuff and as Dusty1 said, sheer volume of text to read/gloss over, so I'm sure I am missing stuff.
I don't plan on burning up the quarter mile or challenging Mustangs, my Baja is just for fun riding around and the occasional easy to mild off roading. There aren't very many off road trails in NC, at least that I'm aware of. We do however have mountains so a little more power would be nice.
With that said and from what information I have assimilated I'm thinking I may have made the wrong choice with the 06 Subaru. I don't have a lot of free cash to spend on purchasing standalone ECU's and readymade harnesses, hence my reason for getting a donor car.
mauricemonge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

locutisj wrote:
Thanks, mauricemonge. I've been reading thru some of iWire's stuff and as Dusty1 said, sheer volume of text to read/gloss over, so I'm sure I am missing stuff.
I don't plan on burning up the quarter mile or challenging Mustangs, my Baja is just for fun riding around and the occasional easy to mild off roading. There aren't very many off road trails in NC, at least that I'm aware of. We do however have mountains so a little more power would be nice.
With that said and from what information I have assimilated I'm thinking I may have made the wrong choice with the 06 Subaru. I don't have a lot of free cash to spend on purchasing standalone ECU's and readymade harnesses, hence my reason for getting a donor car.

I went with megasquirt with my new engine. It’s taken a ton of time to get it right, but I’ve got a turbo and big injectors to work with. You might be able to go that route if you’ve got free time to learn and tinker. I think my setup cost me about $600 in total, plus a laptop.

Keep looking and see if you can find a module to replicate the canbus system.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

locutisj wrote:

As far as I'm concerned a Baja is a great application for a Subi motor. You're less likely to piss off the purists by hacking up and original Bug. There is plenty of room back there for the engine and the radiator. No trimming required, you trimmed the whole back end off it to begin with.

The obvious combination would be a Bus transmission and a Kennedy adapter. Surely the details are spelled out in Maurice's post. Be aware that big tires and offroad use are rough service for a stock Type 1 transaxle. A three rib Bus transaxle is more likely to live to tell about it.

I don't know about North Carolina but there is an old Subaru behind every dumpster in New England. Next one for me is an Outback that was running great when a tree fell on it. Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: