Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru swap guide/info
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrshaund79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

I just came across this thread as I have decided to go the swap route, I am trying to find an Ej20t to put in my 74, my question is do I need to go full roll cage doing this, as I want the car to look stock as possible. Most vids I have found have full roll cage.

Also with cutting the firewall am I going to have to delete the rear seat completely?
mauricemonge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

Mrshaund79 wrote:
I just came across this thread as I have decided to go the swap route, I am trying to find an Ej20t to put in my 74, my question is do I need to go full roll cage doing this, as I want the car to look stock as possible. Most vids I have found have full roll cage.

Also with cutting the firewall am I going to have to delete the rear seat completely?

If you keep the turbo in the stock location, the back luggage area will need to be cut, but you’ll keep your back seat. Custom headers could put the turbo anywhere, but stock location is kinda nice since there’s less modifying.

I think people put in a roll cage because crashing at the speeds you can reach can be deadly. I maxed out at 120mph with a stock non turbo 2.5. A stock turbo motor could probably get you around 150+. I’ve only been to 135 a number of times, and there’s a lot more to go, these cars don’t crash well.

You’d likely need a truss bar in the back, the extra weight and power of the engine would flex the frame horns a bunch.
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

Running a Subaru transmission. What shifter are you using ?
mauricemonge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

bruceo98 wrote:
Running a Subaru transmission. What shifter are you using ?

An Acura RSX shifter from the junk yard. A lot of manual Honda’s use cable shifters. I made my own linkage setup. It’s simple but it works.
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

Really? I thought they had to use the linkage with the Subarugears adapter. Have any pictures of your setup?
mauricemonge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

bruceo98 wrote:
Really? I thought they had to use the linkage with the Subarugears adapter. Have any pictures of your setup?

I’ll grab some pics later. I’m mid engine, so I had to go with a cable setup.
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

Ok thanks . Must use 2 cables? Trying to visualize this .
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

Does anyone know what axles (length) I’ll have to get running a Subaru transmission? And who sells them? I’m guessing I’ll have to get the Subarugear extended axle stubs that go in the trans so they will be shorter . What is everyone running on the axle stub on the control arms . I see where you can get kombi 100 mm or 930 . This has me confused as to what combo will work .
mauricemonge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

bruceo98 wrote:
Does anyone know what axles (length) I’ll have to get running a Subaru transmission? And who sells them? I’m guessing I’ll have to get the Subarugear extended axle stubs that go in the trans so they will be shorter . What is everyone running on the axle stub on the control arms . I see where you can get kombi 100 mm or 930 . This has me confused as to what combo will work .

I run 15.625” axle length with 930 CV joints. I ran the same axles with a bus transmission too. If your car is slammed and have totally flat axles, you might be able to go shorter.

If you’re really worried, I could possibly be convinced to remove my coilover and tire, and see how it spins at full compression.
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

I run 15.625” axle length with 930 CV joints. I ran the same axles with a bus transmission too. If your car is slammed and have totally flat axles, you might be able to go shorter.

If you’re really worried, I could possibly be convinced to remove my coilover and tire, and see how it spins at full compression.[/quote]

Is that a custom length axle? Where do you get them from? When you say you are running 930 cv joints do you have to change the axle stub on the control arm on an irs to fit them? I’m sure the bolt pattern is different, is it?
mauricemonge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap guide/info Reply with quote

bruceo98 wrote:

If you’re really worried, I could possibly be convinced to remove my coilover and tire, and see how it spins at full compression.

Is that a custom length axle? Where do you get them from? When you say you are running 930 cv joints do you have to change the axle stub on the control arm on an irs to fit them? I’m sure the bolt pattern is different, is it?[/quote]

I got them from pacific customs, just looked and they’re still there in that size. You’d need different stub axles. They’re a bigger diameter than bug or bus, and they’ll handle solid power. Never had problems even with the least expensive empi cv joints and axles, even with launching hard on them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: