Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1641 for my Detroit money pit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennismcd707 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

I'm too much of a novice to know how to "jet it right". I have a stock carb rebuild kit for parts, and the Internet for directions.
How do I jet it right? I'm clueless and could use some direction.

.....and speaking of the holidays (huh?) I may get a carburetor or two for Christmas. Only downside is they would be coming from Amazon and they would be Empi carbs.
My wife asked me to make a list, so I did, and carbs are on the list. Either an Empi Progressive EPC 32/36F or dual Empi 34 EPC 34's.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KKFD86/?coliid=I1UM0..._lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BBJU9D2/?coliid=I1AZV..._lig_dp_it

I doubt she's gonna get 'em, but it's a possibility. And then there's always the upcoming swap meet.

Trust me, I don't want to choke this engine with the wrong carb, but money plays a big part. Right now, I have that stock 34 pict 3, but that may change as I've mentioned.
I'd love to try out a pair of dual carbs on this engine, so we'll see.
1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

Dennis, You can find REAL Weber IDF 's for that at the Buggy Builder Show Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
e-square12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

Hey, any updates on the engine build?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

Dennis and other Michigan guys attending the Lansing show next week...
Look for a guy in a shirt like this, and introduce yourself.
Thanks, Mondshine

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

I'll have a Booth, I have one extra early entry ticket too Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

Madmike and mondshine, I'll see you at the show. How will I know which booth is yours madmike?

As far as progress on the engine goes, I got a carb and manifold from my wife for Christmas. It's the EMPI 47-0622-0 Progressive EPC 32/36F.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BBJU9D2/?coliid=I1AZV..._lig_dp_it

I haven't installed it yet, but will begin doing so soon. I sent away for all new jets to set the carb up properly........ or at least according to John at ACN.
1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

I'll have a small Blue fold up camping table and a red chair with some "Turbo "related items on it Wink probably be wearing my Black "Elk Country Cruisers" Jacket Laughing
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

Embarassed hey Monshine & Dennis ,, Table is BLACK not blue Laughing
I'll skribble 'MadMike" on it Laughing
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

It's always neat to finally meet you samba Guys,,Cheers Madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

Well it's lockdown time and I'm not working. Building cars is currently non-essential, so I've been tooling around with the ol' 1641.
I was gonna leave the fan shroud off (and alt) because I didn't want the engine to get too heavy. I still have to get it out of the basement. But I changed my mind, it's not too bulky or heavy this way.

I claimed earlier that I was too much of a novice to re-jet my own carburetor. Well, I decided to try it myself with my new carb. I read John's recommendations (from AC.Net) on progressive carbs, ordered some new jets, watched a couple of videos, and put 'em in myself.

When I tried to install my new Empi intake manifold, there were a couple of modifications I had to take care of first.
First, I had to cut 2 inches of tubing off the left side of the intake, so it would line up with the end casting.
Then, the engine case stud wasn't long enough to properly secure the manifold to the case, so I had order some threaded rod that was just the right length.

I still have to install my throttle cable tube inside my fan housing. I forgot about it and have to order one and install it.
I also am having great troubles getting the intake manifold pre heat tubes to line up to where they need to be. The driver's side especially.
I need to bend them, but I don't want to break the manifold in doing so. Any suggestions?

Here's a few shots of me modeling my new carburetor.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

Hey Dennis, what exhaust you going with? looks like ur going to need to shorten them tubes too? ,take ur time ,,, looks great by the way Wink Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

I'll probably go with the Tri-Mil Bobtail Header with quiet pack muffler.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Tri-Mil-Bobtail-Header-and-Quiet-Pack-Muffler-p/bobtail-quietpack.htm

I have a set of duals with glass pack mufflers also, but feel they're gonna rob me of power. I only chose the above mentioned exhaust system because it was recommended to me by John at AC.Net for another engine.
I know nothing about exhaust systems, so I'm up for suggestions. I believe the Tri-Mil Bobtail unit will do the trick.
Remember, this is for a sandrail, so I have a lot of options, right?

Yea, I'm gonna have to cut some length off of my pre-heat tubes, as well as bend the driver's side one (WITHOUT DAMAGING MY INTAKE MANIFOLD).
I ran into the same problem with my other engine. (pre-heat tubes not lining up) Anybody else run into this problem installing an aftermarket intake manifold?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

thats a decent header, don't go with the duals , ur right you'll lose power Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

It's been a year and a few months, but I've returned to the garage. Except now, it's a new garage at a new house, and it's time to work on the ol' sandrail again. I've decided the 1641 is going in first, but beforehand, there are several things that I need to do to the engine to get it ready for install and break in.

Today I installed my Kennedy clutch assembly, and installed (with some engineering help) an exhaust system. Next up, I'm gonna fix my mis-aligned heat riser tube. Then it's on to my full flow oil system. I have to figure out fittings, hoses, and the filter location.

I'm gonna research the full flow oil system options, but will appreciate any input from other Samba members. Here is a photo of the engine, showing the oil fittings. I forget what type they are.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

Since you have to modify the preheater pipes on the manifold to fit route one to the collector so that the air flows properly.

Here is the write up on it with photos of modified headers:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=333608&highlight=preheater+collector
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

Hey Dennis, Glad to see you're still here. I wondered where'd you'd been.

A new house and garage? Fantastic news. Congratulations!

Have you any ideas on what you're going to do with the heat risers on your exhaust?

Welcome back!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Hey Dennis, Glad to see you're still here. I wondered where'd you'd been. A new house and garage? Fantastic news. Congratulations!
Have you any ideas on what you're going to do with the heat risers on your exhaust? Welcome back!

Yea, my wife and I moved to a newer and larger home. We're happy so far, except the basement leaks. We're working on fixing that. The garage is much nicer than my old one too.
Now, onto my heat riser tubes. I honestly don't know what to do next. I've got 2 aftermarket tubes to play with, and here's what I've done so far.
My thinking was to trim off some of the length, but it's still not there. There's a bend in the tube, and the length isn't correct.
I'm thinking something flexible will fit, but other than that, I'm lost.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

Just went threw this with tub buggy ,, we just heated the tubes and had longer bolts to line them up ,used a drift to help with the lining up Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

Hey MadMike, could you go into a little more detail on exactly how you adjusted the heat riser tubes? I don't understand what you mean. Longer bolts? What bolts? And by "drift", do you mean something like a center punch?

Did you put the tube in a vise, heat it up, then bend it?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: The 1641 for my Detroit money pit Reply with quote

Hey Dennis, we left it on the intake and very carefully heated with a MAP gas torch , took the center punch, inserted in both parts , bent the tubes to fit but need the longer bolts the help tighten both together,,make since now? Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: