Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

Hello all.
Long term lurker, First time poster.
Sorry the title isn't the best, it's quite a complex problem to sum up in one line.

While traveling up a hill in sunny Staffordshire, I noticed that the oil light was permanently on, not just flickering as normal, (it's been a little temperamental and has flickered for a while now which probably contributed to me not noticing the problem sooner.) I seemed to lack power, then I noticed an unfamiliar knocking sound which got louder. I figured i'd pull over in the lay-by at the top of the hill.
I didn't make it...
the Engine gave out a clunk and a judder and a puff of smoke appeared out the back.
The engine had cut out and I coasted to a stop.

I checked the oil, or lack of, and tried to top it up in the super long shot that this would fix the problem.
It Didn't
when I tried to start it again, it DID turn over and managed to start, however it sounded as rough as I've ever heard an engine, and cut out again pretty quickly.

Year: 1969
Engine Size - Should be a 1600 .... HOWEVER the engine code reads AB10955 so I think the V5 is wrong.
Single Carb... I think.

So, my questions.
Where should I start my search for problems that I've caused?
What parts have I've likely damaged?

I've got a friend coming round next weekend to work on it with me.
We plan on dropping the engine out, and just want to try and get an idea about what to expect.
The engine code has got me a little concerned. I'd have probably purchased any parts i need for a 1.6 and I suspect they would have been wrong, So any help getting to the bottom of what's going on with my engine would be a great help too.

I can upload photos if they would help at all.

Thanks
Aaron
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

sounds like your engine is

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

Hazetguy is right, your engine is done. By running it out of oil you either threw a rod or your about to, that’s the knock you here.

On the bright side, if you still want to drive your bus you’re gonna have to buy a new/rebuilt engine. Who doesn’t like a fresh engine?!?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

First off, you wasted the oil you put in it. You could probably save the carb (pretty sure it has one).
All kidding aside you are pretty much looking at a long block (everything between the heads, including the heads). You may want to tear it down and see what is salvageable, but I wouldn't waste my time. So you are looking at a new engine that is "as reliable as you want to pay for".
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

Could just need a new set of bearings and a rod. Might need a new crank. If the oil light was flickering that much before the disaster, you were due for a rebuild anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies so far!

I suspected the engine might be brown bread, so that's no surprise. Sad
I also suspected I'd be wasting my good oil on it Laughing

the engine itself it pristine...other than the now loose metal work inside it!, it was rebuilt in 2014 to a pretty decent standard, so I do think the oil light was literally just the sensor.
with that in mind, I'm keen to save as much of it as possible, so i'm trying to avoid a long block if possible

That being said.. with regards to the engine.
The guy I bought it off told me it had a 1600 in it, now I don't think he was deliberately lying to me, but I think potentially he may have been wrong.

My understanding is that it could have been upgraded to a 1600, without changing the block? If this is the case, once I start stripping it back, how easy will it be to tell, and what will I be looking for?

Lastly, if the engine does turn out to be a 1300, I've been given an unexpected opportunity to upgrade it back to a 1600.
Am i just looking at barrels and pistons? (ignoring the shattered rods for a moment) or is there more to it?

Thank you for your time so far.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

the 1600 slip right in and are stamped --85.5-- on their tops. So -as they are cheaper (so many are being made)- they are just over a $100 a set. (AAs from china-) that it's silly not to.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

Mmmm toast.....pass the tea and marmalade please.

Good luck on the tear down and carry the lesson going forward, oil check is a weekly or on fill up.

The oil light is a warning to shut off in the next 5 seconds
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

Thinner-walled cylinders are not always an upgrade. Cam, heads, and carb are the keys to more power.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The oil light is a warning to shut off in the next 5 seconds

That long? Wink
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

The internals of your engine will have gotten very hot, but at least it sounds like nothing locked up. Any parts you reuse will need to be checked very carefully to see that they haven't been damaged. I have known of people that were able to get considerable life out of an engine that had lost oil pressure and started making noise, but they got them shut down very quickly with the owner not trying to make the top of the hill.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

Tell your friend that when he comes he should pack a new long block in his bag. Pictures would help please.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
sounds like your engine is

Im still trying to figure out how hazetguy knows your car has dual carbs...
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

prediction: one spun rod bearing, one cracked cylinder skirt,
one blued crank pin, one bent conrod.
If you would do this more often, you could have enough spares laying
around to do a partial rebuild.
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Tell your friend that when he comes he should pack a new long block in his bag. Pictures would help please.

He says he's not sure one would fit in his bag Laughing

This weekend we are just going to get the engine out and stripped, taking plenty of photos, to try and assess the damage.
Hopefully it'll be pretty clear what can be saved / if we need a new short / long block.

Attached are some pictures of the engine currently.

Not sure if that's the best way to share these photos, I've used photobucket, i hope everyone has installed the chrome extension for hotlinking Laughing
As you can see, the engine is pretty clean.
as a slight silver lining, at least i'll be able to clean up the engine bay while the engine is out.

Last edited by CaptainKingsmill on Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Iain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
the 1600 slip right in and are stamped --85.5-- on their tops. So -as they are cheaper (so many are being made)- they are just over a $100 a set. (AAs from china-) that it's silly not to.

You'll need to double that here in the UK.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

CaptainKingsmill wrote:

That long corrugated goose neck you have for a breather may have cost you an engine, though I would expect to see oil dripping from the exterior of the engine if it did. It could still force oil up passed the rings and up the valve guides though even if the engine did not leak externally. A breather hose needs to have adequate slope to get the engine snot to drain back into the engine after shutdown. Having an inverse siphon combined with the corrugations means the hose may have become plugged leading to high crankcase pressure.
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

That long corrugated goose neck you have for a breather may have cost you an engine, though I would expect to see oil dripping from the exterior of the engine if it did. It could still force oil up passed the rings and up the valve guides though even if the engine did not leak externally. A breather hose needs to have adequate slope to get the engine snot to drain back into the engine after shutdown. Having an inverse siphon combined with the corrugations means the hose may have become plugged leading to high crankcase pressure.

Thanks for the info, how would you suggest I solve this when I rebuild?
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

if you look at the front on photo of the engine, you can see at the top, above the engine there is some kind of heat shielding.
it's currently all distorted and bent, and id imagine, looking at it, that it's asbestos.
While I've got the engine out, ideally I'd like to replace that. Does it know what it is called(if it has a particular name) so I can search for it, or can anyone link me to an alternative?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, Ran on no oil, started knocking, and then died. Reply with quote

CaptainKingsmill wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Thanks for the info, how would you suggest I solve this when I rebuild?

-Going back to the OEM air cleaner would be a good way to go.
-If not that then you could run the hose into the top of the air cleaner
-or use an elbow right at the air cleaner and then a shorter hose.

I have mine directed into the top of the air cleaner directly above the throat of the carb so the oily mist goes as straight through as possible.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: