Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Thank you for spelling brakes and Bentley correctly.

Booster and Servo are the same part, as far as I know. I had my 1977 servo/booster rebuilt by Karps in Southern California. They did a great job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Spent lots of time on the bus this rainy weekend.

2nd failed attempt to push the caliper pistons out. Decided to go with 72 calipers. Ordered and on the way.
Re assembled the CV joints they were cleaned and inspected a few weeks back. Made sure that the small tab on one part was pointing to the large tab on the other part. Everything moves properly. Painted the axle shafts... ORANGE!
Removed the upper brake fluid res and the pipe leading to the lower res. Had to remove the drivers seat. Did some wire brushing and vacuuming on and under the seat perches. Brake fluid had been leaking for a while.
Took a closer look at the hard brake lines for the front. Some are good, some are not.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

The little stuff makes me feel like I am going NOWHERE. But it has to be done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

UPdate: the bus is almost totally disassembled. Front and rear axles remain. Rear hatch window and front windshield remain. That is about it.

Now that I almost have nothing but a shell, I need some advice.

I have spent quite a bit of time under the bus. Looks like mostly surface rust. I do see some holes in places.... WHAT SHOULD I DO?

I thought I would try to use one of those cheap sandblasters Rolling Eyes .... what ever I do how do I have to move it? Either to my street for some lying on my back blasting or to a pro. I have a blaster guy near me at work, gonna go talk to him tomorrow. I always see rotisseries in his yard.

Guess I'll have to make a roller out of it, or build a cart of some kind.

THoughts?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
THoughts?

My thought is I'm not the only one who is going to learn to MIG weld soon. Cool

You will find a lot of good info in the Samba Body/Paint forum.

As for the surface rust on the underside, from all I've read on the subject, it's easiest to use one of the rust converter products (like POR-15, which is getting less popular lately), then prime, paint and undercoat it. That sounds like a lot less work than trying to blast off all the surface rust, after which you still have to prime, paint and undercoat it.

Of course, holes need to be patched first. MIG time!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
malcolm2 wrote:
THoughts?

My thought is I'm not the only one who is going to learn to MIG weld soon. Cool

You will find a lot of good info in the Samba Body/Paint forum.

As for the surface rust on the underside, from all I've read on the subject, it's easiest to use one of the rust converter products (like POR-15, which is getting less popular lately), then prime, paint and undercoat it. That sounds like a lot less work than trying to blast off all the surface rust, after which you still have to prime, paint and undercoat it.

Of course, holes need to be patched first. MIG time!

Well, that is a thought. POR just came out with a new rust remover. I bought a gallon and thought I would try it. Problem is that they want you to "submerge" the work piece. At least 20 minutes up to overnight.... HA. I will be working on the underside of the floor!

I did ask them if working on smaller sections and just using a paint brush, continually "painting" for 20 minutes, keeping the section wet would work.

Since it is new, they can't promise anything, but the guy thought that method would work. Can't hurt to try.

I also thought maybe I would attempt to replace the whole floor. Once the floor panels are removed I would have a good view of the beams... Cool
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Rust Remover is only working on items that are submerged. As the directions say. So if you have small parts or several sized buckets it will work. I have been leaving items in the bath overnite, then turning them over and pulling them out after work.

Here is the rear "whatcha ma call it", hub maybe, bearing carrier Question ? soaked on one side over nite. you can see the clean line.

I spent 3 hours on the Steering Wheel and Steering column last night. Those small castle nuts on the connection with the gear box had rusted cotter pins.

I ended up breaking the ends off of the pins and just wrenching them off. Now I can't get the horn button out. My steering wheel is all cracked and the center hub is breaking up. I guess a WTB is in my future.

My Pitman Arm puller should arrive this evening, so maybe I can get the gearbox off tonight. Not much stuff left on this bus.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Tue May 08, 2018 6:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Time to build that rotisserie!!

What’s That Noise?!?
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Time to build that rotisserie!!

I need to build a BARN 1st. I have no room. Too many cars. I am leaning toward letting someone else blast it.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Nowadays, there are more and more of those mobile wet-blasting outfits.

They show up, and, if it's a nice day, they can do it all in one day in your driveway.
Because it's wet, they don't warp panels, and can totally haul ass.
Plus, it's dust-free, so the neighbors can't complain.

What’s That Noise?!?
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

They show up, and, if it's a nice day, they can do it all in one day in your driveway.

I need to check that out. Hell, buy a franchise😜🚌
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
Clatter wrote:

I need to check that out. Hell, buy a franchise😜🚌

I was thinking the same thing! First I'd heard of it.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I used a cheapo sandblast gun from HF when I re-did my 914. It just won't cut it now so I bought a nicer one. Still cheap tho, from Amazon. Made quick work of the front torsion arm surface rust and undercoating splatter. Works great on small parts like this.

I had a bucket of filtered play sand and a large blue tarp. Sat in the front yard and blasted for 2 hours. 50 lbs of sand lasted me that long. I dumped the tarp back in the bucket and it was still half full. Probably cleaned 8 parts. A couple of the arms, the rear hubs, the trailing arms, the backing plates, the stick shift.

I will use up the Rust Remover or save it for nuts and bolts. Very small stuff. But the blaster is 100% better. Next will be POR metal ready and then paint. Maybe just rustoleum rattle can stuff.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Fri May 11, 2018 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

By the way... I found a mobile blaster. I sent him a request for quote. We shall see.

https://www.countylinemobileblasting.com/

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and put some anti-seize an the threads of the brake adjuster so it does not rust solid.

Lightly coat the thread and the shaft splines of the stub axle. So the nut and brake drum do not rust in place.

Good luck
Tcash
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Do yourself a favor and put some anti-seize an the threads of the brake adjuster so it does not rust solid.

Lightly coat the thread and the shaft splines of the stub axle. So the nut and brake drum do not rust in place.

Good luck
Tcash

Hell no, the next guy (in 46 more years) Very Happy needs to work as hard as I have.

Just kidding. Everything is gonna get a coating.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

steering box is out and in pieces. Waiting on parts now. Photos on assembly.

Pulled the front axle to clean it up and remove the pivot mechanism. Purchased the rebuild kit. Funny, BugHaus' ebay site had it for way cheaper than their actual site.

Anyway, the Axle was loaded up with tar and grease and rust. So I am glad I pulled it. I would have been on my back all weekend. 8 bolts and it's out and on the table.

I think I spent 8 hours, removing, it, cleaning it, and prepping it for paint with marine clean and metal ready. I think I am gonna use POR 15 gloss black, then maybe a quick topcoat with rattle can.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

and then on to the wheel well. TAR everywhere. Figured I would scrape it off and look for rust. No rust in this picture. But there is some to the right and to the left. 3 holes left and one big one right.

LEFT, in and under the lowest part of the door.

Small spot on the jack point.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Note wear the front beam rust. Water collects in the bottom of the trough.

My thought was to drill weep holes and install duck bill drains.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1490056

Good luck
Tcash

77 Front Beam Rebuild Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7099422#7099422
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I poked a coat hanger in and did not feel any blockage. Nothing came out either when i rinsed. I suppose mine have not clogged. Thanks for the info. I dig deeper and double check further.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: