Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Taking the door panels apart. Gotta remove the old accessories, fix 'em and add them back to the new cards. The air vents are plastic. Lots of the little tabs are broken. Gonna rivet some small angles on to attach them back to the card. Looks like it will work. I trimmed the broken tabs, lined up the metal bracket, drilled some holes. Now it is time to put it all together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:

I'm liking how your van/bus is coming along.
But I'm loving your shop!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:

But I'm loving your shop!

It is a bit messy. I need an ORGANIZATION day, maybe some more cabinets to hide stuff.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Not much progress on my post MLK day VACA day to "work on the Bus". But there was progress and dealing with BRAND NEW PARTS that don't fit... Haha.

Adding OEM accessories to door cards on the cab doors.

The Armrest vent has special hardware and it is not fitting the holes in the brand NEW TMI door card. OEM card has large oval shaped holes, TMI replacement has small round holes..... go figure. Green arrow is the ONLY large hole in the New TMI card. Glad I waited 14 weeks for the delivery of the vinyl set.

So I completed the drivers door using counter sunk screws and finish washers.

Some screws sat up too proud, so I found a plug bit and was able to spin it by hand and make a hole larger enough the the HAT washer.

I might take the finish washers out and go with the larger holes and put the HAT washers back in.... Looks good and seems to lay flat.

I have to say, I like the BLACK & TAN. I did my 914 that way. Found old TAN door cards and left all the BLACK stuff there.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

FROM HERE

TO HERE

impossible to see the GREAT job I did.... HA.... But I have completed the DE-RUSTING of the rear bench backrest. Plus I used rust converter on the zig zags that did not rust away. That is why they look black.

They make tools to bend those zig-zag springs, but I did not want to spend $60 on a tool that I will only use once... Probably would have helped. I wore out my hands. And the zig-zags I bent are noticeably stiffer. I can live with it.

Could not find a flat edge bar, probably would not have been able to bend it anyway.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Wanted to give a big HIGH FIVE call out for these guys. https://www.uphsup.com/

I found them online. Upholstery supplies. I had a reply to a post here where I got the suggestion to get the edge wire vs the flat that is OEM.

Hey gonna cover up all my poor workmanship with burlap and formed pads.... Cool
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Spent a good amount of time on the passenger side roll up window. WHAT A BITCH. The felts were SO tight the window would not roll up.

Suggestion on here was to get better felts. I had some, but when the WW felts arrived, I could see that they were significantly smaller. I will get some photos. But notice the GREEN thread. Stay away from those. WAY TOO BIG.

Have not installed and tried them out yet.... fingers crossed.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Not sure why I like this BIG LOTS rug, but I do. Trimmed it up to fit. I will need to trim the rear a bit more once I get the back bench and heat vents in and see.

Not sure where I got the idea to use the puzzle pad, but it was super easy to work with.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Got the ABS panels for the cargo area sides and a $10 rug from Home Depot. Stuck the spare cover in to see what it all looks like....

Bulkhead cards are done. Crazy that those Black pads are like $600 a set. NO I did not need new, thank goodness. Ashtray and grab handle (installed after this pic) finish it off!

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Looks great. I like the carpet too.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Might not look like much progress. But I needed to refresh my learnin' on 'lectrics...... Did install all the OEM switches and grounds, etc....

This rats nest covers adding a modern stereo with front and rear USB and IIRC it has bluetooth. No CD player these days. Plan is to run the rear USB to the glove box and load up a thumb drive.

Radio took a HOT wire, a SWITCHED wire, and ground. All that is done. Added in-line fuses.

Also took care of 90% of the TACH. It needed ILLUMINATION, SWITCHED power, a Ground, the connection to the points (still to be done).

Want to Add an A/F gauge, CHT, Oil Pressure and Temp. But have not purchased anything yet.

I have a cool A/F combo gauge in the 914. it uses a bluetooth adapter and will display on a phone app. Might be able to do them all that way. Still researching.

I am a bit pissed at the radio. The hole for the bracket was a wee bit too small. I had to Dremel it to allow the head unit to fit. Then it would not sit still, so I had to use HVAC straps to firm it up in the rear of the unit.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Parts are arriving.... this is a speaker for the dash..... Dual Voice coil allows both RIGHT and LEFT channels to be properly attached. Notice the pic of the back, it has connections for each channel.

Short of going to a junk yard, this is a dash speaker for an El Camino.... one of those Classic Sound type web site.

I can use 2 of the factory holes in the dash (for sound to come out) to mount. I will drill a couple more and be done.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Did not want to have speaker boxes in the way-back. Did not want to cut any panels. Found these great boxes for 6.5" speakers.

Got the ABS panel for under the back bench. I will 1st drill a bunch of holes in each end and see how I like the sound..... if it sux, I will cut the ABS off on the each end.

Boxes fit perfectly tho.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Front end is done.

Windshield
Wiper arms, wipers
Radio Antenna
Rear view mirror
Front tag holder and a tag.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Along with

Front seats
Pedestal covers
Front mat

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Looking good!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

REMEMBER>>>> this is a 914 engine. No mechanical fuel pump. So I had to add the electric fuel pump, pressure gauge and shut off relay for safety plus a pressure regulator. Got the idea from this btm picture. upper 2 pix are mine.

I will upload some more pix soon.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Turn lever stalk is on... Why is everything so hard.... During that install, I broke the ground spade on the bottom of the steering column.... Had to fix that. Now it is much easier to connect the wires as there is a wire hanging under the column vs. sticking my hand thru a tiny opening at the steering box to find a male spade.

Added the Pedistal covers.... I probably should have just figured a way to attach carpet. But they are done

And modern retractable seatbelts that were backordered from Jbugs for about 6 weeks. Sorry to the folks sitting in the WAY BACK, they get 1972 seat belts.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Getting closer!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Getting closer!

You would think.... but everything i do, i have to do again and again...... the blinker lever took removing the steering wheel 4 times....

Hell the steering wheel took 4 times too..... Wiring, bushings, etc..... I just keep at it.

I was underneath the other day and DAMN, they brand new Master Cylinder is leaking, has not been used one single time. Oh well.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: