Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Tie Rod and Drag Link discussion...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700000

gonna just buy a new set, Dust boots are tuff to find.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Slowly but surely stuff is happening.

As I mentioned, I removed the front axle, cleaned and evaluated it. I think all I need is a gurb screw.

I have done the POR 15 3 part paint, then top coated it. I went with BLACK on the parts in the wheel wells, which will also be black. I had some gray, so I used it on the tubes. My great grand kids will be using this axle..... maybe their great grand kids.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I checked on the mobile sandblasting and that would be prefect. BUT the guy wants me to jack it up 4'. His price was $4/ft^2, also not bad. And I don't have any wheels on it. And I would need to get the Bus into the street.

So I decide to crawl under and start poking around and scraping the old undercoating off. Then I will probably go with the POR 15 3 part process. Marine Clean, then Metal Ready then Rust Proof coating..... No need for top coat under here. POR needs top coat cause UV rays are not friendly to it.

You can really see surface rust where the undercoating was LIGHT or poorly done. It takes a while to scrape it off, but it comes off easily. The hard part is all the obstructions.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

it has been a while since i updated. But here is an after shot of under the front.

I used RUST CONVERTER to coat and seal the surface rust. Then the top coat is a good quality oil base paint. I went with Rustoleum. There are so many nooks and crannies this was a big job. Just saying.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Got tired of laying on my back and decided to start on some RUST at the passenger threshold.

YUCK...

I removed the door and found a huge mess.... I'll post that.

The threshold looked like crap. But then I hit it with the grinder.... getting better.

So, it was ground down to the metal and the holes, not bad looking now. THen I cut out the holes to patch and I painted it with RUST CONVERTER. Turns all the metal and rust..... BLACK. I hope I can weld over Gempler's.... I also soaked the inside with Converter too. THe purple is still wet.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

And about a month ago, I got a door....

It is in much better shape than the original. New Bay, so I have purchased the bushings and small pins needed to put a new door on an old bus...

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Passenger side floor patch panel. I bought a Just Kampers panel and I have trimmed it up nicely, if I do say so myself.

Just need to weld it in now. Finally something GOING ON the bus instead of being removed.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Nice patch work. Hit that bare metal underneath with some weld through primer.
Looking good
Tcash
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I forgot to take a FINISHED photo. But this shows my latest patching work up to welding it all in.

This is the passenger cabin door, the back corner. I was glad to see that the cavity only really had surface rust. Even with this small hole, I was able to get a toothbrush sized wire brush inside and break it all up and vacuum it out, then add the rust converter and eastwood channel paint to the whole channel.

The purple is the converter before it dries.

I will add a shot of my ugly welding soon. As someone told me on the 914 World, the grinder is your friend.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

And another patch. This is under the passenger door threshold. The channel goes all the way to the roof. It might be hard to tell but I am pretty proud of my patches here. You can see that I wrapped my patch around a very strong factory seam.

again, I cut out the holey rust, wire brushed the surface problems inside the channel then hit it with converter and Eastwood. The gray on this one is weld thru primer. And again, I have yet to take a photo of the welded up product. This one, I believe I have actually already added the POR -15 seam sealer. More to come.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I could not motivate myself to dig in to this hell hole. Finally did some cutting tonight.

This is the back corner of the pass seat. Had a hole visible from the wheel well. Still more to cut, but this is s start. The big beam under all this is solid. The worst part is the heat vent. Yuck.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I guess i had a separate post pf the before shot. Here that is. Same crap onnthe drivers side. No cutting there yet.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

moving slowly.... But I got some stuff done.

I peeled back the walk-thru floor and cut the deflectors out. Not sure what I am gonna do, might just say, "screw it" and weld it back down with no deflectors. Hell I will be drivin and won't care about the heat in the back, right?

Painted all this surface rust with RUST CONVERTER. I guess I never took pix of that process. But the rust turned black.

just need to seal up some of the crappy weld holes... and a last bit of grinding on the curved section of the back of the seat platform.

MORE TO COME>>>
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

a little further back, I found more ugly stuff.

alittle cleaning and some more RUST CONVERTER. This area is gonna have to wait. Gotta get the driver's floor next.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Well football season started and put this project on the back burner. But I have squeezed in some time.

Some pictures of the drivers side rust removal. Just about all cut out here. Just need to cut a bit out of the fender well lip and vertical and I will the ready to trim the patch.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Weld thru primer. Did some welding last night, but no photos yet. I will finish it up today (I hope)

1st shot here is the removal of the rusty lip from above.

I am gonna weld in the floor first, then make an "L" shape to spot weld into the inside of the fender well, then spot it to the floor.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Yucky box full of RUST:

My welding is getting a little better.

Some touch up welding remains to fill the holes, but the floor panel is basically done. Finishing up the wheel well patch too.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Driver's side is SO much nicer than the passenger side was. Got the floor patch in and now gotta get the rusty hole out of the threshold. I have another post on the captured nut that came out. It is 1 of 2 nuts that holds the tip of the front bumper. Bought a RIVNUT tool and some Stainless Nuts. Should arrive next week. Until then, I need to do some rust converting.

here is a view inside of the captured nut that DID NOT break loose. you can almost see the hole left from the one that did break. I'll use the RIVNUT set up on that one.

Cleaned and wire brushed what I could. Used some POR Marine Clean. Next will be the Metal ready zinc coating. I have been finishing with Rust Converter. The plan will then be to used the Eastman channel paint and close it up.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

excellent project buddy, keep at it!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

It has been a while since I updated, and I am not moving very fast.... Spring boating and now football season has slowed me down. But I am pretty much ready to start putting "the cabin" back together.

Rust removed on both floor boards. New panels welded in, primed and painted. Cleaned up the pedestals for the seats.

Got the dash and Windshield out. Did the HIPPIE method on the windshield ledge. Patched some small holes with POR and fiber glass, plus some POR paste. Sanded it down a bit and Top coated it.

The very last thing... I think, is to use the Eastman Internal Channel coating in all the channels up here in the front, and Truly it will be time to re-assemble. Yee haw.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: