Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering box oil?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: steering box oil? Reply with quote

What kind of oil is this in my '75 Bay steeringbox? I need to top it off before I install it. Thanks,
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90W gear oil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sta-Lube GL4 gear oil...same as the transmission.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are no brass synchros in the steering box. in addition, the mechanical situation is more or less static as compared to trannies. no real need for the GL4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
there are no brass synchros in the steering box. in addition, the mechanical situation is more or less static as compared to trannies. no real need for the GL4

...but I had the GL4 on the shelf in the garage..... Razz
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky you. napa wouldnt get me any unless i ordered a CASE Evil or Very Mad the tranny is pretty much f'ed anyway, so i can wait.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I found a gallon from CarQuest......
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those times when a big hypo needle and some small hose come in handy!

(Turkey baster isle!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would 85w 90 gear oil work for the steering box? I've checked a couple places in town and that's all I could find. I haven't bought yet because I wasn't sure.

Thanks!

[quote="1977_L63H_P27"]As mentioned before, it's a 9-passenger Deluxe. The true "station wagon" of buses.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, fine for a steering box.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mike C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Busdaddy!

[quote="1977_L63H_P27"]As mentioned before, it's a 9-passenger Deluxe. The true "station wagon" of buses.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stalube 85-90 from any FLAPS or any 80-90 wt gear oil (even GL5 is probably Ok). If you have a new or remanufactured box I would add some moly to it or use an EP gear oil to slow the wear.

FYI - On late boxes correct there are no sycros in the steering box but there is a brass bushing at the bottom so GL4 EP would be preferred over GL5.

If it leaks and one need seals for a late box the numbers are:

SKF 692331 CR 28x38x7 HMS5 RG
SKF 564068 CR 22x32x7 HMS5 RG
Mike C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. SGKent. I went to a FLAPS and got 80-90 wt gear oil. When I first posted I meant to ask about 80-90 wt. Anyway, I just wanted to top off my steering box. As far as I know it's stock and haven't had any problems. Once I cleaned off the grease I found the red plug and used a mirror to check the level. I used a piece of clear tubing and it fit in the hole perfectly and I topped it off.

Mike

Last edited by Mike C on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awsome job! It will last longer with oil.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
stalube 85-90 from any FLAPS or any 80-90 wt gear oil (even GL5 is probably Ok). If you have a new or remanufactured box I would add some moly to it or use an EP gear oil to slow the wear.

FYI - On late boxes correct there are no sycros in the steering box but there is a brass bushing at the bottom so GL4 EP would be preferred over GL5.

If it leaks and one need seals for a late box the numbers are:

SKF 692331 CR 28x38x7 HMS5 RG
SKF 564068 CR 22x32x7 HMS5 RG

Good suggestion....using a moly additive.....because....,the steering gearboxes were generally NOT filled with gear oil. Although gear oil will generally be fine, the steering gearboxes were actually filled with an oil that is higher in sulphur that is a good deal thicker than 90W.....more similar to a 120-140 gear oil with a sulphur/moly additive package.
This is very similar to a Browning gearbox oil for angle drives and PTO's.

I actually fill all of my gearboxes with Superlube synthetic and pump them until they are airless. Will last forever. Ray
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related question as I want to change my oil as well. I swapped my gearbox for a used one and it's a bit wet now. I know people replace their oil with oil/grease mix which among the rest, does not leak.
My question is for those who run this, what ratio do you use??
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should never be mixing grease and oil. There can and will be the same chemical issue that you get when mixing greases. In grease its the metal type and content that create the EP quality of the grease. Each metal has a different polar charge and must be mixed with the correct base to keep the metals from electrolytically corroding. You can't just go mixing things with greases and oils. Some mixtures can literally destroy the EP quality of both oil and grease.

What grease is....is a specific oil with metal base added....and saponified or thickened usually with a specific deteregent mixture. What you are looking for is a thickened oil......an oil that is thickened to much less than a grease but more than a gear oil. Go to any industrial gearbox and power take-off (PTO) supply house and they can provide you with what you need. Most large bearing dealers supply PTO's and oils for them.

You can use just a straight grease....and it will work excellently and not leak. I use synthetic Superlube. stays about the consistancy of warmed vasoline...to about -30F...and is good to over 450F drop point....non toxic, clear, EP rated, FDA approved.
You want to pump the box full....and literally pack it until its voidless as possible inside. This was as the parts rotate there is no place to displace grease to. They stay perfectly lubed. Much better than oil. Ray
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
FDA approved.
Ray

You crack me up Ray. Laughing
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
You should never be mixing grease and oil. There can and will be the same chemical issue that you get when mixing greases. In grease its the metal type and content that create the EP quality of the grease. Each metal has a different polar charge and must be mixed with the correct base to keep the metals from electrolytically corroding. You can't just go mixing things with greases and oils. Some mixtures can literally destroy the EP quality of both oil and grease.

What grease is....is a specific oil with metal base added....and saponified or thickened usually with a specific deteregent mixture. What you are looking for is a thickened oil......an oil that is thickened to much less than a grease but more than a gear oil. Go to any industrial gearbox and power take-off (PTO) supply house and they can provide you with what you need. Most large bearing dealers supply PTO's and oils for them.

You can use just a straight grease....and it will work excellently and not leak. I use synthetic Superlube. stays about the consistancy of warmed vasoline...to about -30F...and is good to over 450F drop point....non toxic, clear, EP rated, FDA approved.
You want to pump the box full....and literally pack it until its voidless as possible inside. This was as the parts rotate there is no place to displace grease to. They stay perfectly lubed. Much better than oil. Ray

Well, that seems to be a good and thorough answer, thanks! Smile Which Super Lube did you use? There seems to be a few kinds.
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can you get they Syn Superlube? Any FLAPS?

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: