Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Delete your Facebook account
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

I realize that there is another post in this section regarding Facebook, but my views here would be hijacking the nature and theme of that thread. That said, here goes....

Facebook is a data mining company. My wife, who is in marketing, disagrees on this point. She says that they are a data collection company, while companies such as hers or Cambridge Analytica are the data miners. Whatever. The point is that they have information on their users; a LOT of information. That information is very valuable to other companies who use it to finely tune and focus their marketing campaigns. Makes sense, right? Why spend money casting a wide net and catching few fish when you can laser in on exactly who you need. I mixed up metaphors there, but you get the point.

That all seems innocuous enough, right? They're just trying to spam you with ads. That's just the age we live in..... But is it?

Facebook isn't just used by marketing companies, PACs, data miners, etc. Literally anyone can use Facebook to learn more about you. Not just the fact that you love puppy videos (everyone does, God damn it!) but your political leaning, your sexual preference, whether you have children or not, whether you rent or own, your career, your phone number, your diet, your travel plans. etc. etc. etc. Your life is online for the world to see

Case in point: if you are on FB you know of people who overshare EVERYTHING in their lives or post maybe a few too many videos, photos or memes. Maybe you yourself don't engage in this kind of narcissism. BUT, by virtue of being on FB your life is under the magnifying glass. Maybe you've set your profile to private, so you're good, right? Well, not really.

Data mining companies don't necessarily care about the specific individuals they are targeting. WCM, for example, might want data regarding individuals between the age of 25 to 55 in the Pacific Northwest who have watched at least 30 seconds of any youtube video with the word 'Volkswagen' in the title. They don't need names associated with this data, but Facebook does have that info. As obvious and somewhat stupid of a statement as this may seem, this might come as a surprise to some: YOUR NAME AND PROFILE AND EVERYTHING IN IT ARE ASSOCIATED WITH THE DATA FACEBOOK COLLECTS AND COLLATES.

It should be pointed out now that Facebook is not the only data collection company (duh!). Google, Youtube, HULU, Netflix, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Amazon.... the list goes on and on. They all know something about you.

So now things start to devolve into the conspiracy department. In this information age- right now- our lives are out there in the nether, open for scrutiny. Very little is private anymore. Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, the US Government; they all know a little too much about all of us, don't they? Should we do anything about this? Can we?

Some of the younger generation might know Big Brother as a shitty, shitty, super-shitty, really annoying, should-have-been-cancelled-after-the-first-shitty-episode reality show. But the truth is that is has roots going back much farther, and into a much darker place.

My wife and her co-workers make fun of people on Insta-crap or Faceshit. These are people (like me, right NOW!) complaining about the government knowing too much about them, and then turning around a posting pics of their fat ass on Snapchat or Instawhore. F'ing HYPOCRITES, all of us.

EVERETT, are you selling the info on your members activities and posts? Why the hell not???? We freely give this information online on a multitude of different platforms. We even agree to terms that specifically state in plain english what these platforms intend to do with the information we provide. We're doing this to ourselves.

So, I guess my point is... well I don't know anymore. Is it just the norm now that we freely give away our secrets? Where will this take us?

Thoughts?

Comments?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

I agree. We're doing it to ourselves..................vanity. Credit card companies, too, so your wife is not exempt. Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
I agree. We're doing it to ourselves..................vanity. Credit card companies, too, so your wife is not exempt. Wink

I forgot about the credit card companies. How about these also: Uber, Lyft, WeChat, Yelp, Safeway, Costco, All Airlines, FourSquare, Apple, Pinterest, Flickr, Tumblr, NextDoor, Tinder, Grinder, Match.com, Christian Mingle, J date, Eharmony, Plenty of Fish, OK Cupid, The Church of Scientology....

That last one is my fav.

It seems that this is just the way it's gonna be. We exist to spend money and supply databases. Yay technology!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Cell phones are just as bad as Facebook. Everything on your cell is being monitored and that includes all your nudie pictures and sex video's of your girlfriend in bed with you. There is no security on any device that transmits on public airwaves.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

I've always generally assumed that there was no real requirement that anything you put on facebook had to be factual.
LONG ago there was a case where a guy was pretending to be a police officer on social media.....up to no good, and that really made me think......BUT, it's ALWAYS a crime to impersonate an authority figure you aren't....any way.

SO, I maintained it was pure baloney. Sticking to that. The only reason people take it seriously is because they do. It's mental.
BUT, yet my buddy the repo-man is using it to find his marks. Anything you put there is free for the world to see even though the whole concept is the opposite Laughing

Are they selling the data? Probably

I uploaded a bunch of pictures of bolts, engines, and little metal parts and so forth..... free image hosting right?
I had google adds for sheet-metal brakes and life size sex dolls for half a year after that. Took a while to figure out the cause. It's nice they are trying to help, but actually I don't work with sheet metal, nor life size dolls.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

We're being watched with everything we do, and I'm sure there is stuff out there that we don't even know about. Last week I got an invitation from an audiologist for a free hearing test. I found it odd because I do have bad hearing so I asked her where she got my info. She said she paid for a list of every male within a certain distance of her business between the ages of 50-65. What other info about me is out there to be had for a price? BTW, Craigslist sells your info which is why you can post stuff for free. Maybe it's just part of the world we live in today, but if it gets into the wrong hands........

Another question of mine, which is probably a bit off topic, is gun control. The anti gun folks want tougher back ground checks. Where do they get the info for those checks and what info would be a red flag for not allowing someone to get a gun? A divorce/separation? Fired from a job? Religion? Depression? PMS? Who controls that?

One more thing; FB monitors more then just postings on FB. I post stuff on ESPN and they monitor there too, and if they don't like your political stance they are quick to delete your post even if what you say is done respectfully. Ask me how I know. I've had numerous postings deleted when the topic was the National Anthem debate. Free speech isn't always free. He who holds the gavel determines the course of the debate. Every forum is like that.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

And I was just getting ready to contact you about a life sized doll, shucks!

Quote:
I forgot about the credit card companies. How about these also: Uber, Lyft, WeChat, Yelp, Safeway, Costco, All Airlines, FourSquare, Apple, Pinterest, Flickr, Tumblr, NextDoor, Tinder, Grinder, Match.com, Christian Mingle, J date, Eharmony, Plenty of Fish, OK Cupid, The Church of Scientology....

I can actually say I have nothing to do with any of the above including the credit cards, life can be simple.

Wonder what the Samba does with all these posts, anybody speak Russian? Should we be concerned? I did load a picture of my naked bug on this site? Will my posting be reviewed when I buy a gun?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

What's Facebook?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:

One more thing; FB monitors more then just postings on FB. I post stuff on ESPN and they monitor there too, and if they don't like your political stance they are quick to delete your post even if what you say is done respectfully. Ask me how I know. I've had numerous postings deleted when the topic was the National Anthem debate. Free speech isn't always free. He who holds the gavel determines the course of the debate. Every forum is like that.

Yuuuuuuup.

Another thing my wife told me about FB- they are everywhere and work with multiple platforms. You can't get away from them.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Cell phones are just as bad as Facebook. Everything on your cell is being monitored and that includes all your nudie pictures and sex video's of your girlfriend in bed with you. There is no security on any device that transmits on public airwaves.

Actually, I text a few dick pics to multiple local officials and politicians in my area weekly. I consider it not so much of a brag, but more of a social donation for posterity. Still waiting for my award.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
Actually, I text a few dick pics

Carlos Danger?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
What's Facebook?

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

I would think platforms that offer less distribution of personal data will emerge and gain traction with those who care about privacy issues. Since participation is voluntary I doubt the courts will weigh in much on this, unless....it is declared a public utility. There could be a strong argument for that in the modern age. Then it falls under the protection of PUC's. Outside of marketplace I don't see much appeal personally.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Glenn wrote:
What's Facebook?

Looks stupid, why would anyone want that?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

It’s not all bad news. Twisted Evil
https://theintercept.com/2018/03/26/facebook-data-ice-immigration/

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
It’s not all bad news. Twisted Evil
https://theintercept.com/2018/03/26/facebook-data-ice-immigration/

Cool

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I would think platforms that offer less distribution of personal data will emerge and gain traction with those who care about privacy issues.

I believe this is unlikely, unless those platforms charge a membership fee. FB is free only because it makes millions selling the information that users freely agreed to give up (by agreeing to the terms and conditions of the EULA) when they opened their FB accounts. No one on FB can claim that their information has been misused. FB never agreed to safeguard their info or keep it confidential.

It has never been more true that "There is no such thing as a free lunch."

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

I know for a fact that THIS is absolutely true. I travel for a living. I go on long multi state drives at least once a month.

Every time I get home...within 2-3 days...I start getting the robo-calling from every area code I went through. Like clockwork....I can track the zip cods right along interstates and into every town I stopped in..whether I bought anything or used a credit card there or not.
They are collecting your numbers and data right off cell network.

Ray
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
FB is free only because it makes BILLIONS selling the information that users freely agreed to give up

Fixed for you.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

What worries me more are all of these devices people gleefully put into their home that listen to EVERYTHING we say!!

Really, How stupid are people?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: