Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Delete your Facebook account
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
Your phone already tracks your every movement, and possibly can listen to you when it's not even on.

You can turn off Location except when you need it. Whether this really turns it off though...

Unless I am mistaken, they already proved the Facebook app listens all the time and will target ads at you based on words it hears. I don't have the Facebook app but I'm pretty sure Instagram or one of the Google Apps is doing this too as I've had the same thing happen, multiple times.

awreed wrote:
Facial recognition is getting better. Walking outside your door will eventually get your every move tracked in high def video.

It can absolutely recognize you if the resolution is there and the data is available to do a match.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Location is always on. I know this because I almost never have location services on unless I’m using a mapping service. But every morning, I get in my car, and as soon as I start moving I get the message on the home screen “you will not get messages while your driving”. Surely speed and location is being tracked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Glad to see I am not the only person with a bad view on FB. I have one but use it for cycling contacts and ride meet ups. I still get ads related to what I have searched and what my wife and I have talked about. Really considering going back to a flip phone.. There is entirely to much information shared through social media, much of it I don't believe is done with the approval of the poster.

To put some of it in perspective, I fell into a political group who liked to find people from riots (think Berkley) and using the help of others more technical than I where able to get names from just photos. Or news media would drop a name sometimes. It was then too easy for people like myself with little technical background to find FB accounts, Instagram, Tumblr and more. Once found that we were able to get where they worked, phone numbers, where they lived even. We could find details about their families or kids. It was scary what could be found within 30 minutes, all because people want to get more "likes" than the neighbor.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

My wife just started a new job and they make you use Facebook to sign in and out for your shift and track your hours.
They didn't tell her this was the process in the interview.
I just about went through the roof because there are so many things wrong with this I don't even know where to start!
She's not as bothered as I am but I would have just turned on my heel and walked out the door.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
My wife just started a new job and they make you use Facebook to sign in and out for your shift and track your hours.

So they have some sort of App on Facebook to track work hours?
This sounds like a really bad idea, it makes zero sense to me for them to use facebook at all for that sort of thing.

Is it on her phone?
They better be giving here a separate work phone to use in that case.

Honestly this sounds so ridiculous, I'm interested to know more about how it works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
photogdave wrote:

So they have some sort of App on Facebook to track work hours?
This sounds like a really bad idea, it makes zero sense to me for them to use facebook at all for that sort of thing.

Is it on her phone?
They better be giving here a separate work phone to use in that case.

Honestly this sounds so ridiculous, I'm interested to know more about how it works.

Apparently it's a private page where they just state their hours. Not an app and she logs her hours after her shift on her computer.
It sounds more like lazy/naive bookkeeping than anything sinister. The company grew on social media so it's all they know at this point.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

I'm not a big FB guy but my kids and Mom were talking about FB yesterday and my son said that FB is cracking down on questionable accounts and if you don't use your FB account for a certain time period, FB will disable it. My mom said it happened to her and she had to open a new account. Is this true? I rarely post anything on FB so is my account one that would be disabled?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

If it is disabled you the wont have to delete it
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

I have grown to dislike and distrust Facebook and most "big data" companies. It's a shame that modernity has become so intertwined with these things.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

I have been DubWerks on Facebook for over a year, yesterday, they forcibly made me change my name (meaning no account access to do anything, not even close the account if I chose to) because they or someone else on FB thought it was questionable. I am a private person on social media and only use it for my YouTube channel. Why is it that every other social platform lets you pick a name, but Facebook needs your real name. Before being forced to change it, they wanted me to send them id; banking, birth certificate, etc to confirm if DubWerks was my name. Seriously, they aren't getting that info. This is absolutely ridiculous and I would have deleted my account if I didn't need it for sharing DubWerks videos and other things like that.

Rant over.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Don't have a Facebook account never had a Facebook account do not want a Facebook. From what I understand it is not a good thing over all for a person whom likes to be private.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:
I would think platforms that offer less distribution of personal data will emerge and gain traction with those who care about privacy issues.

I believe this is unlikely, unless those platforms charge a membership fee. FB is free only because it makes millions selling the information that users freely agreed to give up (by agreeing to the terms and conditions of the EULA) when they opened their FB accounts. No one on FB can claim that their information has been misused. FB never agreed to safeguard their info or keep it confidential.

It has never been more true that "There is no such thing as a free lunch."

What he^ said!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Don't have a Facebook account never had a Facebook account do not want a Facebook. From what I understand it is not a good thing over all for a person whom likes to be private.
What he said!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: