Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

Hey y’all, im running into a wall on this one and could use some suggestions. Got pretty heavy into testing and have started to run out of ideas...

Got a random misfire at idle that builds into a low power can’t get over 45 mpg situation. Almost feels and sounds like running out of gas but does NOT loose more power when run or driven, and has consistent fuel pressure (but can check that again)

Recent Maintinence:
Timing belt and all pulleys and tensioner
Water pump
Spark plugs
New radiator fan switch
Oil change
Plug wires
Fuel pump replace with small improvement
Fuel filter replace no change
Cleaned MAF sensor
Cleaned throttle body (not very well but wasn’t very dirty)

Tested:
Compression
185-205 across the board so not timing jumped or would have lost consistent compression
Fuel psi at 39~ or so (new pump)
Spark test was pulling each wire and got equal power loss across all four cylinders
Fuel injectors however, randomly 3 of the 4 will have little to no effect pulling wires of injectors at idle (or any other RPM)
Noid light test shows similar results of randomly lost electrical signal
Injectors each click
Resistance at a proper ~.8 for wiring and around 11-12 per injector
Cam and crank sensors appear to be working, both will kill engine when unplugged and are clean and metal tabs of reluctor rings on crank and cam appear to be in place
Iac valve is the electrical and water type, and before I knew better I adjusted it way up and was able to trick the motor into running smoother. Put it back where it was before, as it still popped and misfired.
Checked for vacuum leaks and didn’t find any
Running correct temperatures not overheating
Found O2 sensor (3 wire) to be dirty that I replace this summer with him in Portland so we swapped with a custom one and kept the old one. Found one of the prongs in the harness was pushed back into its connector so fixed that and no change. Jerry rigged the new one in with our own wire and connectors to avoid cutting the old one and that left us zero change.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is supposedly a hydraulic lifter motor with no adjustments out of a ~94-95 legacy, 2.2l SOHC

I’ll do my best to answer questions and I’ll post a pic or two if I can. I’m in Seattle currently and owner and van and girlfriend in Mexico still.

heres a shot of the van:

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

So WTF Stu,
Are they stuck or mobile but poorly?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
So WTF Stu,
Are they stuck or mobile but poorly?

Mobile but can’t get going fast enough to drive the highway safely back to El Centro and doesn’t want to cause further damage by driving the 200 miles back. Staying at Pete’s Camp in San Felipe next to a mail place and a Autozone so in a decent place for the moment but not on the move so to speak.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

Check Engine Light on? Codes?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

So they can’t make it to El Centro much less San Diego. Am I going to need to get a tow dolly and go get them? If so, I need to know ASAP
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
Check Engine Light on? Codes?

Set it up for blink test and found no codes.

Gary, I don’t think we are at tow dolly stage yet.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

Plugged up exhaust?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

20 pounds of compression is a huge swing. is this on 1 bank, or opposing banks?

I still think the timing is the culprit. what marks did you use? this sounds like a classic eversinceya...

like I said in the p/m....triple check the timing marks. if you didn't torque the center crank bolt properly it could have sheered the tooth off of the crank sprocket....or shifted it somewhat so the crank correlation could be off even if the marks are on.

OBD1 is such a pile of shit....seriously. you will need to check everything the old fashion way....bust out the FSM and the DVOM.

beyond what I have told you, I have nothing to offer without seeing it in person. have I mentioned OBD1 sucks?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

I used the belt lines for the timing marks and double checked the pulley marks. The van ran fine down to San Felipe, and when we went to leave two days later it had instantly change. It wasn’t gradual or anything.

I’ll get the comp numbers and post them up

206-841-7324
[email protected]
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

My 2.2 jumped the timing belt and still had some compression but wasnt correct. Low power (nothing above 50mph). Mis at idle and a bit above. Every plug pulled did the same thing, not much diff. Happened when I roll started the vehicle. Only jumped two teeth.

All of the sudden too and no change in codes (still the trans signal code, as usual).

Even with a massive air leak my van was running fairly well but the IAC results make me wonder about unmetered air.

My money is on the timing.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
veloandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

What a mystery! If you hook up a vacuum gauge and follow this guide: http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/05/08/quick-tec...-problems/ it could help you diagnose what’s up ( clogged exhaust, valve timing, etc.)

Old school, but super helpful.

Good luck!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

Comp numbers
3-4
1-2

190-205
200-200

Micah had them written down I misremembered them.

As for the crank bolt I jammed a pry bar in the flywheel and he cranked it tight with a breaker bar and red locktite so it’s not Lois but to check timing he has to get it back off. Not an easy task. I will suggest he get a cam lock tool and get it all back apart to check everything. It’s acting like timing but why would the injectors not fire consistently?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

i locked my crank w a belt off my jeans. you dont need any special tools for that task. Any taller mechanico worth his weight in beach sand will know the old belt trick. I just learned it from one of my employees Very Happy .

Im interested to know what you find. After my belt jump last week I am eager to see if this is a common malady. Rolling Eyes

OH MEXICO
IT SOUNDS SO SWEET
WITH THE SUN SINKIN' LOW
THE MOONS SO BRIGHT
LIKE TO LIGHT UP THE LIGHT
MAKE EVERYTHING ALL RIGHT .

Buenos suerte amigo.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
i locked my crank w a belt off my jeans. you dont need any special tools for that task. Any taller mechanico worth his weight in beach sand will know the old belt trick. I just learned it from one of my employees Very Happy .

Im interested to know what you find. After my belt jump last week I am eager to see if this is a common malady. Rolling Eyes

OH MEXICO
IT SOUNDS SO SWEET
WITH THE SUN SINKIN' LOW
THE MOONS SO BRIGHT
LIKE TO LIGHT UP THE LIGHT
MAKE EVERYTHING ALL RIGHT .

Buenos suerte amigo.

Do tell I actually don’t know this trick and would love to learn it.

Like I said it took me wedging a pry bar in the flywheel through the starter hole to get it off and back on tight this last round so obviously I was clueless Wink on the other hand it took a four foot bar and two of us to bust it loose so it was on there pretty good in the first place.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

Maybe check the 12v supply to the injectors and all the engine grounds.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

Good point.....could be a ground issue for sure.

Meh....I. know there are work arounds for this stuff....but I am a tool junky....and proper torque.

Have fun with that loc tite....the crank snout is pretty delecate imho....seen many damaged

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

Bad gas? Did you fill-up just before this started to happen?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

I'm just throwing darts, but it sounds like a bad coil to me, they can be quite schizophrenic
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

Wrap a belt around the alternator and the around crank pulley to prevent turning. Probably catch hell for this but here’s a diagram.

I’ve also seen it done w a belt and a steel bar laid across the engine hatch. Might better for your alternator.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 vanagon - 94 Subaru Stuck in San felipe MX Reply with quote

A piece of stout rope will work as well. 3/8" or larger, preferably not too stretchy. Static climbing rope will work as will climbing sling.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: