Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

I've searched various threads and most are pretty old now. I want an inch/pound torque wrench for the oil strainer bolt and for the rocker arms when I go to refurb the push rod tubes.

Everything I've seen starts off at 10inch/lbs and my understanding is that the strainer bolt needs to be 9 inch pounds (I haven't looked up what the rocker arms are).

I prefer to buy from Amazon, flaps, or one of the vw venders if possible.

On Amazon I found this bike torque wrench that seems like it would work.

https://www.amazon.com/VENZO-Bicycle-Torque-Wrench...que+wrench
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

I have had no problems with the Harbor Freight torque wrenches over the years. I have compared my 3/8 and 1/2" drive sizes to other brands when i have worked on cars with friends where we have both brought our own tools and seen no significant difference between brands. But have not compared my 1/4" drive inch-pounder to another.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

It’s 9 foot pounds for the oil strainer wrench. You don’t need a torque wrench for that , just awareness.

It’s needs to be tight enough to seal but not leak , it’s not a torque critical fastener as opposed to one that has bad consequences of overtorque.

Get a 12 inch extension, and a gallon milk. Practice using your hand wrist, elbow in combination to estimate lifting 8 pounds of milk. Once you learn what works , use that force on a 12 inch extension and it won’t leak.

It’s important to learn how to estimate this as one day you will be in the boonies and need to do this to a head bolt, a rocker shaft, a fuel pump nut, whatever.

Remember all the folks carrying their torque wrenches around ? They are 99% uncalibrsted from being banged around, and most of them are 100 foot LB range or more, with errors if 4-6 ft lbs
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

Hey there,

As mentioned above, you can tighten your strainer bolt without a torque wrench. The point is not to gorilla fist the wrench. If you're nervous to do so, then buy a tool.

I bought a couple of torque wrenches, several years ago. If you're not afraid to spend a little bit, these are well made:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KL4HZ8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm pretty sure they make them for some pretty reputable brands. I love tools and don't have a problem collecting them...you never know when you might need one.

Best of luck!

a.
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

Oil strainer bolt torque is 9 foot pounds, not inch pounds.

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

scubaseas wrote:
Oil strainer bolt torque is 9 foot pounds, not inch pounds.

Yup. I think he wrote that in error. I think he realized he couldn't get a torque wrench with a reading that low and may have jumbled things up in his mind. Simply multiplying by 12 on the inch/lb wrench will net him the results he's after. Cool
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

9 ft lbs. However a small beam type 0-50 inch pound torque wrench comes in handy. Lots of them show up on ebay. Beam style aren't as convenient as click style but they stay calibrated as long as the laws of physics don't change.
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

9 foot pounds= 108 inch pounds=12.2 Newton Meters

Any "click type" torque wrench in the range will work. The OP's choice is almost out of range for rocker nuts. Which I believe are 24.4NM or about 18 ft lbs?

Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

You must not have done a basic quick scan through the lesser forums......this is a current thread running 2nd from the top of the page on the "General Chat" forum....about torque wrenches. Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695710&start=0

The biggest problem with some of the cheaper beam type torque wrenches.....is very poor pointer design and really large parallax errors unless you are careful to look at them straight on.
The Craftsman small beam type torque wrench.....is still a fairly good value...but the height if the point above the scale, the width and shape and the skinny line.....make it very hard to visually get it dead on unless you take care with how you use it.

For example....this makes it functionally worthless for torquing spark plugs inside of an engine bay of anything but my water cooled VW.

At one time....you could find beam type wrenches that had either a mirrored strip under the needle on the scale so you could get an accurate reference of the line on the tip from an angle....or they had a thin vertical pin on the end of the pointer that gave a very off angle viewing accuracy.
Long ago I have seen beam type wrenches with both.

The biggest problem with beam wrenches (and really all torque wrenches) is improper usage. Ray
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I don't know where I got inch/pound from but I swear that's what I saw recommended. That makes things a little easier.

As far as searching, I only searched this sub forum, in fact, other than the ghia forum I rarely visit the other sub forums:o
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Thanks guys. I don't know where I got inch/pound from but I swear that's what I saw recommended. That makes things a little easier.

As far as searching, I only searched this sub forum, in fact, other than the ghia forum I rarely visit the other sub forums:o

You are correct in saying inch pounds. For the low torque setting just multiply by 12 and there you have your inch pound conversion.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

Wheeler inch pound drivers can be had where firearm accessories are sold.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

Even a cheapie from Harbor Freight is better than not having one. $20. You just have to know its limitations.

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61276.html
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

Pendantic engineer, here. It's

in-lb
ft-lb
N-m

Not in/lb, inch/pound, ft lb, or NM, etc.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

Is the choice between a 1/4 and a 3/8 drive just a matter of personal preference or is there a reason to go with one over the other?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Is the choice between a 1/4 and a 3/8 drive just a matter of personal preference or is there a reason to go with one over the other?

personally 3/8" sockets are more common. That said you can get adapters that go from 1/4" to 3/8" in either direction. If you are working on small bolts/nuts, 1/4" drive sockets are more common - 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm bolt heads etc.. As to a torque wrench I would use 3/8" for small sockets and 1/2" or even larger if using really large sockets like T1 gland nuts or rear wheel axles. It is easy to put a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter on if needed.

Torqueing bolts on larger American V8 engines usually requires a 1/2" torque wrench and socket because some head and main bolts can be more than a 3/8" wrench can handle.

Normally most mechanics are endeared to their torque wrench(s) so buy one you will be happy with the rest of your life. They can often be recalibrated. Mine go to TeamTorque.com every few years. Don't be afraid of used ones unless they are beat up and broken. If a clicker quits clicking you can call TeamTorque and ask if they can fix that brand. Often it is just hardened grease in the wrench.
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

I have never really trusted myself with John Muir’s advice of waiting till your wrist tendon clicks way of doing this job. My 1976 owners manual says between 7 and 9 ft. lb, so I go for 7, in my opinion 9 is the absolute max. (See image of page in manual below).

I use a calibrated 3/8" sq drive torque wrench made by Teng for this job, and it is a tool that I am happy with, it has a range of 3-18 ft. lb / 5-25NM.

http://www.tengtools.com/torque-wrenches/

http://www.teng.co.uk/3892ag-e1-3892ag-e3-teng-tools-3-8-drive-torque-wrenches.html

If you look here in their online catalogue, they make a 1/4 inch square drive version as well, even better for the job than my one:

http://www.e-magin.se/paper/kqtnmrbq/paper/264

Best is being patient and starting low on a scale, gradually torquing from say 4ft lb, then another adjustment, then a final one up to 7 ft lb gets the torque spot on, rather than going in for the maximum torque straight away.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

OP wrote
Quote:

You may want to buy two. One for inch pounds or very low range and one for the rest of the engine. Ideally with a click type you are in the middle of the tool's range. So I would not trust one rated from 10 to 60 ft pounds to do a good job reading 7 to 9 foot pounds.

A 1/4" drive Inch Pound for the strainer cover and a 3/8" drive for everything else on the engine.

Bar or balance type work OK only if you can read them straight on. Click type are easy as long as they are calibrated and not abused after said calibration. Click type can be used upside down, back handed and blind folded. You may need to get a 1/4" one that can do 20 to 200 inch-pounds (9 ft pound = 108 Inch pound) https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-2696.html

And a 3/8" drive click type for the rest of the engine like this one https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61276.html I would NOT trust this 3/8" drive one at the low end to accurately measure 9 ft pounds.

Please do not flame me for HF links. I prefer Sunnen or other name brand. Might be fine with HF or it might just be cheap Chinese crap. Just using the HF links as examples. Not saying go buy one of those.

Retired
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

The "Pittsburgh" brand clicker torque wrenches I received from Harbor Freight were junk.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help me find a suitable inch/pound torque wrench please Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
The "Pittsburgh" brand clicker torque wrenches I received from Harbor Freight were junk.

the specs are pretty poor on those. I'd look for higher quality used ones at estate sales etc., and have it serviced. Someone could probably buy a $400 wrench for $25 and with servicing have a really quality one for under $80. 1/4" are harder to find. Also many clickers stop clicking because the grease hardens inside. It's a simple fix. Probably find one of those for $5 - $10. Estate and moving sales etc people just want to get rid of the used stuff - used tools don't bring a lot, even used like new Snapon sets. Every guy over 60 who works on cars has a torque wrench. When they pass the wife and/or kids just want to get rid of the old tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: