Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Weber 40 IDF fuel line routing
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Early Weber 40 IDF fuel line routing Reply with quote

I have been working on an early set of Weber 40 IDF carburators that have roller pumps and they are both Right hand side carbs. When mounted on the engine, I will have the right side carb fuel inlet facing the front of the car. But the passenger side carb fuel inlet will be facing the rear of the car.
Has anybody come up with a clean solution in routing of the fuel lines? I've entertained the idea of carefully cutting off the barb end on the carb top and use a slip-compression fit 5/16 to an AN fitting. like this http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/165056/10002/-1

Then 6AN fitting to a U to redirect the inlet towards the front of the car.

I've searched through tons of pictures and threads, but everyone has the IDF carb top with Threaded inlets coming out either way, which would be so simple!

I really would like to keep this as simple as possible, but really don't like the idea of using 5/16" rubber line formed in a hard "U" to get behind the fan shroud. Is there something really easy that I'm missing? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Weber 40 IDF fuel line routing Reply with quote

If it was my carburator and I needed to move the inlet so it matched the other carb,
I would remove top and drill and tap for a fitting on opposite side of where the fuel inlet is now.
A 1/8NPT thread and 5/16" barbed fitting would be simple to do. Either remove the original fitting and drill and tap for a plug or a use a piece of hose with something a bolt or? plugging it.

This is just one solution there are other ways to do it.

Imagination is a wonderful tool.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Weber 40 IDF fuel line routing Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast response! I was just in the shop looking at it, and had the same thought. I saw a picture of an early Porsche with IDFs, and noticed the hard line from the fuel pump running directly to the left carburator. And the other side of the carb top tapped with another fitting, and the line running to the passenger side carb.
That might be the way I go....just when I though I was about ready to install these. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Weber 40 IDF fuel line routing Reply with quote

IF doing NON-AN fittings...

This may be your fuel inlet.

http://www.carburetion.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?
Part=10525.023

This may be matching plug.

http://www.carburetion.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?Part=61002.022

Just besure you use proper size drill bit, have correct tap, and use caution, carb body is very thing there and brittle material...

Personal I would stay with "soft" lines it could be a nightmare to get rigid lines to look right.... And Lots of expensive AN fittings if cost is a factor...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Weber 40 IDF fuel line routing Reply with quote

Thanks! Thats great advice too. I haven't uploaded pics on here in quite a while. But when I get this sorted out, I will take pics of the steps and update this thread.
I did a few hour search today looking for early carbs, and fuel line routing. I didn't see anything like I was after. Maybe this will help someone else someday. I had really hoped to add a weblink mod like Scott Novak's thread, but with early shafts, I just can't see there being enough threaded area to work with.
sideshow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Early Weber 40 IDF fuel line routing Reply with quote

I did the 1/8 npt --> -04 fitting. Yes this involves drilling and tapping the fuel inlet boss. The later IDF are easier in that a M-10 ORB to -04 can just bolt in. Never tried anything other than 1/4 inch fuel line (push lock to -04) either. JIC (steel or brass) from the local hydraulic store, steel 1/4 hard line for long runs, durable, tough, better than bling parts
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Weber 40 IDF fuel line routing Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
IF doing NON-AN fittings...

This may be your fuel inlet.

http://www.carburetion.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?
Part=10525.023

This may be matching plug.

http://www.carburetion.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?Part=61002.022

Just besure you use proper size drill bit, have correct tap, and use caution, carb body is very thing there and brittle material...

Personal I would stay with "soft" lines it could be a nightmare to get rigid lines to look right.... And Lots of expensive AN fittings if cost is a factor...

Dale

I purchased the fittings today that you recommended from Carbs Unlimited. I never knew about that site, they have quite a few items that I haven't found anywhere else. Thanks for the tip! I will follow up when I get them installed.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Weber 40 IDF fuel line routing Reply with quote

sideshow wrote:
I did the 1/8 npt --> -04 fitting. Yes this involves drilling and tapping the fuel inlet boss. The later IDF are easier in that a M-10 ORB to -04 can just bolt in. Never tried anything other than 1/4 inch fuel line (push lock to -04) either. JIC (steel or brass) from the local hydraulic store, steel 1/4 hard line for long runs, durable, tough, better than bling parts

I've already plumbed in steel lines and fittings behind my fanshroud with a holley fuel regulator years ago, for running Dellorto 34 FRDs. I believe I ran 5/16" hard line at the time to match what was on the inlet of the 34's. I used rubber line at a minimum, only where some flexing was needed for engine vibration. I can't stand how quickly fuel hose deteriorates these days (even fuel injection hose). Originally I thought AN fittings would be the way to go, but that adds up really fast in price! Thanks for the input on the pushlock line. I may use that on another engine soon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: