Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"J" tubes and sled tins
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

I'm at a point in my engine build that I am installing the exhaust.
I have an 1 5/8" merged header and the "J" tubes pass below the push rod tubes.
I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do about sled tins to deflect the spent cooling air out the rear of the lower portion of the engine.
I did a search and found a few tins that were modified and some were custom made. But really none of them were great.

So I'm curious. What have you done when running "J" tubes?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Industrial-Cooling-Ti...g-tins.htm

These are probably what you're looking for
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

You're going to have to modify stock sleds and fabricate tins to close it off. Industrial tins will not work with that header.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

Although some maintain that the sled tins aid cooling, I'm not really convinced..... I mean....maybe, it is logical to direct the hot air backward if the car is going forwards, but the air under there is going all different directions, so common sense may not actually work. Certianly the first 2" of the sled tins are important because they have a shape in them that directs the air AROUND the cylinders, just like the back smaller pieces that bolt below the upper tins. In fact, they may be identical, I know one side is but maybe not #3. yeah, if you cut the #1 sled tin you can make it into a #4 rear deflector.

Anyway, right sled tin is important to run if you have a thermostat, but if you don't, then, maybe it isn't worth re-creating the sled tins exactly VW did. You can make your own solution.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Anyway, right sled tin is important to run if you have a thermostat, but if you don't, then, maybe it isn't worth re-creating the sled tins exactly VW did. You can make your own solution.

You can't fit the thermostat one most headers that run under the cylinders.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

Sadly there will be no therostat on this build. So that will not interfere wit the sled tins.
So what I'm guessing is that most don't even run sled tins with "J" tubes.

Thank you for the input so far.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

You can make them fit. A simple washer welded and a hose clamp makes for a secure fit
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

I remember that they help over 45mph. Hard for the air to exit underneath, high pressure low pressure not playing well. If you have ever messed with HVAC, you’ll understand. I just cut a hole and put it through. Industrial tins on outside
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

The Berg headers clear the thermostat and stock sleds.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

I have not run thermostat or sled tins in over 30 years and none of my engines have ever melted down.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

Quote:
I have not run thermostat or sled tins in over 30 years and none of my engines have ever melted down.

That is a worthless statement because there is no way to measure the effect ( good, bad or indifferent) of simply leaving parts of the motor and saying " it didnt melt down ".
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

I have an Empi 1 5/8" hide away muffler installed on my 1600. The sled tins fit great, no interference.

Now, after I installed the muffler, it seemed like the car was running hotter, than it did with the stock muffler with heater boxes. So, I bought an IR temperature gun and kept it in the glove box. I recorded, for over two weeks the temperature at the head, right next to the exhaust exit port. I do not remember the numbers, I would have to get back into my old notes, but the temps surprised me, I wanna say around 265. So, I fabricated some Industrial tins from a template from tS. Bolted them onto the engine and went for a drive. They do not bolt to the heads, they just rest upon them on the underside near the valve cover gasket. With the IR gun, I noted a rough 40 degrees drop on both sides, at that spot on the heads. The car no longer smelled hot or acted like it was hot. It has been a great improvement!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

I just posted in my rebuild thread a few pics where I fit the sled and industrial tins around the roll cage. Which is like a header. What I did was use a hole saw to cut a hole where the tube will go through the sled tin, cleaned it up with a die grinder and then cut the tin in half across the hole with an air-hacksaw. The top part of the tin bolts to the cylinder shroud and the bottom part bolts to the case. The industrial tins bolt to the lower sled.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I have an Empi 1 5/8" hide away muffler installed on my 1600. The sled tins fit great, no interference.

So, I fabricated some Industrial tins from a template from tS. Bolted them onto the engine and went for a drive. They do not bolt to the heads, they just rest upon them on the underside near the valve cover gasket. With the IR gun, I noted a rough 40 degrees drop on both sides, at that spot on the heads. The car no longer smelled hot or acted like it was hot. It has been a great improvement!

I have the same exhaust system with the hide away muffler.

Do you remember the link for the sled tin template?
I picked up a crappy set of sled tins from Avery's Aircooled last weekend knowing that I would need to fabricate/fit them with the header.
I can only imagine the head temps with a 2180.
This is what I'm dealing with,

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I have an Empi 1 5/8" hide away muffler installed on my 1600.

1-5/8" is way too big for a 1600.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" tubes and sled tins Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
I have an Empi 1 5/8" hide away muffler installed on my 1600.

1-5/8" is way too big for a 1600.

He might be just referring to the muffler.
But for a header? Shocked Yeah, I agree that it's too big.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: