Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New '95 EVC Owner
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

Pulled the fridge hoping to solve the LP hard-starting and maintaining flame. Ordered a new burner orifice and relighter board for the Norcold 3163 from Norcoldguy.com.

Burner is Norcold PN 621951. Relighter board is PN 633326, replaces original PN 619868 and PN 617964.

Used this tutorial - https://1705.net/norcold-3163-removal-cleaning/ Very good.

I have not reinstalled the fridge, I turned the unit on its side to get to the burner box and want to let it sit upright for 24hrs. The existing burner orifice looked like new so I didn't replace it, seemed unnecessary.

Only one glitch with the new relighter board, the two white DC wires to the 'interruptor' switch were too short. Had to add a 4" section of 14AWG wire to each with butt connectors.

Should be ok, fridge worked before, should work again, hopefully better.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

With the fridge removed, tried to find the fresh water leak, no luck. It's a steady one-second drip that manifests itself at the sliding door lower channel. The carpet for the front section gets wet at the transition to the cargo area, but only from the table storage area to the sliding door.

There is no water that I can find in the fridge opening, no signs of water damage, no drips on the driverside underneath, it has to be seeping under the Winnebago-installed floor directly from the water tank. I inspected the connections at the waterpump, no seep. No seep from the winterizing valve.

I guess my choices are to remove the entire driverside rear to check the water tank itself, or live with it.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

Fridge out, I sprayed BoomMat rattlecan deadener onto the van skin. Bought Reflectix from Home Depot, will add that after the BoomMat cures using 3M Marine Adhesive, that is some stout adhesive.

I don't know if it will be effective, just an effort to reduce interior noise. Also found there was a lot of loose screws here, there, and everywhere. Many of the fasteners from the original install were loose.

Fiddling around I've noticed the Winnebago plastic covers are loose enough to add to the overall vibrating/buzziness of the van. There are about 400 Winnebago screws on this van, but easy to get to. I figure remove the panels, some foam weatherstrip, reinstall, buzzes and vibrations are reduced.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

Had trbl with the new relighter board for the Norcold, see here - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8797004#8797004

I believe the relighter board was the LP trbl, and still is a problem because of a faulty replacement board. No sweat for now, I'm going fishing for a few days and will carry two collapsible coolers.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

Well dang, I couldn't stay off of Craigslist. Bought a 2003 EVC. $28k, 126k miles. No rust, been in Colorado all of its life. LP tank had been serviced a few years ago by CampingWorld, new hoses, regulator. Fiamma F45 awning is only a few years old.

No leaks that I could find, drives well, shifts well. A bit nicked up outside, needs poptop struts. So I get to do again what I did to the '95 - Lift, trans flush, coolant flush, brake flush, little of this, little of that.

Solves the lack of power and 1WD of the '95.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

I noticed this 2003 has the same gap on the sliding door lower seal, must be a common issue. Same fix, foam weatherstrip. 2003 doesn't have the bottom channel filled with debris like the '95.

'03 has some issues, but seems fundamentally sound. No chassis rust, Colorado vehicle since new. No leaks. Under the front end there's no sign of longterm leaks.

PO had some maintenance records since 2013, Carfax didn't show much since new. No mention of major repairs, no mention of autotrans flushes but it shifts smoothly. Little bit of shimmy driving at 70mph+.
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

With regards to the water leak issue ...

I discovered that the back end of my flooring was rotting & black with mold (2-3 foot section near the rear hatch). It was the result of a very small leak in the rear shower hose head. I knew it leaked so I wouldn't use it, but in the early days of van ownership, I didn't realize that whenever I ran the pump "for the faucet by the sink" the pump ALSO sent water to the rear hose. There was a nice flow of water coming out of the bad shower head that apparently collected around the floor. Once I replaced the shower hose head, the leaking stopped & my floor/van/carpet has never been wet from leaks. Wet from dogs knocking over water bowl - yep, but not from leaks or drips inside the van.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

CoastieLFS wrote:
With regards to the water leak issue ...

I discovered that the back end of my flooring was rotting & black with mold (2-3 foot section near the rear hatch). It was the result of a very small leak in the rear shower hose head. I knew it leaked so I wouldn't use it, but in the early days of van ownership, I didn't realize that whenever I ran the pump "for the faucet by the sink" the pump ALSO sent water to the rear hose. There was a nice flow of water coming out of the bad shower head that apparently collected around the floor. Once I replaced the shower hose head, the leaking stopped & my floor/van/carpet has never been wet from leaks. Wet from dogs knocking over water bowl - yep, but not from leaks or drips inside the van.

Thanks. I'll dig into the rear hose, I read that it's accessed via pulling out the converter box.
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

If you never use the pump switch, then that's a good idea. On my '95, the water line turned out to be TWO sections joined by a plastic connector. I switched that out for a brass one. Take note of how the water line runs above the electronics. I couldn't believe the design that would allow a leak to drip on the electronics. I inserted a cover over the electronics to divert water away (just in case.) Sorry, no pictures of that.

If you do use the pump switch by the sink, then you can press the switch by the rear shower head to see if any water drips out of the head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

Pulled the converter box out on the '95, the water leak is not from the accessible rear hose connection. I'll have to yank the driverside stuff out, furnace, etc, and find the leak.

The '03, been going through it a little. VW put a 5-point tamper proof Torx screw on the MAF, jebus. Oddball way of doing things, had to use needlenose visegrip to get them out. I have 6-point tamper proof Torx, 5-point is oddball.

'03 had oil in the air intake tube from MAF-to-engine. I think it was PS fluid, there was a lot of gunk built up on the PS tank and on the air intake tube downstream from the MAF sensor.

There was a mousenest built on top of the engine, mouse had torn the firewall insulation out to build the nest. Replaced it with Reflectix using 3M spray adhesive. Cabin air filter the three Allen bolts holding the mount to the firewall were loose, one was almost all the way out, not sure how that happened.

'03 runs well, shifts well, brakes well, no leaks. I got an autotrans dipstick kit from EuropartsSD, will have it installed with an Amsoil flush-n-fill, fresh Amsoil 5w-40 engine oil, brake flush, coolant flush, final drive drain-n-fill. And a iift.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

PO of the 2003 sent me some parts he had pre-ordered from this place - http://www.winnebagoparts.com

They have a comprehensive parts list .pdf for the Winnie conversion - http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/wincd/2003/ev117a.pdf
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

Isolated the water leak to the tank itself. This pic shows the output from tank to water pump at the bottom rear of the tank:

I can get my finger under the black threaded connector plug and the hose connection - no water.

But under the extrusion from the tank I get water on my finger and I can SEE the slow drip. Van was facing uphill, tank completely full. The electrical connections are not leaking, nor is the fill connection.

Two more pics:

Access to the tank is easy enough, remove driverside rear bed support panel, remove furnace hoses and connector box, remove four screws holding the wood access panel. Two are at the bottom of the wood cover, one is accessed via the wardrobe, one via the middle storage drawer.

Removing the tank could be difficult, and I don't know what the cost/availability is for a replacement. I'll leave it as is. As long as the van is facing slightly uphill the teeny leak will drain onto the metal van floor and out the rear end, won't get near the wood flooring.

I don't see or feel signs of deteriorated wood on the Winnebago-installed flooring, and things dry out fast here in the West.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

Such poor workmanship. Why didn’t they bond the fitting to the tank, then make a single connection with a proper clamp for a mobile application instead of that toy store stuff?
Mookacb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

Broseph, no rubbing issues with the 225/70r16 tires? What is the offset of your wheels?

Thanks!
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

Mookacb wrote:
Broseph, no rubbing issues with the 225/70r16 tires? What is the offset of your wheels?

Thanks!

A teeny bit, really of no consequence. ET42 offset, I was told by CaveVan Cole that ET42-49 works. CaveVan Cole also recommended the 225/70/16's. Teeny bit of rubbing at left turn full lock, gets the plastic inner wheelwell liner I think, but isn't cutting into it severely that I can see signs of.

The front bumper plastic at the very bottom edge got rubbed off a bit at first, rubbed off maybe 1mm. I've had it offroad lock-to-lock on switchbacks uphill and downhill, over rocks, through gullies, nothing of consequence.

One thing, I showed the BrakesPlus alignment guy after the lift install how tight the tire fit was in the wheelwell, told him do not adjust the caster. Didn't need caster, only camber to compensate for the lift.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

RE: the fresh water leak - winnebagoparts.com called Winnebago, the water tank is NLA. I doubt there is any feasible option but leave as is.

Neighbor said pull the black connector, dope it, reinstall. I don't think that's a good idea because I doubt that's where the leak originates.

The van was on a steep uphill (my steep driveway), I checked numerous times with my finger and no trace of water underneath the connector, only under the tank extrusion.

I'll inform buyers about the leak, if I was keeping it I wouldn't worry about it. To me, a simple workaround is when traveling leave the tank empty until you're near your destination, then fill it. I've filled RV water tanks many times at gas stations, RV parks while on the road rather than traveling with a full tank. Every time I've asked if I can hook my hose up they've said go ahead.

The water DOES drip out the rear if the van is uphill, doesn't pool causing dryrot to the wood floor. There is no Winnebago wood flooring under the water tank, so I would simply make sure when camping the van nose was slightly uphill.

Also, I've carried these Coghlan 5g water containers for years - https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Collapsible-Water-Container-5-Gallon/dp/B006EHACXS Easy to fill them, then transfer to the tank with a funnel.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

A marine supply house will have a tank near that size if you want to replace it. They make a huge array of shapes and sizes to accomodate small spaces for water supply.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
A marine supply house will have a tank near that size if you want to replace it. They make a huge array of shapes and sizes to accomodate small spaces for water supply.

Thanks. Neighbor suggested the same, he recently replaced a grey tank on a 1992 trailer the manufacturer was long out of business. A Road Ranger trailer. $240.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

The '03 has an exhaust leak - here it is at the backside of the muffler (covered with JBWeld now). The pipe-to-muffler connection has a crack on the top also, JBWelded that also, JBWeld ExtremeHeat.

Looking at the exhaust setup it's pretty shaky. The rear hanger is connected OK, but the rubber hanger moves quite a bit and I suppose the movement over the years has caused the cracks.

I see the heat shield over the muffler is pretty stout, maybe some plumbers strap wrapped around it and the muffler will keep it stable, plumbers strap around the pipe also.

Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New '95 EVC Owner Reply with quote

BTW, seems like this 2003 has a larger turning circle compared to the '95. '95 is pretty tight, about the same as my '08 4Runner, '03 not so much. Here's a good read about the 2001+ Eurovan and EVC:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-UwjvsNjTMlWGVPem44akYzQUk/view

Says turning circle is 47', seems like the 1995 EVC is about 40'

I'll sure miss the glovebox on the '95 and the tray on the dash, 2003 has much better brakes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: