Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Polished concrete floors in your house
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

We're contemplating doing some remodeling and looking at floor options. Does anyone have and words of wisdom regarding concrete floors (versus wood floors, tile, carpet,) in the living space of your home? I see they can come in all colors patterns, designs, etc.

How about cost, maintenance. durability.

If you have one do you like it?

Are there things to avoid when getting one installed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

Concrete floors are generally not “installed” to an existing structure, it’s just enhancing an existing slab floor. Are you on a slab now? If not then you shouldn’t add that sort of weight to the structure. If you do have a slab, do not put wood or faux-wood over the top of it due to moisture issues, concrete stays cold & moisture will build up due to condensation and natural breathing of the concrete which will result in mold & warpage no matter what vapor barriers are used (usually the same sheet of plastic you would use to keep the floor clean when you paint)

Carpet is usually laid down right on the slab & just traps all the crap that gets tracked in & out of the house, just pull up an old carpet & you’ll see how much crap filters through.

I thought about polished concrete but decided against it due to the mess & possible health issues (60s house with asbestos linoleum (had to keep linoleum wet as we removed it, & painted the vapor barrier right over the top of remaining backer & adhesive.).),and used large tile & a painted on vapor barrier. Easy to clean, we use area carpets that are easily removed for cleaning or change in decor.

If you’re not on a slab, I don’t suggest tile due to the flexibility/expansion rate differences of the wood/tile, sure it’s done all the time, but most of the time the tile lifts or cracks.

Do not use faux-wood/engineered flooring ( Its Just dense particle board with something attractive printed on top.), lots of nasty chemicals & that shit buckles & warps as it soaks up water like a sponge if a kid or a pet “spills”something on it (neither of which are known to clean it up.).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

my buddy re-did his basement about a year ago and used ceramic(?) tile, maybe it was concrete tile, that has a wood grain look to it for the floor. tiles were like 6"x 12" roughly. They look real nice and have held up well for the past year.
I would have to agree with the suggestions above regarding mixing and matching materials, using concrete tile where there was none or not on slab or foundation, etc...
Carpet is old news, I can't believe anyone still uses it.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

I polished the old concrete slab in my house, removed the old ugly tile, rented a polishing machine, acid stained the concrete, sealed it, and have been living on it for 5 years, it’s good! Depending on which sealer you choose the floors are extremely durable and easy to clean.I did my wife’s store the same way and she has a lot morefoot traffic than our house does with no visible wear on the floors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

The only thing i can say is that the concrete is unforgiving on your heels and back Find some indoor shoes with cushioned soles
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

If you are on slab, you can have it polished. It takes a floor grinder with stones on it and it ain't quick. With the floor polished, you want to seal it so things like red wine don't stain. You can tint the sealer as well to change the color of the floor.
If it's a new slab, a steel trowel finish is what you want, with sealer.
Other than that, rethink your game plan. Adding a slab over wood joist is a bad idea, unless engineerd.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

As someone who has built many homes of many different kinds, the one flooring material I would not want to walk on every day is concrete. Slab-on-grade homes are done because it is usually the cheapest option, not the best.

I like wood flooring systems, with either REAL wood or REAL Linoleum covering or carpet in limited areas. If the OP wants to add an area of concrete that will be used as a sunroom or such that can use the mass as a heating and cooling tool passively, that would make sense.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

Had a slow time back several years ago and hit up a subcontractor, who did decroative concrete work, to let me work for him til my workload increased again. I spent two months with them. Concrete becomes really slick when it is finished. We used an epoxy sealer that was super slick. We would mix in silica sand to give some traction. Highly reccommend some sort of traction producing substance. Polished floors would be dangerous and COLD. But they can lay radiant water systems in the concrete. Pex tubing goes down first, followed by a few inches of high strenght self leveling concrete.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

X2 on the heated floor.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
X2 on the heated floor.

A good friend has hydronic floor heat in the slab of his large metal fab shop. It is really nice to lay on a warm floor when working on broken equipment in the winter. He keeps it at 55 degrees all the time.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
. But they can lay radiant water systems in the concrete. Pex tubing goes down first, followed by a few inches of high strength self leveling concrete.

Has this done in a new bathroom we put in. Tied the floor heat into our natural gas and loved it this past winter. we used the wood look tiles on the floor
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

The whole 1st floor of my house is tile, stairs and second floor excluding bathrooms are carpet.
Tile is cold and hard, so I wear shoes downstairs, leave them at foot of the stairs, to keep the carpet as clean as possible.
Cleaning the tile is no problem, but what ever you drop on a tile floor breaks.
My Sister re-did her whole house in Hardwood floors, excluding bathrooms, looks real nice, hard but not cold like my tile.
Concrete is cold, & hard, and I don't think I'd like living on it.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

We have a heated concrete basement floor. It is hard on the feet but I love the warmth! That in fact is what heats the basement and it is warmer and drier than the rest of the house. Some day I plan to lay ceramic tile over it as anything else would insulate and not allow the heat through as well.

Polishing would be an option too...
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

cousineddy wrote:
I polished the old concrete slab in my house, removed the old ugly tile, rented a polishing machine, acid stained the concrete, sealed it, and have been living on it for 5 years, it’s good! Depending on which sealer you choose the floors are extremely durable and easy to clean.I did my wife’s store the same way and she has a lot morefoot traffic than our house does with no visible wear on the floors.

Yes, this is a very good way to go if you have a house with a decent slab. Etch it, stain it and polish it and it looks great. You can even come in with a wet saw first and make fake grout lines for effect.
I have a friend who has a Italian restaurant and the floors were done this way and his floors had cracks in it. It was stained very dark brown with just a smidgen of some red and orange mixed in. In a Italian restaurant that's dressed up old world style the cracks gave a even more antique look to it, so much old world charm.
You can also do a interior with a very modern feel to it this way also, depending on stain and if you want to cut it with a wet saw. The saw cuts are used to elongate a room, and keeping it light gray goes with stainless stairway handles, stiles and rails, or stainless kitchen appliances, Heck there are kitchens done using concrete for counter tops which are effective ( but they must be sealed first) . Concrete is a good way to go. Thank you Romans!
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
The whole 1st floor of my house is tile, stairs and second floor excluding bathrooms are carpet.
Tile is cold and hard, so I wear shoes downstairs, leave them at foot of the stairs, to keep the carpet as clean as possible.
Cleaning the tile is no problem, but what ever you drop on a tile floor breaks.
My Sister re-did her whole house in Hardwood floors, excluding bathrooms, looks real nice, hard but not cold like my tile.
Concrete is cold, & hard, and I don't think I'd like living on it.

The last house I sold I did it's remodel using Jasba Tile for kitchen floor and bathroom countertops and floors. I have remodeled many houses for 40+ years using Mexican, U.S., Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, and Chinese tile. That last house done in JASBA was the best tile I ever used. Made in Germany, Jasba is the toughest tile on the market. Not soft like Mexican, Portuguese tile , not medium hard like U.S and Italian tile and not hard and brittle like Chinese and Japanese tile.

Jasba cuts well with my large 12" M&K wet saw, but to do one hole for lets say a shower head pipe it will destroy one hole saw diamond cutter. It's tough stuff. I've thrown some scrap pieces against a brick wall and dropped in on a concrete floor and it's very hard to break.

The type of flooring you choose depends on where you live. Where I live Concrete and Tile are the best for durability and easiest to clean. When it's 90 Degrees out the floor is always around 68 degrees, same degree when it's snowing outside.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

I put ceramic tile in the back entrance on the wood base as a test. Never again! Wood moves too much and I am constantly replacing cracked tiles and missing grouting!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I put ceramic tile in the back entrance on the wood base as a test. Never again! Wood moves too much and I am constantly replacing cracked tiles and missing grouting!

You are right! Never lay any concrete based product over wood. The concrete will retain moisture and allow it to migrate into the wood if there is no vapor barrier installed before the concrete goes down. So, you can install tile there, you just need to install avapor barrier. We first lay down a couple layers of building paper, followed by a coat of bituthane, then a concrete mix of 4 parts clean sand to 1 part portland cement mixed till it will hold a shape of a baseball (drypack), so very dry. Put a thin layer of drypack down, then a sheet of diamond mesh (overlap it together if using more than one sheet), and another 1/2 inch of drypack, screed it level and tamp it firm. Allow it to cure overnight. Lay your chosen tile with thinset the next day. Your tile will not crack again.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

It's no problem putting a tile on a wood floor but first. The floor must be sound and level. No wood rot, sagging, and it's foundation must be sound. A wood foundation consist of solid floor joists on piers or foundation walls, a 3/4"plywood 4X8' sheets or 1"X 6" diagonal cut fur sub floor then the finished floor. Onto the finished floor you install thick roofing felt, metal leveling guides then metal lath over the felt followed by a brown coat of cement, then a scratch coat of cement, then a finishing coat of cement, then thin set mortar with the tile. Equaling 4 steps. If everything is done to the above requirement that floor is going nowhere.

These days we sometimes will skip the brown, scratch, finish coat and directly over the felt and will go a material called Wonderboard, or sometimes Durock. they are both just cement fiberglass webbed board and come in a 3' X 5' board 1/4" to 1/2" thick and are easy to cut and fit using a simple utility knife and screwed to the floor.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:

These days we sometimes will skip the brown, scratch, finish coat and directly over the felt and will go a material called Wonderboard, or sometimes Durock. they are both just cement fiberglass webbed board and come in a 3' X 5' board 1/4" to 1/2" thick and are easy to cut and fit using a simple utility knife and screwed to the floor.

I have had great luck doing it this way.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

I love polished concrete floors - durable and simple.

I will do that to my large garage when time comes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: