Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hood & deck lid seal too long/short?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Hood & deck lid seal too long/short? Reply with quote

The front hood is to o ong by at least 6". That's after I slid it back to take up some slack. Is it ok to cut it to fit?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, the decklid seal is way to short. I'm not very familiar with Ghias. So i'm not sure if it's suppose to be and should cover a certain area only?

What am I missing here? Thanks for any/all help here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hood & deck lid seal to long/short? Reply with quote

This is the correct fitting of the decklid seal...

Cut the trunk seal to fit at the 12 o' clock position.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hood & deck lid seal to long/short? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
This is the correct fitting of the decklid seal...

Cut the trunk seal to fit at the 12 o' clock position.
Fantastic. Thank you for the quick reply. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood & deck lid seal too long/short? Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
The front hood is to o ong by at least 6". That's after I slid it back to take up some slack. Is it ok to cut it to fit?

One thing is certain - if you cut the seal to fit now, you'll practically guarantee that it will shrink a bit after a few years and leave an annoying gap. Smile

Also, while I don't really know which way is the "correct" way to install the front trunk hood seal, logic tells me that the seam where the two ends meet would be better placed closest to the front of the car rather than closest to the windshield.
That way the water won''t have anywhere to sneak in at the high point, and will be forced to follow the channel down toward the front end where it can exit out the drains in the front corners (before it even gets to the seam in the front center of the channel).
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood & deck lid seal too long/short? Reply with quote

A cut in a rubber seal like that should be joined up with cynoacrylate (super) glue. It won’t be able to shrink and cause a gap.
BTW, I’m wondering if that is a seal for a Ghia? Does it have two holes for the drain tubes at the front?
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hood & deck lid seal too long/short? Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
oxsign wrote:

One thing is certain - if you cut the seal to fit now, you'll practically guarantee that it will shrink a bit after a few years and leave an annoying gap. Smile

Also, while I don't really know which way is the "correct" way to install the front trunk hood seal, logic tells me that the seam where the two ends meet would be better placed closest to the front of the car rather than closest to the windshield.
That way the water won''t have anywhere to sneak in at the high point, and will be forced to follow the channel down toward the front end where it can exit out the drains in the front corners (before it even gets to the seam in the front center of the channel).
The shrinking is/was our concern as well, that's why I made to post to see what others have done. I also think as @sputnick60 mention, that gluing the ends together will help with that as well. As for the area that the 2 ends will go, well that's also a topic of conversation, lol. it's pretty split 50/50 as to where/how it goes. Same goes with the rear hatch seal on my squareback (set at the top of the hatch, not the bottom). After doing some reading, turns out it came from the factory at the top on both. As well as for the Square front hood seal too.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hood & deck lid seal too long/short? Reply with quote

I would put that front seal on as much "compressed" as possible.
I mean don't be pulling it taught as you install and glue it in place.

I might even conside NOT gluing it for awhile if you can. The downside is that it may stick to the lid and lift off when opeing it, but doing this will allow you to glue it properly AFTER it has shrunk.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hood & deck lid seal too long/short? Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
oxsign wrote:

The shrinking is/was our concern as well, that's why I made to post to see what others have done. I also think as @sputnick60 mention, that gluing the ends together will help with that as well. As for the area that the 2 ends will go, well that's also a topic of conversation, lol. it's pretty split 50/50 as to where/how it goes. Same goes with the rear hatch seal on my squareback (set at the top of the hatch, not the bottom). [size=13]After doing some reading, turns out it came from the factory at the top on both. As well as for the Square front hood seal too.[/size

Well I did admit right up front that "I don't really know which way is the "correct" way to install the front trunk hood seal". Smile

Unfortunatey what I can't make excuses for is my not remembering/realizing that the two ends of the seal should be glued together, which would completely invalidate my 'logical" conclusion that the portion where the two ends meet might allow for water seepage. Embarassed

Still, ... it's interesting to me that VW did not place the seam of the trunk seal at the front, as glue or no glue it wouldn't have hurt to be extra safe by placing the seam up front after the channel drains.
Not only that, but the correct placement of the engine lid seal on only the lower half of the opening also seems to defy my so-called "logic".
... but then admittedly I'm no engineer.

It's nice that even these relatively small details can be worked out and the answers made readily available to anyone with internet access.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: