Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you ever done a VW engine R&R (removal & re-install)? Poll
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you ever done a VW engine R&R?
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 54 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 60

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R (removal & re-install)? Poll Reply with quote

Just curious how many owners here have ever done a VW engine R&R (removal & re-install)...trying to set up a poll. If poll doesn't show, can someone provide technical help, thanks.

Myself: I estimate about 100, used to work at a VW/dune buggy rental agency, a VW engine/repair facility.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R? Poll Reply with quote

Ive used a pole & post hole diggers to pull engines v8 out of cars in fields. nevered tried to use a pole on a vw...mine comes out pretty eazy.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R? Poll Reply with quote

Can't even begin guesstimate how many I've done over my 40+ years.
My wife says all I have to do anymore is to look at them, think about removing them and they fall right out Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R? Poll Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Just curious how many owners here have ever done a VW engine R&R...trying to set up a poll. If poll doesn't show, can someone provide technical help, thanks.

Myself: I estimate about 100, used to work at a VW/dune buggy rental agency, a VW engine/repair facility.....

No poll present cusser.

To set up a poll, when starting the thread (or edit the first post you made in the thread) at the bottom you include the question and options you'd like to have as responses.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R? Poll Reply with quote

I can't say I have done 100+. But after 40 years of wrenching on beetles. I have lost count.
The easiest was the most recent one. Type3 a John Deere tractor and the trans and engine came out in one piece in half an hour.

Like Mark said. I don't use a pole either. Just a floor jack and jack stands. When the JD tractor is unavailable Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R? Poll Reply with quote

At the bottom of creating a new topic, there is a section to add a poll. And yeah - I've done a couple....and depending on what you consider an R&R. Splitting case etc or top end only....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SchoolcraftSignal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R? Poll Reply with quote

Maybe this is just me, but what does VW engine R&R mean?

"Sven" 1965 Sunroof Beetle
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R? Poll Reply with quote

SchoolcraftSignal wrote:
Maybe this is just me, but what does VW engine R&R mean?

remove & rebuild is my guess.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R? Poll Reply with quote

I guessed it meant "Remove and Replace" as in "take it out and put it back in."

If so, then counting just the air cooled and including my 914 Porsche, over 50. Water cooled VW's and engine swaps? Then another 10 or 12. This is just my own stuff too.

Cool thread.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R? Poll Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

No poll present cusser.

To set up a poll, when starting the thread (or edit the first post you made in the thread) at the bottom you include the question and options you'd like to have as responses.

Thanks !!! Did this. See: folks don't believe that I'm a computer-idiot, and that I invented that category !!! Guess that's why I have a TracFone, and the model more basic than the flip phones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R? Poll Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Guess that's why I have a TracFone, and the model more basic than the flip phones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have one like that too, charged up- ready to go if the so-called "smart"phone dies on me.

That GoPhone has gotten signal in remote areas too. I take it when I travel to the mountains. No idea why it can work where 'smart'phones can't but it works!
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R? Poll Reply with quote

Over the years I've done 4 complete engines from scratch for 3 Bugs using mostly aftermarket new parts. But many moons ago when money was tight, I would rebuild junk engines over and over using old, used, rehabbed, recycled parts getting approximately 25,000 to 30,000 miles per rebuild.

It's amazing in what poor condition that Bug engine will dependably run if you treat it right. I've traveled through British Columbia with a cracked center main web. I've ran for years on sucked-value cases with half the torque on the center mains. I've wandered Ontario with exhaust valves so sloppy that you could move them back and forth a 1/4".

But during the lean years I would never push the engines hard and I would always, always, kept it cool. I'm not proud of this, only stating fact. In 48 years of driving my Bugs all over hell and back, they've only made me walk once.....for three blocks.
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R? Poll Reply with quote

A few stock engines.I do all my own assembly and work on all of my cars.Never done any machine work,and oddly enough I am a machinist.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R (removal & re-install)? Poll Reply with quote

Yes I have Mr.Cusser more then onced. One time it was your vehicle that was getting the reinstall.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R (removal & re-install)? Poll Reply with quote

More times than I should have if I’d done the work properly the first time.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R (removal & re-install)? Poll Reply with quote

Push rods & push rods seals, is one reason R&R was done.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R (removal & re-install)? Poll Reply with quote

Yeah, I just want to gather information from VW owners.

I happen to be of the opinion that if you own a VW that YOU should be prepared to be responsible for most of its maintenance and repairs due to decreasing number of shops that will touch such old VW. And sometimes that just does require engine R&R.

And to convince my daughters that if they want my VWs while I'm still able to drive them, then they better learn how to do this !!!
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R (removal & re-install)? Poll Reply with quote

I’ve probably done it 5 or 6 times. Actually going to be doing this upcoming weekend as I swap my broken 1200 for a 1600 in my ‘66.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R (removal & re-install)? Poll Reply with quote

Too many to count...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever done a VW engine R&R (removal & re-install)? Poll Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Too many to count...

My problem is one that I took apart 16 years ago and another 9 years ago. They are both still waiting on me. Mad
I worked at a VW shop in the 80's, owned 5 aircooleds overall.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: