Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

clunking in the right rear
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

After a number of forum searches for a "clunking noise in the rear when hitting bumps", I found a number of possibilities. So I began looking at my existing condition to see if there was anything obvious.

I first looked at the rear body pad in the shock tower area. That pad looks new and I proceeded to tighten that bolt down. It didn't tighten down much, but it didn't tighten.

My next item to look at was the shock. I am not sure how much movement would cause a clunk in a shock, but the shock bolt was definitely easy to move when I placed a socket on it. I did tighten that a tad, but, like I said, Could a half turn really cause it to malfunction? There was a small gap in between the rubber grommet of the shock, and where the bolt meets up with it. I am showing some photos of the shock area, as well as a video of the shock "Wobbling" after tightening. Not sure if that's normal. I checked the shock on the drivers side and those bolts were tight. So that made me wonder if I may have fixed the issue, but I am not sure. Do the shocks look okay, or should they be replaced?

At this point, I had the drums and everything off, so I did not get to take it out to test it. I will do that once the brakes are all back together. As for a visual, what do you think?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://flic.kr/p/25BPBzQ
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

Even if you tightened the body to shock tower bolt.
You may still have the clunk. Reason being, is that the washer under the bolt is too small to make good contact to hold the body tight.
There is a special shaped washer that goes in the pocket under the bolt.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rusty60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

Had similar clunking, in neutral it clunked over bumps, It was the shock bolt. Tightened the heck out of it and solved the clunk!! crank them down
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

Check the hold down clamps of the battery, too!
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

I definitely know it's not the battery. Whatever this clunk is, also has squeaking to go along with it. Bother are very loud. Definitely metal on metal
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

Then I'd replace the spring plate bushings.
There are threads on how to do this, and some tips are buried in the "raise or lower" sticky.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

As I look closer at the diagram that WW has, as well as the picture 67rustavenger posted, I see that metal washer that I don't have. But after looking at the drivers side, that doesn't have it either.
hmmmmmmmmm

with something like this, there is no way to narrow the issue down without replacing things in hopes that it works, right?

ive tightened the bolt, but certainly dont wanna snap the head off. I guess there isn't much I can do until I test drive it and see if my tightening of the shock, and the shock tower bolt worked. Gotta get my brakes put back together first.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

the loose shock bolt could cause it. Drive it and see rather than chasing your butt through the proverbial hoop Wink If you change so many things at once, you will never know what it was.
The washer being small is not going to cause it as long as it tightened up, to test put a pry bar between the body and shock tower and see if it moves.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
the loose shock bolt could cause it. Drive it and see rather than chasing your butt through the proverbial hoop Wink If you change so many things at once, you will never know what it was.
The washer being small is not going to cause it as long as it tightened up, to test put a pry bar between the body and shock tower and see if it moves.

will do.......
hawk2828
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

I just had the very same problem. What I found was the shock rubber had cracked and shrank. The shock would slide back and forth on the metal bushing causing a clunking/banging sound when I would drive over bumps. No matter how tight the bolts were it didn't matter because the bolt metal bushing washer and nut were all still the original dimensions. After I found both rears with the same problem I looked at the front shocks. They weren't as bad but they were getting to be in the same condition so I just changed all four shocks.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

I had a similar problem, a "clunk" from rear wheel.

Made the simplest test: I temporarily detached the shocks and, after a (slow!) little trip around my house the clunk was no more there.

So the culprit has been 100% identified.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

Just to get this possibility out of the way, does the shifter move when you hear the clunk? Does it occur mostly when you're on or off the gas?
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Just to get this possibility out of the way, does the shifter move when you hear the clunk? Does it occur mostly when you're on or off the gas?

shifter does not move.
It happens when I go over bumps....period. whether I have my foot on the pedal or not. If there is a bump, oa a hole, it clunks. Maybe I will video the clunk sound when I get it back out, and maybe the sound will give us a better idea.

It's definitely that right rear wheel area. When it clunks/bangs, there is a loud squeak that goes along with it. I keep turning my head to make sure the rear quarter panel isnt coming off Laughing It's definitely a loud clunk. (and yes, I have pushed up and down on the fender to make sure it wasn't coming off Smile )

As I mentioned above, the right rear shock bolts both needed tightening. when i put my socket on one side of the bolt, it turned freely. once i put a wrench on the opposite side, it tightened up. It could definitely be the shock bushing, or the bolt being loose. But I won't know till I get it back out.

But I am still waiting on my brake parts to come in the mail so I can close it up and test drive it. Everything should be in this saturday. So depending how long that takes me to do, im hoping for a test drive next week.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

45 years ago, driving to ASU, my VW got a clunk back there. It turned out that a shock absorber lower rubber bushing had slipped out of the bottom of the shock absorber.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
45 years ago, driving to ASU, my VW got a clunk back there. It turned out that a shock absorber lower rubber bushing had slipped out of the bottom of the shock absorber.

I looked at the bushings first. Both were there. Had slight cracking, but were there.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
. . . the spring plate bushings.

This is a good place to check!
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
. . . the spring plate bushings.

This is a good place to check!

that will be last resort! I will have to take it to the shop for that. That is not a procedure I feel comfortable doing. I watched a video on youtube by Chris Vallone. Although it looks easy/complicated at the same time with the body OFF, I could only imagine what it's like with the body on. I certainly don't want a raised, or lowered ass end Shocked

I'll cross that bridge if the shock, and shock tower bolt are not the answer
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:

I think the suggestion here was maybe the front transmission mount may be the problem.Something else to check. That's how I first noticed mine was bad. (clunk !)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

I'll definitely be checking the transmission mounts when engine is removed.
This clunk is definitely loud and big. Sad
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: clunking in the right rear Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

I think the suggestion here was maybe the front transmission mount may be the problem.Something else to check. That's how I first noticed mine was bad. (clunk !)

Yes, thank you. It was a long shot, so I didn't want to get into the whole thing without confirmation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: