Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 2 cents on disc brakes.....
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

Shock towers were getting pretty rough on my Bug,so I got a new Brazilian beam.Decided if I was going to take the front end completely apart,might as well do the disc brake upgrade.I have had Bugs since the early 80s,but never had one with discs.Got the 2 1/2 drop spindle kit from EMPI.Put Timken bearings in it,other than that,straight out of the box.Kit seems very well made.Only had to use the small shims to center caliper.Same on both sides,so I was pretty impressed.Took my first drive today.Seated the pads with some hard stops,and......wasn't a whole lot better than the drums.Seemed to track straighter on hard braking,but other than that ,no biggie.Very good pedal,no adjustment,so I am not at all disappointed.Just not the night and day I was expecting after reading some of the posts.My 2 cents for what its worth.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

Give it a few hundred miles, the pads are still thick & still haven't seated/bedded completely. Then there's the fact that since the discs don't need to be adjusted, you won't have a constantly increasing travel brake pedal.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

Discs have no power assist built into the design, Even with leading and trailing drum brakes one shoe is given a mechanical advantage and the spinning of the drum forces the shoe out.

People I have communicated on the forums with this info tell me that if it takes a lot of force to get a disc brake ACVW to stop it probably has the wrong master cylinder in it. This could be true is the cases where it actually does have the wrong master in it. I personally know people that did a disc brake conversion and said that it took a lot of foot effort to get the car to stop even when going slow. They said it had a new and correct master as far as they knew going by the part number.

With the ghia style brake conversion the pads are really small. Another aspect is the material used for the pad. I greatly prefer semi metallic or Autozone Golds if they are available. The pads that come factory on a new car are way too hard and have to get hot to work decent.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

Years ago I thought I was being smart and put type 3 discs on the front of my Super Beetle. Big disappointment!! Braking effort went way up and the rears tended to lock first. Upset the brake balance for sure.

It does not surprise me that the after market disc kits are very little better. Lots of guys just buy fronts or just buy rears so if there was a big change in effectiveness it could tend to toss those guys out of control in a bad situation leading to liability issues for the brake suppliers. Very few fellows have a well thought out plan to keep the whole system in balance and most don't do it for the braking advantage anyway. Just for the "Wow" factor!

That's how I have it pictured.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Years ago I thought I was being smart and put type 3 discs on the front of my Super Beetle. Big disappointment!! Braking effort went way up and the rears tended to lock first. Upset the brake balance for sure.

It does not surprise me that the after market disc kits are very little better. Lots of guys just buy fronts or just buy rears so if there was a big change in effectiveness it could tend to toss those guys out of control in a bad situation leading to liability issues for the brake suppliers. Very few fellows have a well thought out plan to keep the whole system in balance and most don't do it for the braking advantage anyway. Just for the "Wow" factor!

That's how I have it pictured.

I've been driving late model Beetles with front EMPI discs exclusively, daily, for the last 20 years. Been so long since I've driven a Beetle with all four drums that I can't rightly say that discs stop any better. But I do know that I am one of those fellows who have absolutely no plan to keep the brake system balanced. In fact, I had no idea that this was even a thing. I've had one 360 degree spinout on ice, but zero accidents. Is balancing the brake system really that necessary? What does this entail, even?

Please don't take this the wrong way. I honestly have never heard of this and I'm only a layman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

I believe that the rears need to engage slightly before the fronts ( otherwise the rear of the car will pivot on the front) in a turn but the cylinders have to be about the same diameter so the the fronts or the rears don't engage way before the other. Some masters have 2 different sized pistons but I don't know specifically bout ACVW's.

In any event ,discs are not going to fade like a drum set up.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

Discs are only as good as the geometry of the front end they are braking. I am just fine with drums because any appreciable increase in braking assist is almost negated by the behavior of an 80-year old front beam design. The front ends dive and rebound, stock size tires lock up just the same, etc. I'm using my early 60s bugs and the '71 for comparison. My buses and Thing have stock drums as well.

I'd go discs if I were: towing; racing; or my commute included winding roads. But for the light- to- light traffic, I've never experienced fade or dissatisfaction with drums personally.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

I always install disc brakes up front. I use the Empi kit and change the master cylinder from the 19mm model, to the 21mm model, as I remember seeing on several cars that came through my repair bay.

My car stops on a dime. It is WAY better than the drum brakes. There is a brake in sequence all disc brake pads have to go through after installation. I learned this back when I wrenched. Works great for me.

Hitest, when I had my 55 Bug, back in 1989, I drove through the dairylands out in Chino. It was flooded everywhere! I ended up driving very slowly due to the brakes not responding. I believe, thinking back, that the drum brakes had filled full of water and there was a noncompressable layer of water trapped between the drum and the shoes. Scared the crap out of me.

Since that time, I have always installed front disc brakes.
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

I had done all of the lines and master cylinder a year ago.I have the late model mastercylinder.we drove some more last night,and I do like them.My pedal effort has not increased at all compared to drums.Would I change back to drum?No.I have a 64,would I change it to disc?Probably not.Good discussion guys.Thanks.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
I've been driving late model Beetles with front EMPI discs exclusively, daily, for the last 20 years. Been so long since I've driven a Beetle with all four drums that I can't rightly say that discs stop any better. But I do know that I am one of those fellows who have absolutely no plan to keep the brake system balanced. In fact, I had no idea that this was even a thing. I've had one 360 degree spinout on ice, but zero accidents. Is balancing the brake system really that necessary? What does this entail, even?

Please don't take this the wrong way. I honestly have never heard of this and I'm only a layman.

Brake balance is about the percentage of stopping force at each end of the vehicle. With a tail heavy car is is important the rear doesn't lock up first -- if the rear locks the car will try and do a 180. If the front locks too soon then you limit your ability to steer while pressing down harder on the brake pedal to get the back end to take up the slack.

Typically, a Bug has about 55 to 62 percent of the braking force on the front. It is easy to calculate for the oval window and '68 up Bugs as they have the same size brakes at both ends. Since the only difference is wheel cylinder size (piston area) that is the only thing that sets the brake balance. If you have disc front drum rear, or even different size drum brakes front and rear then the calculation on brake balance is not as easy to determine.

Many aftermarket kits use the Karmann Ghia front rotor and caliper. This should be a good match on a Beetle as the Ghia has a similar weight distribution and overall weight.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

Ive seen many people put new pads on or disc on and go out and see just hap much better they stop....witch kills the pads. they need some time to bed in and to heat stabilize all the way through. thus the reason many racers usualy buy pads that have already been bedded in on a special jig to properly "heat treat " the pads. a panic stop/hard stop/lets see how much better this is now stop on new pads is a sure way to kill the braking performance of the new pads.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

A few years ago. I installed a set of cross drilled slotted disc's and Hawk pads on my Pontiac.
The bed in on those was 500 miles. I could see the progression across the rotor as the pads bedded to them. This may seem a bit excessive. But that was the recommendation from Hawk.

Once the bedding process was complete. I can whoa that 4K beast from well over 120mhp. In very short order.

You have to take the time to bed the pads to the rotors.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
roger10101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

Hello all. What’s the cost of front disc brake set up for a 64 bug. I need one with zero offset and Porsche alloy pattern. Thanks in advance
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

roger10101 wrote:
Hello all. What’s the cost of front disc brake set up for a 64 bug. I need one with zero offset and Porsche alloy pattern. Thanks in advance

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/4280.htm
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/4178.htm

You wanted that dropped by 2.5", right? If not, just use your own spindles and sell the dropped ones at the next swap meet.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
awreed wrote:

Brake balance is about the percentage of stopping force at each end of the vehicle. With a tail heavy car is is important the rear doesn't lock up first -- if the rear locks the car will try and do a 180. If the front locks too soon then you limit your ability to steer while pressing down harder on the brake pedal to get the back end to take up the slack.

Typically, a Bug has about 55 to 62 percent of the braking force on the front. It is easy to calculate for the oval window and '68 up Bugs as they have the same size brakes at both ends. Since the only difference is wheel cylinder size (piston area) that is the only thing that sets the brake balance. If you have disc front drum rear, or even different size drum brakes front and rear then the calculation on brake balance is not as easy to determine.

Many aftermarket kits use the Karmann Ghia front rotor and caliper. This should be a good match on a Beetle as the Ghia has a similar weight distribution and overall weight.

+2!

Ideally the fronts and rears will lock up at precisely the same time under all conditions. That is only possible on paper, in reality there are too many variables so the safest set up is to have the fronts slightly more dominant than the rears. A vehicle is far more controllable with the fronts locked and understeering than with the backs locked and spinning end for end! That is the way ALL factory bought vehicles are set up.

The unfortunate fact is that unless you skid pad test your brake changes you will most likely never know what your brake balance is until you are in a really bad situation that requires maximum braking. And if it's wrong... Shocked

That is a surprise NO ONE needs!!

And as for whether or not you really NEED to upgrade your VW's brakes:

Does the engine have more than stock power? - Yes

Do you drive faster and in heavier traffic than was the norm at the car's date of manufacture? - Yes

Do you enjoy "sporty" driving? - yes

Do you often fill the car to the max with passengers and luggage? - Yes

Do you pull a trailer? - Yes

Do you use your car only for car shows and parades? - No
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

This is by far the best drum brake guide I'm aware of.

http://what-when-how.com/automobile/drum-brakes-automobile/

As stated here ,even having one leading shoe creates assist. It does not have to be duo servo.

Also , a smaller master cylinder bore creates greater force than a bigger bore.
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Ive seen many people put new pads on or disc on and go out and see just hap much better they stop....witch kills the pads. they need some time to bed in and to heat stabilize all the way through. thus the reason many racers usualy buy pads that have already been bedded in on a special jig to properly "heat treat " the pads. a panic stop/hard stop/lets see how much better this is now stop on new pads is a sure way to kill the braking performance of the new pads.
Most brake manufacturers recommend several 55mph to 30mph stops to bed new brakes.Its not only a heat treating,there also needs to be pad material transfered to the rotor and vice versa.Cant remember what this is called,but there is a term for it.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

I've done a lot of brake jobs professionally and worked with mechanics with different opinions. bedding in helps but is not night and day,maybe 10 percent. A directional surface on the rotor helps a slight amount too but not night or day either. I always did both because a thorough professional job calls for it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:

Also , a smaller master cylinder bore creates greater force than a bigger bore.

Yes!!!

I have been completely baffled by posts on this forum where guys change to disc brakes and put in a LAGER diameter master cylinder! Why? You are decreasing your mechanical advantage, brake effectiveness and increasing peddle pressure! Do you need more volume? Not usually with discs!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents on disc brakes..... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I have been completely baffled by posts on this forum where guys change to disc brakes and put in a LAGER diameter master cylinder! Why? You are decreasing your mechanical advantage, brake effectiveness and increasing peddle pressure! Do you need more volume? Not usually with discs!

I too am completely baffled by how this helps in judgment at any point of your automotive endeavors. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: