Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body Will NOT sit on Chassis
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

I’m trying to put the body on the chassis to get ready for channels and to finalize the firewall and it won’t sit... here’s a few pics-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any ideas why this is happening?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

Did the body come off that chassis? Did it distort when you took it off?

If the channels are bad enough the body could twist out of shape when the body is lifted. Try making some alignment pins out of some old bolts to guide the body into position. Two in front on the beam and two in back at the shock towers.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

It's hard to say from pictures because they lack depth.

What's hanging up? Or what seems to be out of alignment?

With those rusty rails, the body is probably all sorts of twisted.. your gonna have to see what it needs to do to sit right. But watch those fingers in the gap: it's likely to fall home while they're in there!
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

Late chassis early body? The rear mounts need to be cut shorter if that's the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redlines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

Yes, what year body a what year chassis? That could be your answer!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

‘67 body and ‘67 chassis. I split them probably 1 year or 2 ago. They sat fine last year so I don’t know what’s up. The door jams are both 36.5” across and the shock tower bolts line up and the beam bolts line up so...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

Did you replace the framehead or napoleon's hat?
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

Napoleons was partially replaced on the ends. It wasn't full replaced though. The firewall isn't in though, so that shouldn't really matter right.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

Its hard to tell from the photos, it almost looks like the floor pans are too low some how. How does the body sit by the tunnel where the vin us?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

Looks fine to me... except the driver side needs to be hammered down.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

EA812, you might be on to something. I just lifted the floor pan pretty close to where it needs to be.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

Yeah, that's strange. I can see it's on the front two body mounts ( by the tank) and the rear two body mounts (by the shocks ) and now these photos by the tunnel looks good. It just looks like the floor pans are off for some reason . Is the frame head bent up some how?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
EA812, you might be on to something. I just lifted the floor pan pretty close to where it needs to be.

Try that and check the angle of everything. Maybe the Neapolitan hat is bent......
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

I don't think the nap hat is bent up, I replaced the two ends and they were on straight. I'll go do more investigating tomorrow.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

Did you cut off the bracket that the back of the floor pans attach to by the torsion bar tubes?

bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

The reason I asked about Napoleon's hat and frame head was because on a previous bug I had someone weld both of them on for me. Then when trying to put the body back down it would not go. They had welded the Napoleon hat and frame head on to high and I was unable to bolt the body to the frame.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

That bracket is there and the nap hat is welded where it should be. I made sure of that when I did it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
That bracket is there and the nap hat is welded where it should be. I ma. de sure of that when I did it.

I ask about that bracket cause somebody cut one off on our 65 for a pan half replacement . I guess they thought that was easier than cutting the pan😂
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
That bracket is there and the nap hat is welded where it should be. I ma. de sure of that when I did it.

I ask about that bracket cause somebody cut one off on our 65 for a pan half replacement . I guess they thought that was easier than cutting the pan😂
Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Will NOT sit on Chassis Reply with quote

The thin floor pans can warp/sag in the middle of the outer edge, especially as you put weight on the pans during welding. Bolting them to the heater channels will draw them up.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: