Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1987 Westfauxlia Project - Kitchen Sink Rehab
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samaleshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: 1987 Westfauxlia Project - Kitchen Sink Rehab Reply with quote

Long time lurker, first time poster. Follow along while I do it all wrong. My better half and I traded our non-running '72 Riviera for an '87 Wolfsburg. We're going to swap on a Westy top, MB Metris 17's, and DIY some bigger and better brakes. It will eventually get a Subaru transplant too.

I'd like to give a shout out to msewalson and CrazyVanMan for their write-ups on Westy top swaps. Helped so much I decided to "give back".

No warranty expressed or implied!

Here's the candidate:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1987 Vanagon CoastMountain Hightop
1991 Jeep Comanche 4x4
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4

Last edited by Samaleshi on Tue May 15, 2018 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

Good looking rig! Welcome aboard!
Samaleshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

On the way back from finalizing the trade, my better half sent me a craigs ad for a Westy top assembly. It was about 4 hours away, so I called and committed with a paypal down payment. During the call, the seller informed me that the best way to transport a Westy top was on, wait for it..., a Vanagon! A Vanagon I knew nothing about and had driven a grand total of 2 miles. So I grabbed the mystery to me van, scrubbed it down, put a new cat on it, breezed through DEQ, loaded up the 6 year old, and headed to get the top. The seller and I loaded it up and held it down with some ratchet straps, complete with custom gutter hooks that a buddy of mine fabbed up! The whole trip was trouble free, other than pissing off the ferry man.

Custom clamps:

Finished product; no issues all the way home, all kinds of roads, and a few hours of interstate:

1991 Jeep Comanche 4x4
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4

Last edited by Samaleshi on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

Samaleshi wrote:
Yeah, well, like, that’s just your opinion..., man

Those straps really tie the van together...

Nice retrieve, we're looking forward to seeing the rest of this adventure..
Samaleshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

Sun came out just in time for spring break here in Oregon, so I dove into the roof conversion. Didn't have a Westy to look at, so I figured it out as I went along. Take your own measurements, sure there's a lot of different ways to do this, and all kinds of dimensional creepiness over the years!

Mounted the rear hinges using Riv-Nuts:

Used the screws in the top for reference.

Riv-Nuts installed, no custom install tool needed.

ALL HAIL THE NIBBLER! DEATH TO FALSE METAL CUTTERS!

Nibbled. Front supports are temporarily screwed down until I'm ready to trim the roof in that area.

1991 Jeep Comanche 4x4
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

Sam I have a second Tin Top.. your making me think if I should do the same with it. Going to follow this thread..
Samaleshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

The luggage carrier was a real joy. I got the top and the seal where I wanted it, then marked the rear hole location of the carrier on the roof with a sharpie so I could tell where I'd been. Mounted the brackets on the carrier, ran a bolt through the weld-nut from the top(wrong-way), dabbed some fingernail polish on the ends, lined up the rear holes with my sharpie marks, and tapped on the bracket locations. Wa-f'n-la. Instant hole locations.

Pink for the poking:

Top on, going to be a while before my next update, questions/comments welcome.

1991 Jeep Comanche 4x4
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

Wow! Nice progress! Lucky break to find a top that is almost a perfect match to your van!

Keep the posts coming!
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

Yeah, Welcome here, too!

Nice to see a newbie jump right in, well done!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samaleshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

Full disclosure, not our first Vanagon, that honor belongs to ol' blue, an '86 GL that we swapped an EJ25 Subaru into with Smallcar parts. Super cool, but rough as hell, sold it and bought a Honda, decided to go back to the Wolfsburg before we lost both our souls...

Those are one year only 16x8 forged Audi Fuchs mounted using T3Techniques hub centric spacers and fasteners and wrapped in 215/70/16 TA's.

1991 Jeep Comanche 4x4
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

Did you flatten or shape the roof in the back to hold and mate up with the hinges at all? I've read about that step. I have an 84 westy top that I am going to put on my 87 Syncro.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

Are you going to add any interior roof support?
I wondered how many people have done top retrofits without all the interior/ metal support stuff.
A friend of mine has done a great 100% authentic westy build but he basically cut the entire roof off. If you disassembled it you'd never know he put that roof on. Or you might because of the EXTRA braces he built. But anyway, doesn't seem heavy enough to worry about for the most part?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

i can see this isn't your first rodeo... a Nibbler, BMW lurking in the background, popup garage. yup. this project is gonna finish.

-dan
Samaleshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
Are you going to add any interior roof support?
I wondered how many people have done top retrofits without all the interior/ metal support stuff.
A friend of mine has done a great 100% authentic westy build but he basically cut the entire roof off. If you disassembled it you'd never know he put that roof on. Or you might because of the EXTRA braces he built. But anyway, doesn't seem heavy enough to worry about for the most part?

Haven't removed any yet!, left the factory supports, there weren't any where I cut it. I'll deal with the lack of room for a mattress by using foam pads and air mattresses.

1991 Jeep Comanche 4x4
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
Samaleshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Did you flatten or shape the roof in the back to hold and mate up with the hinges at all? I've read about that step. I have an 84 westy top that I am going to put on my 87 Syncro.

You got me, I read a few builds where they didn't flatten it and said it wasn't an issue. Maybe that was true in their case. In mine, I couldn't get the top to sit correctly so I took my favorite maul and "deep tissue massaged" the area around the hinges until it sat right. I'm not taking any photos of that. Once it's on the internet you can never take it back.

1991 Jeep Comanche 4x4
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project Reply with quote

I completely understand. I will probably do it exactly as you describe. This is exciting. I picked up my 84 westy parts van last fall. I've had my Syncro since 2004.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project - Top Install Thread Reply with quote

Any upgrades on this project?
Samaleshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project - Top Install Thread Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Any upgrades on this project?

How'd you know?

Pulled the top back off a while ago to clean the inside and staple in the new canvas. The forecasted rain and giant hole in the roof motivated me to get it done. GoWesty's youtube vids were very helpful. I would highly recommend grabbing a pneumatic stapler, we used stainless staples(which cost a third as much as the stapler), and my better half came up with a cheap tack strip idea...photos below. Almost made up for me blowing money on fancy staples. She's fighting an uphill battle. At least the labor's cheap!

Home Depot vinyl molding in 48" lengths.

Cut Into 3rds. $3.94 Tack Strips!

Seems to Work!

New Favorite Tool

1991 Jeep Comanche 4x4
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
Samaleshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project - Top Install Thread Reply with quote

Lowered the front supports and mounted them using some hardware store aluminum angle:

It's getting real now...used self tappers to screw in the aluminum lower channel

In the process of building up a super simple bed using plywood and 1x2 poplar sides. The top of the tin top roof ribs are damn near exactly 1.5" taller than the sides, so the 1x2 is about perfect, I'll grab some photos soon.

1991 Jeep Comanche 4x4
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
OldBlueSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Westfauxlia Project - Top Install Thread Reply with quote

I just picked up a syncro last week. Went with Ol' Blue for the name too since he's, well, old and blue.

I'm wanting to put a pop top or high top on it but I'm confused about your pop top. Yours seems pretty straight forward, but I've looked at other conversions like the one in this link, and it seems like a ton of work.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502828

I'm guessing your conversion works but it's not considered an "authentic" westy?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: