Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Java Green '64 with tree damage.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

A-Step-Towards wrote:
I thought this may pop up on the Samba. You are the guy that beat me to the punch lol. I told them Id take it and then a few mins later said the first guy that contacted them was going to come, no worries you win some and lose some, I didnt have the space for it anyways. Actually you may have seen my '61 on craigslist last summer, I guess it depends on how often you check CL locally. I have photos in my gallery but have yet to start a thread on it here. It was posted on Corvallis Craigslist for $800 non running. Before I got there with my trailer to buy it the guy had 20+ calls and higher cash offers without seeing it. Anyways cool to see another Local-ish member around. I was just gonna take the bumpers ( I only have blades and want the towel bar style), rack and engine as I wanted a spare but I much rather see this one saved. I felt bad debating parting it and taking simply what I needed and dicing the rest up. Seeing these further photos makes me think the same still. Id get that roof hit out as best as possible and make a plexi window, roll it as a patina monster. Some day a shell of a beetle will pop up or a left for dead baja you can graft your aprons to, just transfer parts to another body then. Id roll it beat out best as possible with a plexi window tell then.

If you need roof measurements my '61 is in Albany. Also if it ever does get to parting keep me in mind for 1200CC parts and the bumpers.

Oh cool! I figured someone else was already onto it so I jumped on it as I could. We used to live down where I got it so we figured we wanted to go see the place again anyways. I'm glad people are happy to see that he may live again. I'm up near Woodburn if you ever wanna swing by and see or help! lol!

I'll absolutely keep the patina. It's a really beautiful patina.
A-Step-Towards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Awesome to hear. Im heading to work out of state for 11-12 weeks but I will be following along with the progress here. Im always on the hunt, If I run across a body I think may help locally I will post it here.

Take care
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

I'd 'graft' a bloody big hole into it like a Tucher style ragtop....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/608464.jpg
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

finster wrote:
I'd 'graft' a bloody big hole into it like a Tucher style ragtop....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/608464.jpg

That's not a half bad idea! If I can get the vents and C pillars fixed but the roof won't come out well, maybe I'll look into that.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

I'd try to get it straightened out enough to get a window to fit right and roll it, what else do you have to lose? If that doesn't work that Tucher style ragtop would be awesome!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

I wonder if a Mexican Beetle Sunroof that goes all the way to the vents like that would work in a 64?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

I just saw this one on Craigslist locally
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

So I got home and started disassembling the engine today!

What I ended up with. But here's the interesting stuff.

Hm, that doesn't look so good, maybe I should drain the oil next.

Pure water. It was going a lot more than that, pouring out, but getting a picture took a sec. It lasted about 15 seconds before becoming this slow drain, then oily water at this pace. Maybe I should check the valve covers?

Something tells me Eiche's engine won't be going anywhere soon.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

So, is there some shopping list somewhere for a rebuild?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

You may want to go through and figure out what can/can't be saved. Speaking from recent experience, unless the vast majority of your parts can be saved/reused or you just want the experience, you may be cheaper off finding a known running motor or longblock.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

You may want to go through and figure out what can/can't be saved. Speaking from recent experience, unless the vast majority of your parts can be saved/reused or you just want the experience, you may be cheaper off finding a known running motor or longblock.

Actually that's just it' I'd like the experience! I haven't rebuilt yet due to not having an engine I can drop (one running car and one that doesn't yet need it) so this is a good time to learn. I'll check out his spare engine this weekend when I get the time to see how it;s doing, but it's likely ruined too
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

Actually that's just it' I'd like the experience! I haven't rebuilt yet due to not having an engine I can drop (one running car and one that doesn't yet need it) so this is a good time to learn. I'll check out his spare engine this weekend when I get the time to see how it;s doing, but it's likely ruined too

I get it. Before you make any decisions tear it completely down and have it inspected and see what is and isn’t in spec. My opinion is if the case needs much in the way of machining to move on. But then again we have big issues with lack of qualified machine shops here and it’s $$$.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Drop in some oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, new plugs, points, coil, fuel filter, rebuild the carb and fresh gas and fire it up!!!! Laughing

LoL

That dent will buff out!!!
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

The roof rack - in it's condition I'd figure something closer to 400+. I sold a nice complete used one (with correct mounting clamps) in Columbus for 250.00.

This post made me to list my 67 bug for sale here! If your car is considered re-buildable mine is in super shape (no offense).
I'd rather deal with you guys than place on craigslist (but that is the next step if somebody doesn't pick her up).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Even though your rocker assemblies appear hopelessly rusted, they may be easily saveable with some light effort. I had a set of 1.1 rockers off a freebie 1500 case which were similarly rusted. I put the complete rocker assembly (shaft, arms, clips, etc.) into a small rectangular tray like a banana bread mold, and poured vinegar over the rockers so that they were submerged. Let it sit overnight. Next day I scrubbed off the rust with a brass brush. Amazing how easily the rust came off. Took very little effort. Once the assembly was clean, I pulled off the clips and removed them from the rocker shaft for another overnight session. I placed one half of the rocker shaft into a soft-jaw bench vise and used a long strip of 220 wet sandpaper to polish the shaft. Pulled the strip around the shaft with about 20 back-and-forth pulls to put a nice sanded/polished surface on the shaft. Then I rotated the shaft 1/4 turn in the vise and repeated. Turned the shaft around to get the other half done. Once the shaft was fully polished, I oiled it and fitted the original rocker arms back on. There was no slop- the arms rotated nicely. I should dig out the before and after photos to show how easy and effective this worked as inspiration for such freebie/field find engines.

The springs will need to be replaced. Good used stock springs are fine. Any rust pockmark on a spring will weaken it so that it can break without warning while the engine is running.

Seeing how much water came out of the case, it is unlikely that most of the internal parts can be saved, but it's a learning experience. If you can save any parts of the engine with some effort, you're a small bit ahead.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Thanks again y'all for the responses! I'm glad Eiche is popular so far.

to Sharp64; Exactly. I do have access to the knowledge and tools of the restoration shop I apprentice at, so I'm sure if something needs worked someone can help me and probably knows just how to do it.

Hippy: If only! I don't wanna damage anything inside. Oh, and I need to get a key, first! Oddly enough he's titled but his key is missing. Usually it's the opposite!

Daven - That's kind of more the price I was thinking, 250-400. It's in REALLY sharp condition, especially the sticker. I'll hold onto it though until I figure out what goes on with the roof.

Rome - Again with the excelent advice. I'll see what I can do for them. I also have access to a restoration shop as mentioned above, and I'll definitely try the vinegar on the rockers once I'm that far along. Unfortunately it's pouring out right now or I'd use my daylight to get the engine farther along.
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
Drop in some oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, new plugs, points, coil, fuel filter, rebuild the carb and fresh gas and fire it up!!!! Laughing

That's what I would do!!!

Seriously though, it would be worth your time to pull the plugs and spray some special sauce into the cylinders. I use 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil/Kerosene. Apply liberally and let it soak for a few days. Then see if you can get the motor to break free with a breaker bar... Assuming it's locked up... Which I assume it is...
Even if you don't want to start it, it will make teardown a million times easier if the rings aren't fused to the cylinders.
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Also, it would be worth picking up a copy on The Key To Metal Bumping.

It's a really well written guide to metal work. I'd give it a quick read before you start kicking the crap out of the top... It's really easy to stretch sheet metal by attacking dents with too much gusto. Then it's a ton more work to get things straight again.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Boogievan wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

That's what I would do!!!

Seriously though, it would be worth your time to pull the plugs and spray some special sauce into the cylinders. I use 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil/Kerosene. Apply liberally and let it soak for a few days. Then see if you can get the motor to break free with a breaker bar... Assuming it's locked up... Which I assume it is...
Even if you don't want to start it, it will make teardown a million times easier if the rings aren't fused to the cylinders.

Well, I can give that a try for sure, his spare engine is thrashed worse than his stock one so it seems, so I got nothing better to do!

And on the note above, I have two metal workers at the shop I work at that I'll be consulting. I've also been offered to borrow a portopower and possibly use a frame rack.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Lots of progress today!

Got those tomato-drink "caps" off - looks like lots of stuff got in here for sure.

Put the valve covers and the oil bolt back on just to keep the elements and creatures out.

Had a look at his spare engine - looks like worse junk, but we'll see what we can do with it one day.

I don't think one of the spare rims that came with him is any good! Yeesh!

Spark plugs out - not bad looking compared to the rest of the engine.

All about keepin it organized!

I also got the exhaust off, but the picture is 7.05MB, so I can't upload it. Oh well! It doesn't look bad and may even be usable with a good cleanup.

And the generator and fan came out today, too, but I didn't grab a pic so here's the latest on how the engine looks!

Time for the drop here real soon! So long as the weekend permits it! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: