Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Java Green '64 with tree damage.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

You will need 3/4 drive socket and breaker bar to do the job. 1/2 drive will shear off....
propguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Yes to the 3/4" breaker bar. I have broken several 1/2" drive ones. Luckily it was a craftsman and they replaced them both.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Will do! The car is up in the driveway now, so he's safe, but I'll still have to do brakes obviously. Going to pick up pistons/cylinders for the squareback this weekend, then get wear parts for the bug engine to do my first old-parts build.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
mukluk wrote:
The rear axle nut is 36mm on a Beetle; be aware they're normally torqued to a minimum of 217ftlb.

Okie dokie, know I got one of those. And yeah, I'll be using a biiiig cheater pipe.

Get a Torque Meister tool
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Righto - been a bit. Eiche's been on the backburner for a hot minute as both the Squareback and the Bus shat out for a while. The Square is up next for getting worked on as the bus has just started running (well enough) again.

But! I've got a savings for the Bug going. Getting enough money together for a motor - I want to get him to fire before I focus on wheels, brakes, pans, body work, wiring, dropping... the list goes on. But I'll follow through on him! We'll see where the body work gets, as I'm looking at possibly leaving my shop behind, but I have a friend with a portopower who will hopefully still be around to let me use it, as he's just left the shop as well.

Y'all will see big updates coming in the coming month or so! I plan on having that motor done!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Glad you still have an active interest in Eiche. Were you able to thoroughly clean your heads and the rest of the engine parts so that you assess your rebuild possibility on them?
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Glad you still have an active interest in Eiche. Were you able to thoroughly clean your heads and the rest of the engine parts so that you assess your rebuild possibility on them?

I've actually got them all setting with a friend who's a well known engine builder around here. He'll be making sure everything looks alright that we can use, and when we've got all the parts together he'll show me how to build. I'm very excited to learn!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Hi all! Unfortunately - I've agreed to sell Eiche to a friend for double my money, plus work on my other cars. But I'll still keep you guys updated! I'll likely be working with him on it, learning welding, he's going to teach me rebuilding on his motor, and as far as I know he'll be putting in a split (or oval, can't remember) rear window, a sliding rag, and just fixing some of the body damage and spotting in places he bondo's. I told him a prerequisite for him buying it is NO repainting the car! And he agrees, happily.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Well as long as the beetle is getting some help. Thanks for the update!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Of course! And I'll be keeping y'all heavily up to date. Gonna make sure he sends lots of pics and info. He only lives a bit away so won't be hard.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Java Green '64 with tree damage. Reply with quote

Awesome! Good to hear and thanks for the update! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: