Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reliability and repair costs
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marisa Halbach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

Hello!
I am looking into buying a 1967 or up year Beetle. I would use this car a few times a week. I am wondering how much are repairs generally? We have had 2 Jettas and a Passat wagon in the past and the repair costs were always atrocious.

Also, are they pretty reliable? I would be selling my 2013 Jetta and replacing with the Beetle, so I don't want to go from something I can always depend on to something that I never know if it's going to run or not. I want one that is restored pretty much and not in rough shape. Doesn't have to be show car quality though.

Thanks for your input!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

If you are not doing repairs yourself, you will spend a whole lot of money having the car at a shop. The shop is unlikely to be competent on air-cooled VWs and will probably break more things than they fix.

If you want to own a 50 year old car your best bet is to maintain and repair it yourself. Cars from the '60s and '70s had much more extensive regular maintenance requirements than modern cars do. Technology has come a long way since then. You will be doing a service on the Beetle at least every 3000 miles. That gets expensive if you're paying someone else to do it.

As for reliability, they are as reliable as your competence allows. If you are a crappy mechanic or you hire a crappy mechanic and you or that mechanic use crappy aftermarket parts, it will not be reliable. If you maintain it well and use quality parts it will be reliable, with the caveat that sometimes 50 year old stuff just breaks unexpectedly.

Even a car that is restored is no guarantee of reliability. A restoration can look great but if they used crap parts or didn't know how to build an engine, you'll be hating life. Even on a well-restored car, figure about a year for a shakedown period where you fix all the little things that are wrong and get it running/driving like it's supposed to as you learn the car.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

If you have to ask this question, you shouldn’t do this. Stick with a new car.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

No sane person would replace a 5 year old car with a 50 year old car and expect the same reliability. Rolling Eyes

Ideal would be to keep the Jetta and use the Beetle as a play car.

Also, the only thing a Jetta and an aircooled Beetle have in common is the fact that they were allegedly built by the same company.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
scdevon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

These cars are a hobby, not a Toyota Corolla "get in it and go" type of vehicle.
It's almost guaranteed that any local repair shop will cause more harm than good working on them unless they are a VW specialty shop and most general repair shops will shy away from working on them anyway these days.

If you really want one, shop for a high end example that's mostly original and complete and free of cancer rust. It's going to cost you though. It's almost a requirement that you do your own work on it and never let anyone else even touch it. These are simple cars, but they require CONSTANT babysitting and maintenance.

The more pristine and original the car is, the less problems and headaches you will have with it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

I just reviewed my maintenance and repair record for my 1971 VW convertible; even though it has a larger 1835cc engine, in the last decade my repairs (other than oil change/valve adjustments/brake adjustments) have been 2 new batteries and me installing a spark plug insert on #2.

My 1970 had been sitting for 23 years before I resurrected that 1.5 years ago, so that's not an equivalent situation.

But I agree that owners of these VWs should know or learn basic maintenance and repairs, and that includes engine R&R !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

Are you prepared to check the oil every morning? How about adjusting the brakes, the valves, the points, & the timing every 3,000 miles when you change the oil? This is routine maintenance on an aircooled VW.

Are you willing to give up air conditioning? How about heat? Sure, some cars have them but it's probably like 98% don't have A/C and at least 40% don't have heat.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

Take your time, ask tons of questions and buy the best one you can find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
If you have to ask this question, you shouldn’t do this. Stick with a new car.

Best advice right here.

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

I won't tell you not to do it, but consider the following:

The maintenance is simple, and doesn't require a lot of tools, but it does take time. If you do it, it's cheap. If a professional does, it's expensive. What is your competence level?

How many miles is your 3-times-per-week drive? What kind of driving? Where are you located (weather can play a role). Do you have a backup transportation plan if the car fails on you?

I drove mine daily for years, 35 miles each way, a mix of freeway, country dirt road, boulevard cruising. I did all my own maintenance, so a day per month was spent on the car. It rarely let me down, and was almost as reliable as my replacement car, a 5-year old Toyota (the gold standard).

But if I hadn't done the maintenance, it would have probably broken down many times. I was sensitive to how it drove, so I could feel problems coming on with the engine, brakes, clutch, electricals, etc, before they hit total failure. Are you tuned in to your car that way?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Are you prepared to check the oil every morning?

I've NEVER done this on my VWs or any other vehicles.

Would I look underneath for a leak as I walk towards it?/ Yes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

Millions have found the Bug to be very reliable. You do need routine maintenance however...
oil change at 3000 miles, but no filter to change, very easy to do yourself, how to do it might confuse the typical jiffy lube shop however. valve adjustment every other oil change, this is important, is medium easy to do, or have an aircooled specialty shop do it for you, figure half hour labor. every few years the carb might need cleaning and new gaskets. the rest is pretty much like other cars, change brake fluid every 2 years. No radiator flushing is ever required!!! No AC to fail, no power lock, power windows, power mirrors, power steering, to fail. no computer code problems, possibly no smog testing depending on laws where the Bug is registered. No pricey catalyst to replace, no timing belt that must be replaced before breakage, else engine is smashed as on some new cars.

You will need to do periodic points and timing service, but installation of an electronic points replacement eliminates this service requirement, this upgrade is not too expensive.

Get the best Bug you can afford, find an aircooled shop for service unless you do the work yourself.

Bug On! and good luck in your search!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Are you prepared to check the oil every morning?

I've NEVER done this on my VWs or any other vehicles.

Would I look underneath for a leak as I walk towards it?/ Yes.

It’s a good practice on a new acquisition until you can determine if it has oil consumption issues.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Millions have found the Bug to be very reliable.

Yes, these cars were very reliable when they were new and when there was factory and dealer support for them. But, these are different times, and the Original Poster isn't asking about how reliable these cars were when they were new, 50 years ago.

Most genuine VW factory parts for these cars haven't been available for a very long time. The last time I bought an aircooled part from the dealer was 30 years ago, and I had to wait 2 weeks for that to come in. We still have aftermarket parts, but those parts are hit and miss. I have no idea where the OP is, but where I am there are not a lot of good parts available in the local parts stores. I have to research and order if I want good parts. Can the OP be without the car for a day or two, or maybe even a week or more, while waiting for an order of parts to come in?

I keep some brake and tune up parts on the shelf, also a couple of cables, some fuses, some gaskets, etc, but I still have to wait for parts when unexpected things come up.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

One major thing to consider is your safety in modern traffic situations. I know that many do drive their vintage VWs on a daily basis, but I'd say that more owners now consider these to be 'hobby' cars and use them rather sparingly.

Except maybe for seat belts, a 50-year-old Beetle has NONE of the safety features that're taken for granted in a modern car. No crumple zones, no anti-lock brakes, no air bags, no side-impact beams and no bumper protection to speak of. The stock headlights/tail lights are not up to par by today's standards, the windshield wipers/washers are marginal, the suspension is quite primitive, the brakes are barely adequate and the heating system can best be compared to a hamster breathing on your ankles. And if you live in snow country, you'll be needing a scraper to remove ice from the INSIDE of the windshield during the winter. The bottom line is that if you get into a serious accident...especially with a huge pickup or SUV...you'll stand a good chance of being severely injured, or even worse.

Although regular maintenance isn't a complicated chore as others have said, vintage VWs need quite a bit of tinkering to keep everything in top shape and working properly. And there are very few repair shops around these days that'll even want to mess with any 50-year-old car, let alone a VW.

All things considered, especially if you're not comfortable tinkering with old cars and with using basic tools, you'd be better off not depending on a vintage VW to get you around. As a weekend cruiser, maybe...but not as everyday transportation that you'd need to count on to always be ready to go when you are.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
Millions have found the Bug to be very reliable.

Yes, these cars were very reliable when they were new and when there was factory and dealer support for them. But, these are different times, and the Original Poster isn't asking about how reliable these cars were when they were new, 50 years ago.

Most genuine VW factory parts for these cars haven't been available for a very long time. The last time I bought an aircooled part from the dealer was 30 years ago, and I had to wait 2 weeks for that to come in. We still have aftermarket parts, but those parts are hit and miss. I have no idea where the OP is, but where I am there are not a lot of good parts available in the local parts stores. I have to research and order if I want good parts. Can the OP be without the car for a day or two, or maybe even a week or more, while waiting for an order of parts to come in?

I keep some brake and tune up parts on the shelf, also a couple of cables, some fuses, some gaskets, etc, but I still have to wait for parts when unexpected things come up.

Many Bug, perhaps million are still on the road today. Since my 61 was new, outside of warrentee, it never went to the dealer. almost all work was done by owner. All the general maintenance parts are still available, with good quality, many many good parts vendors, excellent support system in place, and you got the samba to boot

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that the OP joined 3 years ago, first posted yesterday, and hasn’t visited since? You guys are tilting at windmills for nothing.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

wow you people are so negative ! the beetle in not a delicate flower . IT WAS MADE TO DRIVE ! not to sit on the mantle get the car buy a book read about the maintenance that requires to have one if you can do the work your good to go I have been driving these cars for over 30 years if it wasn't for the lack of cars here In ny would drive one every day
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
wow you people are so negative ! the beetle in not a delicate flower . IT WAS MADE TO DRIVE ! not to sit on the mantle get the car buy a book read about the maintenance that requires to have one if you can do the work your good to go I have been driving these cars for over 30 years if it wasn't for the lack of cars here In ny would drive one every day

Agree 100% Bugs, even 60 years old are still great cars, reliable, inexpensive parts, easy to work on, not much to go wrong, well engineered. If Bugs did not have these attributes, I doubt they would have built over 21 million over 3/4ers of a century, the last being produced in 2003.

The Bug is without doubt reliable, well engineered, easy to service, and has a huge support of aftermarket, OEM still in production, and even NOS parts still available. The Bug is still hotrodded, raced, rallied, raced off road, etc... All signs of a well engineered car.

wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability and repair costs Reply with quote

NO it is not reliable and yes it is expensive to repair......compared to a newer car of your generation. It is everything you hate and just a little of what you like, its cute! Well cute is not the reason for wanting an air cooled VW, that is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Cute will not get you to the corner and back, a Honda will. You cannot afford cute.....ask your parents.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: