Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

I'm just going to leave this here....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

Thats what I would do. Hopefully a moped will park on the other side. Love the Santa Cruz sticker!

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

Unfortunately, you care about your vehicle where the other one is probably leased and they don't. So you may come back to a broken window or key scratches.

In college, I had a $100 1971 Chevy Impala with dents and rust holes in the body. I delighted in finding jerks parking like this and would proudly slide right up next to them and leave a polite note letting them know my uncle was a police officer (he wasn't), I copied their plate down and would appreciate a little more space next time.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

Normally I would have nothing to say about this, but since you're inviting comments....

1st person to park; entitled/selfish, or possibly just oblivious to their surroundings; ie a young girl on her phone. Not cool, but maybe not intentional. Not very unusual.

2nd person to park; mean/vindictive, going to teach them a lesson.
It would be nice to see a little generosity of spirit here.
But what has been accomplished?

It's very possible that the yellow car driver comes out and says "Why would this guy park right on top of me? Doesn't he know that I can't get in now?"

Maybe what's been done here is to send a message that it's okay for us to act this way.
If we keep reaffirming to each other, consciously or unconsciously, that this is the way forward then welcome to the new reality of what it means to live.
Or as your Sig line says, welcome to your handbasket.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

So, was the carpark full? Were there lots of other parking spaces? If the parking lot was not full most likely the owner of the yellow car is very concerned about door dings and was hoping for a little space. (I know the feeling)
If the the lot was full then yeah they were being a bit selfish.
Either way, why invite trouble, are you the parking lot police?

There have been times where I have parked my van way out on the edge of the parking lot to avoid door dings only to come back and find some jerk parked right next to me.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

I can defend the move somewhat, in the hopes the offender may learn some civility — but would have avoided it in the interest of my buggy.

And now, a little story… on a Maine photo trip in 1999, a carload of kids on a weekend holiday screwed with us on the road. Intentionally dangerous moves and designed to intimidate. I tried to back away as a first response, but they took that as an invite to carry it further. As a racer much of my life, I wasn't concerned in being out-maneuvered, I knew what to do if it came to that, but I absolutely was concerned the offending wank could kill somebody someday and it was time for a lesson.

I followed them to a 7-11, took one look at them to confirm they weren't likely dangerous, parked them in, and called the cops. The cops came tearing in and I think they got a Reckless offense. The cop shook my hand and thanked me for my efforts, holding them for an hour so I could get to my friend's in Portland.

Thirteen years earlier, a guy tried to run us off the road in another incident, ending much-more poorly for the offender. Cop thanked me there, too.

I guess what I'm saying is we can make a difference. While I'm no "traffic cop," I do think it's important to not roll over and play dead to the point someone else gets hurt.

I went OT, Sorry, mostly just saying I understand the OP's intent — IF it indeed was the only spot left. If not, my understanding takes a hit. Embarassed

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

I have parked someone in like that several times if what they did was just arrogant. If that was at the far end of an empty area of the garage I wouldn't, but if it was a prime spot you bet.... never had any damage, yet. But I do not drive a pristine machine and most stay away for fear something will rub off on their vehicle.. Laughing Laughing

The OP had a right to park in the space.... I hope the first driver is real skinny.

BTW I also drive a rare older 911 and if I want to have it left alone I park it at the far end of the lot in ONE space....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
So you may come back to a broken window or key scratches.

I'd just let the air out of 2 tires since most only have one spare. No permanent damage, just a major inconvenience.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

Ha!

I once did that to a car.

We of course drive on the left side.
One day I pulled up to the bank to get some cash, there was but one spot remaining, it was the last one on the left.
It was made quite narrow by the car in the 2nd spot parked with the left wheels well over the line.

Anyway, I had my big Ford 4x4 Pickup and sqeezed between the 2nd row car and the curb.

I jumped out and as I grabbed the door handle of the bank, I heard a "Excuse me....... the way you just parked I cannot exit my car."

I replied " you certainly can if you start your car, back up and park properly between the lines."

She backed up and drove away.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

Dave,

I loved when i drove a beat up POS Civic. I once parked at the deli and squeezed in where a SUV was over the line. I was eating my egg sandwich when a woman came in and said "who has the silver civic" I told her it was mine, she said i can't get in, can you move it. I said "sure... as soon as I finish my breakfast". She walked out and I saw he get in on the passenger side and climb over the console to get in the driver's seat.

I was impressed since she was overweight and I didn't think she could do it.

BTW.. the sandwich was delicious.

Now that I have my first new car since buying my 74 Beetle, I have it away from everyone... and between the lines.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

Always between the lines. No excuse ever for taking up two spaces. If someone wants their ride to be left alone park it well away from everyone and in one space. I have seen cars keyed that were well away from everyone and across spaces. I would never key a car but there are those that will. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

Many parking lots have cameras so if someone keys a car and it's recorded, they can have some real legal problems.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Dave,

I loved when i drove a beat up POS Civic. I once parked at the deli and squeezed in where a SUV was over the line. I was eating my egg sandwich when a woman came in and said "who has the silver civic" I told her it was mine, she said i can't get in, can you move it. I said "sure... as soon as I finish my breakfast". She walked out and I saw he get in on the passenger side and climb over the console to get in the driver's seat.

I was impressed since she was overweight and I didn't think she could do it.

BTW.. the sandwich was delicious.

Now that I have my first new car since buying my 74 Beetle, I have it away from everyone... and between the lines.

Justice.

— Colin Chapman
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

*** Language warning on the first one***

Link

Link

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

Link

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

While I can see the position of not doing anything for a variety of reasons, I also will do something when someone is acting poorly, dangerously, or blatantly disrespectfully. I think society is a better place when those who would prey on others are held accountable by those who are willing to properly confront them.

Last night on the way home with my family a driver passed us poorly and sloppily, then began weaving and changing speed dramatically up and down. Most would leave them alone, but we called 911 and reported a suspected drunk driver. Provided them with a vehicle description, a license plate number, and kept the dispatcher apprised of our location as we followed at a discreet distance.

Society will not get better without effort and engagement. In fact, it will get worse and worse without people making it known that we all expect others to be respectful. Like many things, poor parking is an epidemic. So is littering, etc. Years ago my wife and I were walking in our little town and a lady in a parked car rolled down her window and tossed a finished soft drink out the window. Followed in quick succession by a hamburger wrapper, and the wadded up fast food bag. We were literally walking directly in front of her hood when she did this. I stopped and asked her politely to pick it up. She told me to pound sand. I have a rock and roll loud whistle and whistled at a nearby police car. He flipped his lights on and pulled over immediately. At the time in California it was a $272 ticket to litter. I hope my intervention stuck in her mind the rest of her useless life.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

Way to go, Doug. Cool

Too many think we cannot make a difference, but we can. Apathy signals the end, as is spending money on the bad guys just to save a little of ours. We are doomed if this continues.

Thanks for making a difference. I'd post my other car confrontation story but too many won't get the point so I won't. Suffice it to say it cost the perpetrator a brand-new car, but could have cost his life if I'd wanted to -- and frankly, he was begging for it. A car makes for one poor choice of stress reliever.

Quit thinking of yourself first, people. We *can* create a great society.

— Colin Chapman
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

I prefer leaving a note...

Or, the more simpler, to-the-point version:

Pre-printed and ready-to-launch from the glove box. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Parked in a 2m Parkhaus in Nurnberg.... Reply with quote

What, no phone number for the recipient to chat about it? Laughing Wink Laughing

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: