Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Euro headlight assembly
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Euro headlight assembly Reply with quote

Hello

Hoping to tap into the collective knowledge here.

I have recently acquired a Karmann built 1964 SC coupe which was delivered to Bologna, Italy. At some point it went to the USA, specifically SoCal, and then onto Australia. Presumably while in the US it had a few things changed from its Euro spec to us spec. Tailights, speedo to mph and the headlights changed to seal beam with clear lenses. A previous owner in Australia converted it to RHD.

I am aiming to take it back to its original delivery spec, apart from the RHD conversion. The tailights and speedo are simple enough. I'm not sure what headlights and lenses are correct for a RHD Euro-spec car. I have a background with VWs and still own a Karmann Ghia, they had RHD fluted asymmetric lenses. It looks like Porsche used fluted symmetric lenses for the RHD markets? Also would they be Hella, Bosch or either?

Any help appreciated.
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Euro headlight assembly Reply with quote

Angus,

Here in the UK the cars like mine were supplied with Bosch non-sealed beam headlights. Mine are original factory never altered.
I have some good photos of the lenses and the bulb connections all different to the Hella systems supplied to the USA.

If you advise me your mail address I will send you photos. I would put them on here but the process is not so easy now my photobucket system no longer works.

Roy
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Euro headlight assembly Reply with quote

roy mawbey wrote:
Angus,

Here in the UK the cars like mine were supplied with Bosch non-sealed beam headlights. Mine are original factory never altered.
I have some good photos of the lenses and the bulb connections all different to the Hella systems supplied to the USA.

If you advise me your mail address I will send you photos. I would put them on here but the process is not so easy now my photobucket system no longer works.

Roy

Roy

That would be much appreciated, I'd like to be able to confirm what I think should be there. I removed one of the lights yesterday and it was a Hella unit from a VW so I'm assuming it was swapped over to this in the USA for compliance perhaps to the sealed beam standard there? I'll pm you my email.

Angus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: