Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Numbers matching Thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Numbers matching Thing? Reply with quote

I’ve got to admit, I’m a newbie on this and really need some help, quick. I’ve got my Thing at the body shop ready to paint, and I was planning on changing colors, but the more I look, the more it looks like it might be a numbers matching Thing, and I should not change colors.

The VIN# is a 183, but the sticker on the post shows a 10/73 build date. I know if this were a beetle, a 10/73 build, would make it after August year change. But Things May have been different.

The motor number is AH359087. From what I can tell is this is a Ca emission motor, and if I look at the Beetle engine decoder, shows a late 73 production date.

Originally, I thought that since it had heater snorkels on the fan shroud, and heater boxes, it was a replacement. But if this is a Ca engine, it might have been configured that way even though I have a gas heater.

As you can see, I’m confused as to numbers matching, and ready to paint. Please HELP.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Numbers matching Thing? Reply with quote

Your motor number should start with AM, if not then it's not an original motor for a Thing. You have a '73 model and someone replaced the motor. Not uncommon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Numbers matching Thing? Reply with quote

>>The VIN# is a 183, but the sticker on the post shows a 10/73 build date. I know if this were a beetle, a 10/73 build, would make it after August year change. But Things May have been different.

Do you mean the silver sticker in the post between the driver and the rear passenger's seat? There are also two other VIN number locations: On the front trunk's left side and on the transmission tunnel under the rear seats. The silver sticker is notoriously difficult to read.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Numbers matching Thing? Reply with quote

Yes, I’m referring to the perforated sticker. Mine is basically the same as yours.

What confuses me is that Beetle years changed in August. My engine is an AH, which from what I can determine is a California engine. I don’t know if California required a different engine, to conform with their emissions.

I guess Mexico years changed with the calendar, and did not follow the German production year.
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Numbers matching Thing? Reply with quote

The engine case should still be AM. As far as I know the '74 California/Emissions engines had an EGR valve in the manifold. Attached pic is not my car
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Numbers matching Thing? Reply with quote

Do you have muffs (intake air ducts) on the sides of your engine compartment? No muffs would indicate it came without exhaust heat.

My first Thing was a 183*** with a post 8/73 build date and had a gas heater. It was originally registered as a '73, but when it was in a wreck the adjuster gave me credit for it being a '74.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: