Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

good find for $1000?
yes
95%
 95%  [ 40 ]
no
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 42

Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

so here is the story, my wife and i bought this bus from a friend of hers family who had it in their driveway for atleast 15 years. my wife always wanted a bus after ive had a couple of bugs i said sure lets do it. man was i mistaken...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

so i proceeded to take apart and asses as ive done with the bugs...

all in all not much rust at all. it came from Montana with us when we moved to Louisiana and it seems fairly good. i ordered a new harness from west coast metric, as ive done with all the bugs and new sunroof cables. i intend on getting a turnkey motor, im looking at you mofoco, because the SP thats in it is siezed and not complete. also i have a full tin kit on order from awesome powdercoat along with thermostat because i like to run it like that =) anyone from Louisiana know of a good paint shop? im also looking at getting it dustless blasted as ive done before with good success. trying to this resto as straight forward as i can but buses are new to me and any advise you see as i progress would be appreciated!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Sounds good to me.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

I would say the seller and buyer both got a good deal.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

For only $1k, I think you did very well. From what I can see in your pictures, it looks pretty straight and rust free. It also looks pretty complete as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
For only $1k, I think you did very well. From what I can see in your pictures, it looks pretty straight and rust free. It also looks pretty complete as well.

Very complete is right. Really only things missing were hubcaps, sunroof cables a bunch of the motor, and spare tire carrier. I assume the gas heater is complete just on looks and there are a few bolts missing. I didn’t take any before pics but the lights are all there and complete, I removed the windows but they are all complete.
And all the trim is there we just removed before I took pictures.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Great deal!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

i am relying on this forum for most all of my bus information as i have 0 experiences with buses.

list of items to find and order:
1. FULL rubber kit, i need to replace everything rubber on this bus....
2. seat upholstery, and related materials
3. carpet, what do you guys like to use as an underlayment for carpet?
4. complete side panels, nothing super fancy, is it crazy to put dynamat like stuff behind the panels?
5. possibly a few bus specific mechanical parts

any recommendations on places to look?
anyone know somewhere that someone has documented their restoration that they like? yes i know how to use the search but there were sooo many random ones
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

and odly enough your refresh was one of the pages i love looking through!!!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Bmxmarine wrote:
my wife always wanted a bus after ive had a couple of bugs i said sure lets do it.

Wow, that is a Samba first! A wife who wanted a bus more than the husband did. I'd say she's worth well more than $1k. Laughing

As for the questions you asked...
1. Wolfsburg West, Bus Depot are my favorite sources for rubber.
2. Sewfine appears to be the most popular in the threads I've read. But have no first hand experience myself.
3. You'll get ten different responses if you ask ten guys. Laughing
4. Ditto. There are a couple very involved threads in this room. For me, I used vibration deadening pads, which don't cover every square inch. Just a pad on each large flat metal surface does the trick for me.
5. Lots of options for suppliers for many parts. So before you start ordering them, ask for opinions in here. It will save you LOTS of time, money and headaches.

Good luck! And keep us posted on your progress. You can never post too many pics in here.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Bmxmarine wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

and odly enough your refresh was one of the pages i love looking through!!!

Glad to hear people find some value in it.

Search the forums and the "stickies" in the bay forums. A lot of your questions that you have you'll find have been answered before. There's not much with these buses that hasn't been talked about a lot in the past on this site.

Do your do diligence on parts quality before dropping $. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason. Don't go there. Also, check feedback on VW parts vendors. Avoid German Supply. You can search window rubber in the forum and find threads on who sells the best rubber.

As you see in my thread, I'm an advocate of using original parts that can be restored. They are miles ahead in quality vs. the cheap chinese junk sold today.

dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Great find for 1k, that early bay green is one of my favourites for sure
tolstoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Are you sure you need to blast and spray that thing. Looks like it'd buff up pretty good aside the windshield area.

Tolstoy
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

tolstoy wrote:
Are you sure you need to blast and spray that thing. Looks like it'd buff up pretty good aside the windshield area.

Tolstoy

Maybe not but there IS some good rust and I’ve had good luck with dustless blasting and recycled glass for paint adhesion. Last bug I did took 3 hours to blast pans and all and 8 hours working some metal magic then pant was beautiful doing a wet on wet 2 stage. I king of want to kill the rust best I can and start clean but I will post more pics as I get into it and see what you guys think.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

I know you aren't new to aircooled, but perhaps to the Bay Forum. So here is our warm welcome of excessive information to read through!

And for what it's worth, I'd keep the OG paint, and just do touch ups and oil. Either way, you got a killer deal. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

69-71 NEWBIE

Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Now is the perfect time to get the engine on order.

Please feel free to email me directly [email protected] and we can figure out what you need and get you on the production sheet.

Roy

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Please feel free to email me directly [email protected] and we can figure out what you need and get you on the production sheet.

Roy

Done Smile

Truly awesome motors and shop you guys have !
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

The big issue I see with "turn key" engines these days is that they are dressed in new aftermarket, economy level parts. The engine tin that doesn't fit well, carbs, distributors, fuel pumps. All these "new" parts are typically Chinese and are less than quality parts when compared to the original German made parts.

You'd be much better off having the long block built and then sourcing original German made VW parts and restoring them. The carbs, distributors, fuel pumps, generators and engine tin can all be restored to like new condition again. It's important that the carb/distributor match each other and the fuel pump puts out the correct PSI.

I run all the original German made parts that have been restored on my VW's. This includes the thermostats and flaps, warm air to the oil bath assemblies, etc. Basically, all the original parts these engines had on them when new. They simply run great as those Germans were pretty sharp in designing them.

I finished restoring my 71' bus engine a couple of years ago. I removed all the cheap, junk parts off this engine and reinstalled original, restored German VW parts.

Most of the veteran VW owners who've owned these VW for years/decades run restored parts vs. the junk new parts sold today. We are certainly rewarded with VW reliability and excellent running engines.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Roy

Am I the only one that finds this more tacky than helpful?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Roy

I don’t think so, the OP referenced Mofoco earlier... he’s just taking care of his business.

“i intend on getting a turnkey motor, im looking at you mofoco, because the SP thats in it is siezed and not complete.”
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Roy

Well I did talk to him literally a couple days before and I mentioned the business by name in my post.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: