Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
...It beats buying a garbage blaster from harbor freight or trying to do it by hand.
I drove 70 miles round trip to buy a $10 ALC old-school metal syphon blaster of CL (real savings there huh Rolling Eyes ) I blasted my entire frame (no pans), and all suspension parts, and it took me about 55 Hrs. total. I have also logged over 225 Hrs. hand blasting and chemically stripping the entire body. I'm glad I did it this way because I learned a lot but In the future I will most likely pay someone to blast the entire car or have it dipped. I have to agree with Pete that it is not cheap but is worth it for the time and back breaking labor it will save you.

Dumbo question ALERT
Is flash rust visible?
I have left bare metal body and pan sections unrated in my garage, in Florida, for weeks sometimes with no visible signs of rust after media blasting or chemically stripping.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks, I actually did use the compressor to blast some sand out of a crevice around the seat track. I could see flash rust form instantly in front of my eyes from the moisture in the line.

If you don't see flash rust you're probably alright but it could be there at a microscopic level. You could spray it down with diluted phosphoric acid to convert it. Just spray and wipe of the white residue when it dries.

Or use Mavcoat metal preservative. https://www.amazon.com/Mavcoat-Steel-Shield-Industrial-Protection/dp/B00SJOREJY?th=1

It's about $20 a can and is used for long term metal storage. It will stink up your garage but your parts won't rust. Of course you'll have to degrease before you paint.

I had a batch of suspension parts that I took up to a shop a half hour from my house. They'll blast and paint for $300. I feel a little lame farming out this work but I don't have the equipment and there's only so much odor and mess my wife will put up with.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks Pete. As you saw in the MS thread over in the Paint/Body forum I have coated all bare metal with Eastwood After Blast and it has kept the metal rust free for some time now. In some areas you can see small black spots where rust was converted. Apparently rust is exempt from my philosophy of life:
"If I don't see it it doesn't exist." Cool

Fortunately I have not reached unacceptable stink levels in the garage yet but It's still early.

-----
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Is Eastwood After Blast their version of ospho or is it more like a grease coating?

I wouldn't worry too much about those small spots, just sand lightly before paint and pray!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Is Eastwood After Blast their version of ospho or is it more like a grease coating?
It's a phosphoric acid based cleaner and metal prep product. Spary or brush on and wipe off. It is intended to clean and protect panels after media blasting. I use it more for the metal protection aspect than for the cleaning properties. Once done with all the body work I will probably scuff all the metal surfaces, clean and prep with the After Blast, then hit the metal with Acetone or some other last step product before covering the entire car with MS Silver.

Peter D. wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about those small spots, just sand lightly before paint and pray!
Yup, they are just Iron phosphate created by the phosphoric acid. I made sure to wire brush or sand blast the heavily pitted areas before treating them with After Blast.

-----
Emil

Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Sweet, I've learned so much in the last year. Without the internet this would have been impossible for me to attempt. The advice and feedback is invaluable. Friends ask me "how do you know how to do this?" and I explain that I haven't got a clue, I just know how to read and follow directions! Cool
lushtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

What’s the latest?
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Not a heck of a lot, unfortunately! I mean, I've made progress on getting parts ready but not on building or assembling.

I've been trying to piece my motor back together but I ran into a couple of snags. My beautiful muffler that I had coated with high temperature powdercoat is the wrong size and will not fit!

I'm probably asking too much money for it too.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2277744

Also, my heat risers are clogged. I've almost got them cleared with a combination of hammering, drilling with a wire, and running oxyclean through them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I got frustrated at my lack of tool and skills so I brought a bunch of suspension and door parts to New England Dry Stripping. They blasted and painted for me, came out real nice!

Found this tag under the seat cushion:

I'm getting ahead of myself but the seats are taken apart. I brought them to the same place to be blasted and painted the original silver beige.

Had a bunch of hardware plated:

The pan is painted and ready for assembly:

Bought a used German muffler and spent hours sanding the paint off and painting it with VHT. Hope it works. It was maybe 50 bucks more than buying a new one from Jbugs but I figure it will fit better.

That's it for now. Like I said, most of my time is spent cleaning, sanding, finding, buying, storing parts... not a lot putting anything together. I still have a full time job, lol.
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

When I read this I think I´m a bit at the same level as you.
I also have to ask everything here ...but up till now I did it all myself.
I also have a fulltime job -shift work-but there´s nobody behind me.
Pan looks great by the way.
lushtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Wow, just wow! This thing will be amazing when you are done. Clearly you are cutting no corners!! So stoked for you and this car...you deserve each other. Man, hope I can see it in person when it’s done.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:
When I read this I think I´m a bit at the same level as you.
I also have to ask everything here ...but up till now I did it all myself.
I also have a fulltime job -shift work-but there´s nobody behind me.
Pan looks great by the way.

Thank you! At least it looks good in pictures. In person there are lots of brush strokes but they won't really be seen in the end.

I was going to try to blast those parts myself but I realized that the investment in a compressor, cabinet, air dryer etc. was not worth it.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

lushtech wrote:
Wow, just wow! This thing will be amazing when you are done. Clearly you are cutting no corners!! So stoked for you and this car...you deserve each other. Man, hope I can see it in person when it’s done.

Thanks, come to the Air Cooled show in CT next year and maybe it will be done! Although at this rate, I highly doubt it. Just discovered my intake manifold has a leaking heat riser. I'm finding it really hard to trust any used parts sold on thesamba and new parts don't fit! Going to see if I can fix it somehow.
lushtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

I think I have a good one I could send you. No Charge/No warranty. Smile
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

For real?! That would be amazing. I will happily pay for shipping if the offer stands.
lushtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

PM me you address
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Nice progress here, keep us updated Very Happy

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

That heat riser is an ugly job. It took me a week to clean mine out and made a right proper mess everywhere. Most effective results come when I used a drill to rotate a length of old clutch cable. I also used water to break up the soot and an old vacuum cleaner to suck up debris and the odd blast of air from the compressor. Luckily the piece was original to the car and has no issues apart from being blocked with soot which sort of made it worth the effort

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Yup, I did all that and it developed a crack along the seam where the heat riser meets the manifold. Water and compressed air leak out. The hole is along the inside edge so there's no way I can see to weld. What are the chances that my local VW dealer has a new one in stock?!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Yup, I did all that and it developed a crack along the seam where the heat riser meets the manifold. Water and compressed air leak out. The hole is along the inside edge so there's no way I can see to weld. What are the chances that my local VW dealer has a new one in stock?!

I would go with slim to probably NEVER!!!

It would be fun to go in and ask just to see their reaction!! I do that all the time when I buy parts for my water cooler Passat...the older guys just look at me, the younger guys have no idea what I am talking about until I show them a picture of the vintage VW ads they have posted on the wall.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

WOW!

Nice job on this - cooking with gas and kicking it’s ass!

Just read the thread from the beginning,
And the transformation has been impressive.

You GO brother.. Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: