Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Last weekend I posted about my 69 Bay which ran without oil and broke down,

Original Topic
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=696633

So this weekend we've stripped it back to find out what exactly had broken.

Firstly, here is Betty in all her glory... and in working condition.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bumper and engine plate removed.

and finally the engine out, which was as easy as expected.
as you can probably see, there are no heat exchangers on this bus, we knew this when we bought her and it was something i was planning on looking into.
So now that the engine is already out. I'll be fixing this.

Engine bay is a little dirty, so while the engine is out, that'll be completely cleaned

Firstly we took at look at the breather tube, which WillaimM pointed out was corrugated, and that this is bad.
Well it turned out to be worse than that! Not only was it corrugated inside, it was also not held on with anything, and was simply slotted over the cut existing hose... very poor, and very lazy whoever did this.

stripping off the ancillaries was also very easy, nothing bound or locked, which is probably due to the engines age, or lack of.

Back to long block, nothing untoward so far.

opening the sump and viewing the filter mesh it became very clear that something was very wrong.

Large chunks of metal shavings visible. oh dear.

The heads while in need of some TLC, all seem to have survived with only mild corrosion showing. the cylinders are all clean and clear from any marks. the pistons look okay from the top, with the exception of one, which is showing overheating

Most of the spark plugs looked okay, all had a degree of carbon however.
The exception was this one from chamber 4, which had some crap on it.

removing piston 4, all of the problems became visible.
it shows impact with something on the inside edge,

The view inside shows a that a bearing seems to have melted to the con rod, or shattered, causing the crank to seize,

it will rotate, but only through about 30degrees,
as a result, I am unable to remove 2 of the 4 pistons without cracking the case.

the last 2 photos, show the extent of the metal work within the case.

So, as you can see. quite significant damage to the one piston, the crank is also likely dead, and the case will need to be split, inspected, and polished to remove any marks caused by the metal being flung around.

with regards to my options.
it is possible to buy just piston heads? I only seem to be able to buy pistons AND cylinders.
Are they paired in such a way that you can only purchase them as a set??
My thinking is, the cheapest way to fix this, would be a new short block, and new pistons.
reuse existing heads and cylinders rebuild, and away we go!

second option would be a new long block, which obviously would be more expensive.
If I can only buy the pistons and cylinders as a set though, then there wouldn't be a worthwhile saving buying a short block and I may as well buy the long block.

Does anyone have any thoughts, on what they would do?

Thanks for your help so far. I've really enjoyed the process of learning this engine so far, looking forward to getting a new one and getting her working again.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

you will need to inspect the case carefully. When a bearing gets hot enough to melt, then the case adjacent to that bearing gets hot too and it can warp. When this happens the case halves will not sit together properly causing the next build to fail also. Look at the color on the crank bearing that seized. If it is blued then the case may be no good.

The pistons have to fit to the cylinder at a specific clearance. They are matched at the factory. If you buy oversize pistons then a machine shop has to bore out the existing cylinders which may cost as much as new pistons and liners.

If it is a rod bearing that has seized, check carefully for a loose oil pickup. If you were low on oil or sucking in air that air usually exits on #2 rod. If it is #2 that is damaged consider that the engine was low on oil.

Also inspect the oil pump carefully. That much metal floating around may have scored the oil pump badly.

Do inspect each part until you understand why it failed. Do you have an oil pressure gauge on it? If so, what was it saying before it failed? How many miles are on the engine?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Ouch, looks rough. Thank you for sharing the carnage, it's good for the rest of the newbies here (me) to have a better understanding of what bad looks like, and how much metal would be in the sump plate. In my opinion, if you don't have someone to guide you through your first long block build, then I would buy a long block. I do not think you can buy just pistons without the cylinders (except in the classifieds maybe, actually my buddy here in Detroit would probably sell you just pistons. Let me know if you want his contact info), and I'm not super convinced you would want to. They need to fit together very well and if the new ones aren't made just right you will put excess stress/wear on your rings and pre-maturely wear them out. The performance engine/trans forum would have better knowledge of that though.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Shocked thats good advise all around- I have a set of oversize pistons -however- discovered the shops wanted $60 each to over bore them- and most wouldn't even take the job as they had no way of securing them in the machine- might have just been an excuse.

Noticed you have no stoppers in the fan shroud where the bright tubes are coming from. That would have bled cooling air from the motor and fed it to the j pipes- But if your going for new heater boxes that should solve that.

with out more cleaning and disassembly of the heads- they look suspicious- one spark plug hole may have a crack and the seats look a little deep to me on a few. Mad

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

reviewing your photos, to me it looks like the clearances are so tight from a long stroke that the piston was hitting a crankshaft counterweight when it was at BDC. See if there is aluminum transfer onto the counterweight that piston connects to. Maybe the endplay got excessive so the crank moved into the piston. I don't know but that is one possibility, although the inspection will reveal what actually happened.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Those J-pipes heat the heads. The holes in the fan housing need to be plugged (tennis balls work in a pinch). Heater boxes are cooled by the fan or the cores would melt. Also thicker cylinder walls are better than thinner, no boring.
Sorry about the mess, been there.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Ouch! Shocked

Sorry for your issues, but thanks for following up on your previous post! Good luck with the repairs - sure is a pretty bus!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Most of your tin looks like aftermarket stuff, which lacks a lot of the correct air vanes and baffles. Looks like the wrong Type I tin used in the front and not the correct Type II tin with the extension.

If it's not cooling right that leads other systems to fail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

While you are working on this engine build do yourself a favor and source a correct VW fan housing. You have some aftermarket garbage on there now which certainly could lead to cooling problems.

A Bus being pushed around by that 1600 needs the stock cooling system in good working order.

Also source yourself a correct oil bath air cleaner. You'll be amazed how much better the Bus drives when you have the intake air preheat function of the stock air cleaner working as it was designed, especially in your climate.

You've got a lot of work ahead of you, sad to say. Do take SGKent's advice, this is not gonna be a "slap some new pistons and a new crank in and call it good" kinda job.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

You might find for instance that somebody has a complete set of secondhamd pistons and cylinders that were removed before an upgrade of the engine. Like I have a set of worn but usable 1641 pistons and cylinders sitting in a cardboard box. I do not want to throw them away but nor do I ever wamt to use them myself. They had new rings fitted but they did not improve.

Get some prpoerly fitting tinware and block the air ducts .. its probably why the oil light always flickered. .. my old engine had to get seriously hot to flicker the oil light at idle.
And a tinware seal.

Even if the case is damaged you might get lucky .. I picked up a rusted up semi water filled siezed engine for £51 and after a lot of cleaning up I had a case which has now run 19000 miles without reboring .. needed new bearings pistons ans cylinders amd recycled cylinder heads asfter lappjng in the valves. Total xost £600 but the pistons and cylinders were £250 of that ... almost used the old ones.[/code]

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies so far! Most appreciated.

I think, based on the advice, I'm going to go with a new long block, rather than try and salvage anything from this one.
I think it's the best option to avoid any future issues.

SGKent wrote:
reviewing your photos, to me it looks like the clearances are so tight from a long stroke that the piston was hitting a crankshaft counterweight when it was at BDC. See if there is aluminum transfer onto the counterweight that piston connects to. Maybe the endplay got excessive so the crank moved into the piston. I don't know but that is one possibility, although the inspection will reveal what actually happened.

I think you might be right, there does appear to be aluminium on on a counterweight, so it looks like this is where it has struck.

mikedjames wrote:
Get some prpoerly fitting tinware and block the air ducts

Volswagon wrote:
The holes in the fan housing need to be plugged (tennis balls work in a pinch). Heater boxes are cooled by the fan or the cores would melt.

williamM wrote:
Noticed you have no stoppers in the fan shroud where the bright tubes are coming from. That would have bled cooling air from the motor and fed it to the j pipes- But if your going for new heater boxes that should solve that.

it hadn't occured to me that the silver flexi pipe not being connected to anything would cause an issue,
Do these tubes connect to the heat exchanger?
If so, does that not cause similar issues diverting airflow away from the engine?

a few people have pointed out that the tin work is aftermarket and of poor quality,
Does anyone have an good quality image of original tin, or even a link to where I can buy some, I can't see much difference if any difference between my tin work and stuff I've seen online.

Could someone identify the part shown mounted to the wheel arch here, it looks like a relay of some kind, however it wasn't connected to anything, so I've got no idea what it was for.

Anyway, since the engine bay was empty, and I currently don't have a new engine to go back in, I thought i'd take the opportunity to clean up the engine bay.

Before

After

An incredible difference i'm sure you'll agree!

Lastly, I mentioned in the last post about the paneling the the top of the engine bay which can be seen in this last photo,

This looks like some kind of asbestos, and it's very warped and ideally, I'd like it gone.
I'm guessing since its asbestos, it's there as some kind of heat shield between the engine compartment and the cabin.
Is there something I can replace it with?

Thanks again for all your help so far.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Sometimes when a rod bearing fails the crank journal is so eaten away that the piston travels farther than it should and hits things.

Buying a long block is probably a good decision, ask around to find who is building the most reliable engines these days. You want something that will last 70,000 - 90,000 miles. Air cooled Buses & Vanagons are really hard on engines compared to any other air cooled VW.
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Awesome Powdercoat sell nice tins!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

The square relay looking part you found is a voltage regulator for a stock type 4 style VW alternator. Ray
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
The square relay looking part you found is a voltage regulator for a stock type 4 style VW alternator. Ray

Also for pre internally regulated type 1 alternators.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

CaptainKingsmill wrote:

it hadn't occured to me that the silver flexi pipe not being connected to anything would cause an issue,
Do these tubes connect to the heat exchanger?
If so, does that not cause similar issues diverting airflow away from the engine?

Yes, those tubes connect to the heat exchangers.

No, that does not cause similar issues.

The heat exchangers get air from the fan housing all the time, regardless of whether the heat is off or on. When the heat is on, the heated air is piped into the cabin. When the heat is off, the heated air is dumped under the car.

The heat exchangers with air constantly flowing through them help to keep the heads cool. If you don't have heat exchangers then you need to plug those outlets on the fan housing or else you have an unrestricted outlet to waste a ton of your cooling air.

The stock VW fan housing was carefully designed and tested to maximize cooling. There are all kinds of intricate vanes and ducts inside (search this site, there are pics of one cut open). The aftermarket ones...not so much.

The VW cooling system works very well when it's all there but there are some critical elements. All the tin is critical. There are some seemingly minor but critical bits such as the "Hoover bit" (search it) and the little tins that snap in the bottoms of the cylinders. Put it this way: each bit of tin is there for a reason. VW could have saved a lot of money leaving tin off if it wasn't needed.

The whole cooling system is based on keeping the bottom side of the engine separated from the top side.

It is therefore critically important that all the tin around the engine is in place and also critically important that the rubber seal between the tin and the body is in place. If you can see the ground from inside the engine compartment, you have a problem that needs to be addressed.

Cool air enters the engine compartment from the vents at the rear of the body. That should be the only path for air to enter the engine compartment.

That cool air is taken in by the cooling fan and forced over the cylinders and heads and through the oil cooler, then ducted out under the car. Any path that allows that heated air to re-enter the engine compartment from below is bad news.
GBear29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, since the engine bay was empty, and I currently don't have a new engine to go back in, I thought i'd take the opportunity to clean up the engine bay.

Before

After

An incredible difference i'm sure you'll agree!

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Great clean up job on the engine bay. Looking forward to getting stuck in with the new long block once you’ve sourced it (I’m the friend who couldn’t fit one in my bag Very Happy ).

Any of you guys in the UK have suggestions where we can get hold of some second hand original parts? Guessing there must be some specialist breakers yards for classic bus / bettle etc?

The more time I spend working on Betty the more I want to find a bus of my own...! Cool
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Hi all!

I've managed to source a reconditioned engine! Picking it up on Friday, planning to install it next weekend!
it's a 1600 to directly replace the one currently in.
The good news is, I've also managed to get a set of heat exchangers, i'm hoping that will go a long way to reducing the overheating issue.

This weekend, as if a new engine wasn't enough to contend with, I'm planning to rewire Betty.
The existing wiring is a mess, and realistically the only way i'm going to be able to get it back to a decent standard is to rip the lot out and start again!
I've got cable arriving on Friday.

I will of course try to take photos for you.
Wish me luck!!

also, If anyone knows, I could really do with an answer on the asbestos looking stuff in my previous post as I was hoping to get rid of that this weekend.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

I would not rip the wiring out,check it over and repair and clean as required,also pull the firewall off and have a look at the fuel tank,maybe replace your fuel lines.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

I don't know if the tarboards contain any asbestos, it's likely safe to assume they do to some degree just in case. I usually remove them during a job such as the one you are currently on and get them wet, then I lay them out on a concrete floor and lay a sheet of plywood on them with sand bags or other weights, in a few days to a week they are dry and ready for another 40+ years of sagging.

They don't do alot to stop heat, but they definitely soak up some sound, buses I've driven when they were removed were much louder back there.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: