Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch disc recommendations for 2110
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
k-weaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

Looking for advice on which clutch disc to run. I've been fighting issues with my car for a while and just this weekend got it dialed in. I had a very old Kennedy pressure plate (dated '94 on the diaphragm) with an EMPI HD disc. It was holding fine, grabbing hard but car had weird issues (wouldn't want to go into gear, idle drop when clutch pressed, etc...).

I had planned to swap the PP because the pedal was rock hard (felt like i was going to rip the seat off the pan when pressing it in!) and in process I realized the arm the cable goes through (on the trans, where the wing nut is) was bent. That was a nightmare to deal with but finally got it sorted. While there I swapped the PP for a new Kennedy Stage 1 I picked up.

So now the car is fine, runs great, no more weird issues. BUT...Clutch is now slipping in the 1-2 gear change. Runs totally fine if you drive it easy to semi-aggressive. But if you dump the clutch at 7k rpm on a 1-2 gear change it slips. With the old PP it would chirp/spin the tires.

So its obvious the old PP was a stronger one. I don't want the pedal to be rock hard though. I have a Daikin disc that I was planning to use for another build but I could swap it into this car no problem. Just wondering if it'll hold or if I should go with an even beefier disc. (I was eyeballing the 1301 Dual Friction Clutch Disc from CB)

Any advice is appreciated. No idea how much hp/tq the motor makes. I can go into build details if it'll help (2110, FK8, 44x37 heads, 44idfs). Car is setup for street/strip.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

KEP Stage 1 with a Copperhead disc on a 2180. Never a problem and the hotter it gets, the better it grabs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=696539&highlight=clutch
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

You put a new pressure plate on with your old used disk?

If you decide to replace 1 part of your clutch, you really need to do all 3. For a chance at holding and working right you have to at least start out with New Disk, New Pressure plate, and resurfaced flywheel.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

Stage 2 and stock disk, good for into 11 second times with a full weight car. My personal car has seen 12.20's with this, a friends car has seen 11.70's with this. Keep the disk as light as possible.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

Stage 2 can be murder on the left foot when driving in traffic.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
k-weaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
You put a new pressure plate on with your old used disk?

If you decide to replace 1 part of your clutch, you really need to do all 3. For a chance at holding and working right you have to at least start out with New Disk, New Pressure plate, and resurfaced flywheel.

The old clutch was basically new. Less than 15 miles on it, really just going around the block to test the car.
k-weaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

This is why i ended up going with a Stage 1 KEP. There is no way the motor is exceeding the tq limits of that PP. From other posts (Thanks for the link @ 74 Thing) I think the Daikin disc I have should hold. I'll swap that this week and report back with the findings.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

I've gone for a Daiken disc and KEP stage 1 on my efi 2276
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

If a stage 2 is that bad something else is wrong, and if you dont like a heavy pressure plate just use a longer arm, easy on the leg and easier on the tranny.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Glenn wrote:

If a stage 2 is that bad something else is wrong, and if you dont like a heavy pressure plate just use a longer arm, easy on the leg and easier on the tranny.

Already have the 100mm arm.

Guess you never drove in New York traffic.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
k-weaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I might take this route for another build i've been working on, that car will be like 90% track. I had no idea longer arms were available.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Mcmscott, I've seen you recommend this setup on another thread and was wondering why the light disk is easier on the tranny? I know jack squat about transmissions is why I'm asking, but thinking about what to get for my new engine
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Mcmscott, I've seen you recommend this setup on another thread and was wondering why the light disk is easier on the tranny? I know jack squat about transmissions is why I'm asking, but thinking about what to get for my new engine

Simple, mass in motion stays in motion, the synchro rings have to synchronize the input shafts speed to the gear that is engaging. The lighter the mass in motion (clutch disk) is, the easier it is for the synchro to do its job.
If you like missed shifts then by all means use a heavy disk.
If you are not planning to shift aggressive then it doesn't matter, but if you are shifting like a Granny whats the point in having a "performance" clutch in the first place.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Onceler wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Simple, mass in motion stays in motion, the synchro rings have to synchronize the input shafts speed to the gear that is engaging. The lighter the mass in motion (clutch disk) is, the easier it is for the synchro to do its job.
If you like missed shifts then by all means use a heavy disk.
If you are not planning to shift aggressive then it doesn't matter, but if you are shifting like a Granny whats the point in having a "performance" clutch in the first place.

I see, thanks for the explanation. I wonder if there's a good way to lighten the copperhead disc, I'm sure if it was a good idea someone would've done it by now though
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

Then why not a 3 puck?

" 3 Pucks are lighter in rotating mass than 4 Pucks, for faster shifting that is easier on your transaxle. RACE USE ONLY. "

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

Seems to me kennedy pressure plates, over the years, some are a lot stiffer than others.
You HEAR "pedal to me feels same as stock" next guy says IT"S SO STIFF I need knee surgery now"

Some of that is subjective, but some of it's also true.
They aren't all created equal.

The cars aren't all the same either. I think if they have a LOT of miles the cable wears a groove into the tube INSIDE, and really binds up the cable.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
just use a longer arm, easy on the leg and easier on the tranny.

I've got long arms and still can't reach the clutch pedal from the drivers seat. Wink
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Then why not a 3 puck?

" 3 Pucks are lighter in rotating mass than 4 Pucks, for faster shifting that is easier on your transaxle. RACE USE ONLY. "

Three pucks shift bitchen! but thet engage extremly harsh, very violent. I'm sure even you can see the difference between a good light, woven disk and a puck, can't you?

And that puck has probably more mass in motion than a stovk woven disk btw

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch disc recommendations for 2110 Reply with quote

Is it just me, or do the new Kennedy diaphragm style pressure plates, and old style 3 arm plates feel differently?
I have the old style in my bus, and the new style in the car, both stage 1. The old style has a more even pressure over the pedal travel. The new style seems to increase as you push, but then seems to lighten up at the end when the pedal is all the way depressed.
SD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: