Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Transferwise"
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

I have some Ghia bumper parts for sale, and a fellow in Belgium wants to pay using "Transferwise". I have not heard of this payment method before-----and neither has my banker. How does it work? (I have always used PayPal for European transactions in the past).
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

Haven’t used it yet, heard of it. Here’s the info:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/bishopjordan/2017/11/29/transferwise-review/amp/

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

Have the buyer hand his cash to a friend and conduct the deal with his friend using different methods. I do this with a buddy since I don't use Paypal.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

Elfried? LOL, asked me too.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
since I don't use Paypal.

Yep.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

What is the problem with paypal?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

He is in Europe, currency exchange rate. I think paypal takes a cut? Transferwise doesn't? Thats what i get from 5 minutes of reading.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Elfried? LOL, asked me too.

Small world, ain't it though?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

UPDATE:
I took payment via "Transferwise". The funds were sent yesterday and posted directly into my bank account today, so it is slower than Paypal, but there are no fees on my end-------I got all of my money. The only negative, if there is one, is that I had to give them my bank routing number and my account number. But, what the heck, that info is printed right there on every check that I write anyway.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
UPDATE:
I took payment via "Transferwise". The funds were sent yesterday and posted directly into my bank account today, so it is slower than Paypal, but there are no fees on my end-------I got all of my money. The only negative, if there is one, is that I had to give them my bank routing number and my account number. But, what the heck, that info is printed right there on every check that I write anyway.

Its a wire transfer.

Its actually pretty hard for them to do anything else with your account other than put money into your account....but even that could be dangerous.... Laughing ...if they are the German mob and using your account to hide large sums of money.

Its actually a good system. It may or may not have as many rules as paypal....but it is an excellent system. I have a customer in Germany that pays my consulting fees by this exact method...but they do not use transferwise. They just do a bank wire transfer.

I find Paypal dead slow. It can take anywhere up to 3 days for paypal. And paypal can take a little too much of a cut for my tastes. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
UPDATE:

Sounds good, that is faster than a lot of international wire transfers I have done in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

My bank charges $15 to receive a wire transfer. $35 to send one domestic and $50 international. Seems Transferwise is a good deal.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
My bank charges $15 to receive a wire transfer. $35 to send one domestic and $50 international. Seems Transferwise is a good deal.

Walk into your bank and ask them your balance. Then request they withdraw all of it and hand it to you. They'll start waiving the occasional asinine fee like that if they value you.

Iowegian- glad it worked out. It reminds me why I used to have a second account at the bank- just for crazy purchases. I did it back when I worked at a bank and Ebay was just getting into full swing- around 1997-98. To this day I still maintain a second VISA for shady VW deals.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: "Transferwise" Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

Walk into your bank and ask them your balance. Then request they withdraw all of it and hand it to you. They'll start waiving the occasional asinine fee like that if they value you.

Iowegian- glad it worked out. It reminds me why I used to have a second account at the bank- just for crazy purchases. I did it back when I worked at a bank and Ebay was just getting into full swing- around 1997-98. To this day I still maintain a second VISA for shady VW deals.

True, Chase says I am a "valued client".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: