Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

Welp, kinda at a loss here.
Just rebuilt the top end of my Turbo 1915cc and put it in my bug.
I had finished installing the full flow before putting in. I was investigating a "small" oil leak today when I noticed a small crack right above the return fitting leftmost if the lower pulley. It must've happened when I tightened it. Is this going to be fixable? I really don't want to replace the block...but it is what it is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

Yes it can be repaired, but you'll have to strip the case down. And, it'll have to go somewhere that can competently weld magnesium. Rimco and Brothers should be able to do it..
That damned fitting bites so many people in the ass! I have learned to NOT tighten it much, and instead rely on a copious amount of red loctite to seal it.
100% success rate so far
SD
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

I had a crack in the same place years ago. I dripped a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading. i then cleaned the case and applied a 2 part epoxy. 5 years and 60,000 miles later the engine failed totally unrelated to the crack.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

This is where paranoia sets in Laughing
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

how many times are we gonna do this?

if it is a straight hole and you jab something tapered in there- yes it will crack.

i have said it so many t8mes taper ream it first then thread it. it will never crack that way.

small crack that is a true pain in the butt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
This is where paranoia sets in Laughing

Yah no kidding, it's always the little things that you never expect that get ya

nsracing wrote:
how many times are we gonna do this?

i have said it so many t8mes taper ream it first then thread it. it will never crack that way.

Okay..before I do anything else to my car I will come to you first to make sure it is okay.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:

So why is the oil taking a hard right after coming out of the fitting in the case?
You have got to be restricting flow a lot with that 2nd 90 degree fitting.
That crack doesn't look like it goes past the end of the fitting INSIDE the case.
I agree with Glenn, stop drill the crack, clean & fill.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

Been there done that. After I did it I was told not to use silicone because it acts like a lubricant and you can't feel how tight it really is. Instead use a thread sealer. You have two options. Disassemble engine and have it welded and re drilled/tapped. Or jb weld it in (or your preferred epoxy). Down side of this is you'll never get it out again.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
So why is the oil taking a hard right after coming out of the fitting in the case?
You have got to be restricting flow a lot with that 2nd 90 degree fitting.
That crack doesn't look like it goes past the end of the fitting INSIDE the case.
I agree with Glenn, stop drill the crack, clean & fill.

Yes I agree that it is probably restricting but that is the only way to get an oil line on there without burning it on the header.
I'll most likely go the route you and glen have suggested. Hopefully it'll hold till winter when I can tear it down and have it welded or build it up into larger 2 liter using parts my buddy has collected.
I appreciate the help everyone.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

You can also plug that port and have the type 3/ bay window style outlet /inlet mod done to the case. This also require full tear down, but get hoses out of the way of exhaust or engine hanger
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

When will people start using parallel thread and dowty washers?
Totally nullifies this issue.
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:

I’ve never heard of this?
Got links?
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDRAULIC-MALE-ADAPTOR-...RV-tlnA_Rg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dowty-Washers-Seals-Hyd...ZYR04Xz7JA
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

I wonder if a pipe tap could be placed in that hole and then TIG weld the crack up. The weld would pull the two halves together.

Edit: Actually maybe just put the fitting back in on the loose side and then weld.

Then , don't spin in a 90 and stop where you want it pointed regardless of the torque applied. Laughing
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:

I have just bought some #6 ORB (o ring boss) fittings and a tap to try. If
It works it'll be a much nicer connection than the npt threads..
The fittings are big though, so finding a combination that clears a stock pulley is the hard part..
atafonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Yes it can be repaired, but you'll have to strip the case down. And, it'll have to go somewhere that can competently weld magnesium. Rimco and Brothers should be able to do it..
That damned fitting bites so many people in the ass! I have learned to NOT tighten it much, and instead rely on a copious amount of red loctite to seal it.
100% success rate so far
SD

Same here.
I tap and test the fitting until the fitting stays at the right position and tight ENOUGH. Then use red loctite. Takes a while, but it works perfect everytime.
Abel
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
I wonder if a pipe tap could be placed in that hole and then TIG weld the crack up. The weld would pull the two halves together.

Edit: Actually maybe just put the fitting back in on the loose side and then weld.

Then , don't spin in a 90 and stop where you want it pointed regardless of the torque applied. Laughing

Can't weld a mag case like that, I believe they have to be welded under water or something like that.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

Mag case can be TIG'ed but it's got to be CLEAN. I mean REALLY CLEAN.

If it were me I'd try to clean and prep the crack for welding while the engine is together (I have my own TIG rig). If that fails, I'd just do a full tear down and try again. If that fails, I'd consult a better welder (I'm pretty good but not a pro) or plan on a new case.

Magnesium is porous so it's absorbs oil. Couple that with the fact it oxidizes like crazy and it means very good prep work is required.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't weld a mag case like that, I believe they have to be welded under water or something like that

I have never welded MAG myself but according to people that have only the dust ignites.
I had welding done on a MAG case. They cleaned it with brake cleaner and weren't a big pain in the ass about it. The end result was excellent.
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: I think I just screwed myself - Cracked Case Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Quote:
Can't weld a mag case like that, I believe they have to be welded under water or something like that

I have never welded MAG myself but according to people that have only the dust ignites.
I had welding done on a MAG case. They cleaned it with brake cleaner and weren't a big pain in the ass about it. The end result was excellent.

This bears repeating if anyone here is so inclined to attempt the repair themselves.

https://isystemsweb.com/phosgene-gas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: