Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

I'll have to ask the pro's - what should I soak this crank assembly in. The pilot bearing is installed too, with red grease, it's ok.
The crank solid bearings won't budge. They are soaking with oil now. The rod journals are gunked up.

It's been wrapped up ~4 years until today. What will soften dried lithium?

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=

Last edited by Volswagon on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

Since like dissolves like, and I have a tub of lithium that's still like new even after 20 years, would dobbing some fresh on it do any good?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

Solvent cleaner... Loctite 7063 would likely work well.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

Brake cleaner or you can soak with auto transmission fluid mixed with a little gas to thin it out, old junk yard trick for stuck bolts.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

Brake cleaner it is. Thanks gur. I concur.
I left the front wheel off the S10 to finish routing new plugs and wires and catch the outer front brake pads. 182K on a factory plug #1 under the AC compressor, and 3 oddballs, with #4 loose. Throttle body intake boot cracked. First time I've had it apart, 82K of that is mine since the bus died. Got it from my brother with chunky soup for oil.
I miss my Bus - she completes me!

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:
Brake cleaner or you can soak with auto transmission fluid mixed with a little gas to thin it out, old junk yard trick for stuck bolts.

I also think brake cleaner. Guys wash off grease from wheel bearings all the time.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:

AT fluid and Acetone...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Vanillagurilla wrote:

I also think brake cleaner. Guys wash off grease from wheel bearings all the time.

Brake clean, petroleum spirits (paint thinner) and PB Blaster, my three main tools...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

I'll prolly end up taking the crank apart to clean up the bearings. Breakfree is what I've used in the past just because it was on hand, great gun oil.
Thanks for the responses.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

Breakfree is good too...

Dale

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

Plug wires on S10 4-cyl. are a bitch, even the pro's agree.

I have bearings 1 and 2 turning, 4 is still stuck like glue, still soaking.

But every time I sit on these new seat covers, I know she'll be worth the trouble.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

I got her turning by hand with case torqued down. Raby 9550 cam kit, bought in '09, included dual thrust bearing and solid spacer rocker arm upgrade.

Len Hoffman 0825 1.8L heads, after he cut the steps in 2010. They have around 15,000 mi. on them and have been waiting on me.

theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

Spray oil. Why turn it into a big project.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank has dried lithium grease from sitting Reply with quote

I've turned it into a build thread. Just got the rusty 210mm flywheel shined up at the shop.
It's a minor miracle I still have all this stuff after the last 8 years.
I'm doing this in the basement with "stone knives and bear skins."

timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

When you own & operate a 43 y/o bus,
you stash your bits & pieces where you can.(like a squirrel with nuts)
Not that I would know, my bus is only 42.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

What is the 9550 cam? Is that the Camper Special cam?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
What is the 9550 cam? Is that the Camper Special cam?

No....well it "may" be used as a camper special cam.....I have no idea....I do not work on camper engines Laughing .....but its a Raby version of the Web #73 with a couple of extra degrees of exhaust overlap for better head cooling. I have a 9550 kit I bought in ahout 2009 to 2010 right before Jake got out of the store. Its going into my 1.7L 412 engine.

It was superseded by the 9590....which is tuned to work a little better with fuel that has alcohol.....so I was told.

The 9550 is a great cam for certain applications just a bit hotter than stock. Ray
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Good info Ray, thanks!
I have a broken oil ring on these CIMA pistons. Widths are 2mm top, 1.5mm middle and 3.5mm oils. Am I looking for new pistons? I have a few cracked fins and was apprehensive about that already Sad
I'm checking with Bus Depot, but I'm having land-line issues today and no cell.

Oh, and there's a K6 solar storm today, 4/20, medicate accordingly!

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
Good info Ray, thanks!
I have a broken oil ring on these CIMA pistons. Widths are 2mm top, 1.5mm middle and 3.5mm oils. Am I looking for new pistons? I have a few cracked fins and was apprehensive about that already Sad
I'm checking with Bus Depot, but I'm having land-line issues today and no cell.

Oh, and there's a K6 solar storm today, 4/20, medicate accordingly!

Post pictures of where the cracked fins are.

Also....measure the skirts of the pistons. If they are not collapsed and not scored.....and the ring was not broken by a bent or dented ring land......and the ring lands are clean....just get new rings. Ray
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

G'day mate. Fins are next to head. One piece oil ring, broke cable, which scored piston (#2) on the flywheel side. My buddy Ron's Import shows no listing for pistons.
I'd like to score some 90's like yours, thicker walls, but a set of rings will do for now. I doubt Bus Depot has anything but stock size (2, 2, 4) rings. Saw the same dilly with CIMA Bug pistons back in the day Sad Gonna go medicate, Cheers!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: