Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A barndoor chassis buried in my garden
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

No thread yet. I've thought about a barndoor Crewcab too. It would be cool as 😊😊
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

bally wrote:
No thread yet. I've thought about a barndoor Crewcab too. It would be cool as 😊😊

especially a RHD smoothgate, with the suicide door on the left, would be killer.

wondered where the semaphores should be.

the later ones had the semaphores between the doors, which is not a great spot really. I think leaving them in the original b-pillar that would become the c-pillar would be quite awesome.

a "real factory stock" smooth seamed gate, seamed roof barndoor crewcab, yummy.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

would love to see a thread on your project Dave. Having the bus with Mark Spicer at Type 29 sounds very promising. It's going to be another piece of fine art. That man is so incredibly talented, patient and truly capable of pulling this off ! Hats off to Master Mk Splicer.... Very Happy

Uli, if you ever catch a flight back homeland, and plan on a trip south, your welcome to visit anytime.

Have been moving a bit forward with things on the pedal arrangement using a mix and match of 1961,64 and 73 beetle parts. I wanted this to be a factory appearing design and without cutting and interfering original Barndoor layout, so I can readily reuse this arrangement on my next original early Transporter. You never know... Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

different pivot point due to reworked seating position, increased legroom and steering gear location.

clearance.

centered steering/seating position ( but offset 1"outboard compared to og setup).

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

I am following this build and enjoying each post since it began with a "Garden Find" of BD parts.

Great work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

thx for following! I'll be working on this custombuilt front section on and off this winter and hopefully be able to reunite it with the centersection/original dug up tailsection later this spring/summer to have a complete rolling chassis again.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
would love to see a thread on your project Dave. Having the bus with Mark Spicer at Type 29 sounds very promising. It's going to be another piece of fine art. That man is so incredibly talented, patient and truly capable of pulling this off ! Hats off to Master Mk Splicer.... Very Happy

Uli, if you ever catch a flight back homeland, and plan on a trip south, your welcome to visit anytime.

would love to come visit. been a long time since my last trip to austria, there were still Mark and Schilling...... will be difficult to forget all that.... maybe beer will help? chatting about old VWs and Fords should be fun.

Uli

Stevo_L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

fking awesome work gü! love it Applause
looking forward to some updates Very Happy

when converting to r&p steering, think about bump steer, thats why csp, tafel,.. conversions are using polo racks with tierods connected to the middle of the car
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

Danke Stef !

Yeah I was thinking about the bump steer a lot but still wanted the shorter tie rods so they would clear the chassis withouth having to C notch it at all. I also need to retain the walkthrough floor level as low as possible.
You can see that I have type 1 axle and spindles including highrise steering arms (with tierod ends already reversed). much different than type 2 spindles with low arms. I also ommit the typical skyhigh original Barndoor front frame kickup for rigidity reasons. so this means a lower frame contour around the tie rods and limited travel.
on full drop the toe in will be messed up, but at retained ride height +-2.5cm (travel) the tierods AND trailing arms are both nearly horizontal and thus zero to minimal bump steer should occurr. As a matter of fact it should be much less than on a factory BD or beetle setup with offset steering arm.

I am also not planning on driving this bus fully dropped ( will only be a 'show' and 'garage parking' drop). which would have extremely bad spring/suspension action with the trailing arms madly inclined anyways.
If I really decide that I want it to have laying frame ( NEVER!.... Laughing ) or driving way below our street clearance limits ( NEVER, EVER...! Very Happy ), I'd swap the spindles for drop spindles and still have my horizontal tierod/trailing arm layout @ ride height while the bus would even be 2" lower then.

That said, Thx a lot for your input and I will check out those setups. Just wanted to share my reasoning for the current setup. G.

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

Don't worry Uli, neither Marks nor Schillings would be worth anything these days and inflation rates, so youll get used to Euros soon. If you have been away for 20 years, just substitute Schillings with Euros.... Laughing ( og exchange rate was 14:1 in favor of the Euro). If you want to buy anything bus related over here nowadays, you can simply ommit the cash calculating and call your bank for a loan right away... Rolling Eyes ...then you may need a beer anyways Laughing

mandraks wrote:

would love to come visit. been a long time since my last trip to austria, there were still Mark and Schilling...... will be difficult to forget all that.... maybe beer will help? chatting about old VWs and Fords should be fun.

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

Needed a few days off, since I got somewhat stuck with all the different engineering needs. had some fresh ideas, so I was able to proceed with setting up a trial fit front clip and move on with the shifter and floors.
Don't hate me for the front cut, that wasn't me...looks spooky to say the least ! Shocked Confused

Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:

Yeah I was thinking about the bump steer a lot but still wanted the shorter tie rods so they would clear the chassis withouth having to C notch it at all

Speaking from experience, try and make your track rods as long as possible. Having bump steer really is no fun to drive, plus it can easily mess your tracking up and trash your tyres quickly

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

preparing old parts, measuring, measuring and some more measuring.
for now I am using this late 62 front and a 55 door because they provide the most original dimensions.

I am still looking to confirm two seat pedestal/cab area dimensions, if you wouldn't mind to take a look in this post:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9561612#9561612

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

More test fitting of different wheels, tires and ride heights. starting to build the wheelwells/substructure. couldn't stand the dead fish look any longer. Very Happy

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
More test fitting of different wheels, tires and ride heights. starting to build the wheelwells/substructure. couldn't stand the dead fish look any longer. Very Happy

i like the 4.75/16s 26.2 inch diameter should make it much easier to fit it in the lowered wheel wells. Only concern would be the load rating? only half of a 6 ply bus tire.

Then again if it is good enough for a front engine hot rod, maybe it is fine for rear engine VW?

what are you planning for the rear? straight axle? irs? full custom?

Uli

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

Yes Uli, your concerns are realistic. I was just checking that the other day when mounting the tire. it is rated at 735lb@35psi. which is approx 330kg. meaning 660kg on the front axle. the rears will be 6.50 which are rated at 1580lbs@ 32psi. thats ca 710kg per tire or 1420 on the rear axle so the total would be 2080kg, which fits the bill with a 1200kg bus and 850 payload.

BUT ! of course that would be a very,very bad weight distribution ratio (660:1420 =1:2.15 =32%:68%) and buses don't load like that.

There are certain factors that come into play. I want to build the front of the bus as light as I can. I use a balljoint beetle axle for lighter springing and comfortable ride, which also saves a lot of weight. also the front will obviously seat only 2 persons, so thats another 150lbs off the axle. I'll try saving weight wherever I can on the body and I have some ideas to shave at least 100-120kgs (250pds) off the body.

Since this is going to be a one off-coachbuilt vehicle, it is going to have a full tehcnical inspection anyways, and I will have the total weight and payload dropped to a safe, reasonable and legal figure, since I don't plan to load 3/4 ton or 9 persons anyway. it is going to be a lighter commuter type bus, for a maximum of 5pssgrs (+driver) or a very light, minimal camping outfit.

Yes the rear will have a straight 4.37 beetle axle, I do have other ratios available, but for now the plans are for a solid 1500 and the 4.37, combined with lowered payload should make for a reasonable cruiser.

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

I’ve somehow missed notifications for this thread for a few weeks then boom I've had loads to catch up on!! I’m loving all the thought and engineering going into this build, the technical details! Keep up the great work and great posts please.

Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:

Yes the rear will have a straight 4.37 beetle axle, I do have other ratios available, but for now the plans are for a solid 1500 and the 4.37, combined with lowered payload should make for a reasonable cruiser.

early full synchro, i would likely choose a teilsynchro, just so it can properly whine in first gear. gearing is quite similar.

curious how you are going to eliminate that much weight from the body?

wood? alu?

Uli

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

I love the whine in my Ovals, but not going for it in a possibly daily driven commuter bus. I use a factory rebuilt full synchro tunnel case, that is set up with short (pre 67) axles (+1" spacers) for easier removal of rear tires.

exactly that. Aluminium, wood and plexiglass.
Real glass is extremely heavy. Except for the windshields, there will be lots of plexiglass... Wink

mandraks wrote:

early full synchro, i would likely choose a teilsynchro, just so it can properly whine in first gear. gearing is quite similar.

wood? alu?

TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

that is really awesome seeing it come together! Thanks for sharing your method and your thoughts behind the project!

Looking forward to the next updates,

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A barndoor chassis buried in my garden Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:

exactly that. Aluminium, wood and plexiglass.
Real glass is extremely heavy. Except for the windshields, there will be lots of plexiglass... Wink

mandraks wrote:

wood? alu?

cool. Wood floor?

I always wondered how much weight aluminum body panels would save.

I follow Chris Runge from Runge cars on Youtube.

https://rungecars.com/

cargo door skins, roof panel, even the long side panel. anything on the inside could be aluminum very easily.

I will be paying close attention!

Uli

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: