Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor to 60-67 transmission swap
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
troll64x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Barndoor to 60-67 transmission swap Reply with quote

Can someone plz help me out with swapping out the BD transaxle for a 60-67 transaxle.I’m sure there’s already a thread somewhere in here thx
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor to 60-67 transmission swap Reply with quote

If you are looking to do a swap and keep the reduction boxes, you will need early barndoor splined end and late bus square end spring plates. I'm sure Nate at WagensWest can help.

If you simply want to remove the reduction boxes and go with a simple swing axle setup, Nate sells nice adjustable spring plates and make this install easy. You will need the swing axle trans and 62-65 beetle short axles and tubes. For brakes, I run late model T-3 backing plates, brake cylinders and shoes, and then use an early T-3 wide 5 brake drum with 5/8 of an inch machined off the snout to properly fit the castle nut onto it and have enough threads to safely hold everything in place.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor to 60-67 transmission swap Reply with quote

Terry Gaudet wrote:
If you are looking to do a swap and keep the reduction boxes, you will need early barndoor splined end and late bus square end spring plates. I'm sure Nate at WagensWest can help.

If you simply want to remove the reduction boxes and go with a simple swing axle setup, Nate sells nice adjustable spring plates and make this install easy. You will need the swing axle trans and 62-65 beetle short axles and tubes. For brakes, I run late model T-3 backing plates, brake cylinders and shoes, and then use an early T-3 wide 5 brake drum with 5/8 of an inch machined off the snout to properly fit the castle nut onto it and have enough threads to safely hold everything in place.

Nate built the spring plates for my barndoor to run with reduction boxes. They work great.

There are four or five ways to make the forward transmission mount work without hacking the bus, or just hack the old mount out and weld a new one in.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: