Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flippidy Dooda!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

Ouch, glad you are OK.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

Damn, I opened this thread thinking someone got a new flipseat! Laughing

Glad it ended as well as it did Ivan!!! Shocked
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
So the trailer actually came off the hitch? No safety chains?

Yes chains... Since I was kinda busy on my forwards/sideways motion, all I could get was a quick glance at the trailer's "dance". So I have to assume that it flipped over first, thus popping out of the hitch, dragging and then snapping the chain latches...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thinking about it later I also surmised that I did the right thing in staying on the gas while maneuvering. Otherwise it could have gotten uglier as in jack knifing or worse because the trailer seem to WANT to go off the cliff. I figured if it wanted to do that, it could go on its own! I was not going to have any of it! Laughing

Glad you are ok. That could have been much worse.

I am not surprised the chains gave way, those clips are near useless for this purpose. Suggest something stronger unless you are going for the break-away effect (may have been a benefit in this situation)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
I am not surprised the chains gave way, those clips are near useless for this purpose. Suggest something stronger unless you are going for the break-away effect (may have been a benefit in this situation)

Yeah, after having them fail on a few other similar applications I only use the threaded ones for trailer chains now, loaned it to a freind and he didn't do up the ball and they caught the trailer no sweat.

I knew a guy years ago that had a small aircraft cable that ran from the license plate on his trailer up to the bumper on his truck, he figured if the trailer got away and did some damage or went off a cliff the plate would stay with the truck and the trailer couldn't be traced back to him Surprised

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

Glad that it all worked out OK, but if there had a been a vehicle hit by that trailer, you'd be in a world of shit. It has happened too many times.

My trailers have safety chains similar to these, and always well over-rated for the job at hand...

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

Don’t agree. If something falls off a car in front of you and you hit it, front party is possibly guilty of unsecured load, but you are guilty of some combination of following too closely or distracted driving.

A lost item will decelerate slower than a hard braked car, so you’re reaction time with a proper following distance means you don’t hit it.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

I asked a few questions at the joo-howl place... Their hooks are 5k and 10k pounds and are simply the "S" type, no locks. So in case of "dragging" the trailer I'd assume they would stay hooked but upon bouncing a bit they may still come off. Confused

I will be looking for both, the 10k rate, though my trailer should be well under 2k, and the "S" hook but with the clip as shown on the pix above. Cool

Been pulling this trailer for well over 15 years or so without any issues but after that episode, might as well upgrade the safety side of it. Wink
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Don’t agree. If something falls off a car in front of you and you hit it, front party is possibly guilty of unsecured load, but you are guilty of some combination of following too closely or distracted driving.

A lost item will decelerate slower than a hard braked car, so you’re reaction time with a proper following distance means you don’t hit it.

I was thinking about a vehicle headed in the opposite direction, not following behind.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I was thinking about a vehicle headed in the opposite direction, not following behind.

..and I wasnt thinking...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

From what I read, it still is an accident, but those chains need to stay on the vehicle, I agree.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Abscate wrote:

From what I read, it still is an accident, but those chains need to stay on the vehicle, I agree.

Six of juan, half a dozen of the other. But I second that emotion... BTDT!!! Long time ago, I was just sitting there waiting for the green light. Green light comes on and as I start rolling... a BOAT veers towards my bus and almost hit me!!! Shocked

It came off the ball of the truck pulling it. While the chains did keep it from going its own way, it did scare the shit out of me. The truck stopped and the boat crammed into its tailgate. The driver prolly forgot to latch the ball lock. d'oh!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Six of juan, half a dozen of the other. But I second that emotion... BTDT!!! Long time ago, I was just sitting there waiting for the green light. Green light comes on and as I start rolling... a BOAT veers towards my bus and almost hit me!!! Shocked

It came off the ball of the truck pulling it. While the chains did keep it from going its own way, it did scare the shit out of me. The truck stopped and the boat crammed into its tailgate. The driver prolly forgot to latch the ball lock. d'oh!

I was hauling an empty boat trailer many years ago down rough gravel road. It took a few hundred yards of dragging the trailer by the chains and making a ditch down the road before I realized it had popped off the ball. Never did figure out why, as it had been latched down.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

If you don't look underneath, its easy to push the tongue up and not grab the ball ... Shocked .....the latch then nicely closes and you are setup for FAIL.

Of course, if the latch is adjusted right you feel it close and it takes some effort to latch, which it won't if you .."miss"
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

Whew, glad for the outcome!

I agree with the locking steel safety chain latches.
But I've always been leery of the ball latch mechanisms on my trailers.
My Featherlite towing rig has the most positive-feeling ball latch mechanism I've seen. Most of the other trailers I've towed have the standard pull up, latch, and hope for the best mechanisms, and I never have felt real secure about them.

All hail the Featherlite! (taken earlier today)

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westcoastbullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

coming through the sierras my grandpa knew he was in trouble when his rear trailer, in a set of doubles, was trying to pass him...black ice is super sketch.

awesome save.

TEAM AUOK 1984 SKATEBOARD CO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

Ok, as long as there are tow war stories...I was going to the Colorado River to ski with my boss heading east on a long straight section of highway in the desert. I'm the passenger in his truck, we're going 60mph. I glance off to my right where the shoulder is and I say, "Whoa, there's a boat exactly like yours!", all in a fraction of a second, of course. It dawns on me there's no towing vehicle. He freaks. The boat disappears. He slows to stop. At exactly the same instant the boat begins a sudden deceleration. As we stop the trailer stops about 3 feet behind and inline with the hitch. He says, "I meant to do that".

Sheesh.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

indeed, these 'snap hooks' would have been criminally negligent if that happened and involved a fatality.
I won't even secure my dog with those hooks, they're for hanging petunias on your grandma's porch.
take towing more serious than driving and we'll all survive.
glad the damage to you and your trailer were minimal. and a 'cheap' life lesson is learned.

buseric wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
So the trailer actually came off the hitch? No safety chains?

Yes chains... Since I was kinda busy on my forwards/sideways motion, all I could get was a quick glance at the trailer's "dance". So I have to assume that it flipped over first, thus popping out of the hitch, dragging and then snapping the chain latches...

Thinking about it later I also surmised that I did the right thing in staying on the gas while maneuvering. Otherwise it could have gotten uglier as in jack knifing or worse because the trailer seem to WANT to go off the cliff. I figured if it wanted to do that, it could go on its own! I was not going to have any of it! Laughing

Glad you are ok. That could have been much worse.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

Duly noted and I am sourcing better chains and hooks as it is! Cool
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

Just today, I'm in a local Fry's parking lot putting on my motorcycle hemet when I hear a "cathunck, bam, cathunck". I look over my shoulder to see a lady in a SUV, pulling a fairly large enclosed trailer. She made the turn down her row like she didn't have a trailer, only she did. Trailer went over the parking row medium and displaced a huge landscaping rock. She just kept on driving and parked a little farther down. I watched her get out and walk right by the mess she made and didn't even look at it. Rolling Eyes
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

Its frightening to think that ANYONE with a drivers license can hitch on a 48 ft enclosed trailer and proceed down a highway at 80mph!

This is a fun read about one smug asshole that tows a 28' + triple axle airstream with his 2008 Odessey and is apparently very proud of his upcoming darwin award!!

https://medium.com/@andreasduess/you-cant-tow-it-with-that-9d469685e6a7

plane_ben wrote:
Just today, I'm in a local Fry's parking lot putting on my motorcycle hemet when I hear a "cathunck, bam, cathunck". I look over my shoulder to see a lady in a SUV, pulling a fairly large enclosed trailer. She made the turn down her row like she didn't have a trailer, only she did. Trailer went over the parking row medium and displaced a huge landscaping rock. She just kept on driving and parked a little farther down. I watched her get out and walk right by the mess she made and didn't even look at it. Rolling Eyes
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Flippidy Dooda! Reply with quote

My favorite:

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: