Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring/Switch issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Wiring/Switch issue Reply with quote

I have found an issue with my Pod switch on my 51. This has to do with the rear running lights and dash lights. I have checked by running a jumper from the main power to the block that supplies the power to the dash lights and the running lights. They power up properly.

Here is a picture of a spare pod that I have here. The terminal I am referring to is just below the one that is missing the screw, and has the wire for the dash light hooked to it. The rear running lights are fastened to the screw post.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I do not get any power to the block when the light switch is in either position parking or headlights. In the picture you can see how I am touching it.

But when I touch the metal strip that the block is fixed to I get 6 volts

I tried using QD Electronic Cleaner and a small brass brush. It did no good the results are still the same. I am getting good contact to the switch due to the fact that when the switch is in the off position and I touch the metal strip I no longer get 6 volts. The block seems to be connected to the metal strip so for the life of me I can not understand why it is not transferring. Has anyone else had this issue before? and is their a way to remedy the situation? Thanks

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring/Switch issue Reply with quote

Take the wire off and check the voltage. You have a bad connection. Might need to be cleaned with a brass tooth brush.
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring/Switch issue Reply with quote

I did remove the wire and cleaned the terminal with QD Electronic Cleaner and a small brass brush. The block seems to be attached to the plate so I do not understand why the power is not transferring. I am not sure if the block is removable, the wire that goes to the dash lights is not removable.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring/Switch issue Reply with quote

In your first picture, the bottom-most screw terminal block appears to have a generous fillet of solder, connecting it to its metal strip. Your problem connection could benefit from such a fix. It is possible that there is a riveted connection under the problem terminal block which no longer conducts due to oxidation of the metals.
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring/Switch issue Reply with quote

I was already thinking that may be the fix I need. The only problem , or should I say what sucks is that I will probably need to take the pod out to lay flat, I don't think I could solder it with it in the car.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring/Switch issue Reply with quote

Well this does explain a situation I was in during the install of the new harness from John. This must have been an issue many years ago, I say that because I know the last two owners never touched the wiring, there was a jumper wire that I removed during the install, That particular wire was not on the schematic that John sent so I removed it. I went back in my photos and plainly see that someone jumped from the headlight wire to that terminal. (wire #13 in the pictures) So this must have been faulty for a Loooong time.

#13 is just above #14 in this picture

here it is the red and black wire just above #14

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring/Switch issue Reply with quote

I didn't notice the other one was soldered but I was thinking solder it too.

The crimped connection there looks crappy, I'd probably uncrimp that and clean and solder it at the same time.

Check it on your tester afterward. LOL

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring/Switch issue Reply with quote

Or you could just jump it off the working terminal and quit beating yourself up over it. All a matter of what your end game is regarding the work you're doing on the car. Just consider that you're working with very old material here (which may have yet other hidden damage than you're deducing), and could end up inflicting more damage than you're correcting. Anyway...Just a thought... We've all been down that road where the proverbial operation was a success, but the patient died.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: