Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

81 Tin-Top "The Banana"
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

First off, hows it going, ive been lurking here for awile now and finally made an account.

I just bought this 81 tin-top and got her home tonight.

The immediate list:
All fuel lines need replaced "rubber"
Get it running
Figure out the brakes "none"

Down the road:
She is getting a waterboxer2.5l

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Good looking rig. A waterboxer? OK
Oh yeah

Welcome home brother. Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Welcome naners!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheMonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

My ones an '82, originally had the same two-tone colour combo, it appears, as yours, Ivory over Bamboo Yellow, 8 seater, branded as the Bus in these parts. Now resprayed solid yellow. I kept my aircooled engine which I'm happy with, it largely suites the conditions here. You too may learn to love the mighty 2 litre.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

always liked that color combo and it's actually in good sharp color..
too many times it's faded..
quite the rare.. unique find..

congrats..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

TheMonk wrote:
My ones an '82, originally had the same two-tone colour combo, it appears, as yours, Ivory over Bamboo Yellow, 8 seater, branded as the Bus in these parts. Now resprayed solid yellow. I kept my aircooled engine which I'm happy with, it largely suites the conditions here. You too may learn to love the mighty 2 litre.

Mine has the 3 benches however you want to count the seats.2+2+2 or 3+3+3

Im looking at a subie 2.5l for if i go into the mountains or going down the interstate. Also if im in alot of stop and go traffic it wont heat soak on me near as badly. Also it should get just a litter better mileage, *also with a 27" tire*.

Not sure how fond I am of the ivory/yellow, I was pondering shooting the ivory a pure white.

And Hello down under! Ive got some family in western
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Update, Thursday I replaced all the rubber in the fuel system, and completely drained the tank.
complety disconnected the airbox fuel injector
cleaned and adjusted the points, installed a new condensor
Got it running and got a chance to drive her around under her own power.

Friday I adjusted all the valves and adjusted the idle, shes running like a top, except for the leaking exhaust gaskets.... she has a lean pop in the right bank, but the exhaust is causing that.

*took me awile to figure out how to set the valves on a pancake*

All of the rubber lines had to be special ordered, so teusday we will see if we can get brakes.
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Well, the time finally came to tackle the brakes.

The rotors were pretty rusty, so i removed the rotors and drums to have them turned only to find that they were already below spec, GREAT!.....
So i then decided to just order a slew of parts. But clearly not enough...

Parts i Ordered*
Both front hoses
Both rear hoses
Both Calipers
New rotors
New drums
New Front inner and outer bearings
New Shoes
New Pads
New Master Cylender
New Wheel Cylenders

I spent most of yesterday completly rebuilding the brake system and packing the front bearings only to get everthing together except the master cylender.

Removed the instrument panet, unbolted the master from the booster, and took the lines loose..... The Inside of the booster looked terrible from the master leaking, theres a bunch of rust sludge all over in it.. And normallly i would probly run it if i was only going to drive it around here.. But since im planning on driving it all across the country, Im going to replace it now befor it completly fails and leaves me stranded.. Theres nothing worse than being away from home and having to pay someone to work on a mechanics vehicle...

And around here Noone can even get a vanagan booster, so it looks like im going to be doing the bmw conversion. Tomarrow I will order it and have it by teusday.

Then its time for tires and driving it!!!!!.
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

I like to take the extra step to make things look nice, so i gave i nice coat of paint to a few things to preserve them from further rust. And keep them looking nice.

Also, theres a few pictures of the bottom of my bus to give you an idea of how rust free she is. Soon at work we are going to be resealing the bottom of her in bedliner to futher preserve her from salt.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

You sir have a BA6! Give me a holler when you want that working again. Great auxiliary heater that will absolutely roast you out!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Cool looking van, I like the yellow.

Will you be camperizing it for your travels?
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
You sir have a BA6! Give me a holler when you want that working again. Great auxiliary heater that will absolutely roast you out!

I was told that these are notorious for burning down buses.... Its not the brightest idea to have a fuel injector in the airbox... lol. So I disconnected the fuel feed line to the aux pump. The PO told me that it didn't work and to not get it working.

Shes getting a waterboxer and I'm going to convert the front ducting to a later waterboxer setup with a heater core.
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:

I am, once I get it drivable, I'm going to gut the back and after a thorough cleaning... reeks like mice... Then I'm going to start measuring it out and build my spinoff of a westfalia type cabinetry and counter. Ive been gathering a lot of ideas of pintrest lol...

The downfall is the space is so small... and being 6'1", the 4'8" roof height kinda sucks. but at the same time it makes it fun figuring out how to make it all fit and not look cluttered.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

This looks like it’s going to be fun! Nice van, nice colors, nice work...

Enjoy!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Enjoy!

Ill be up your way sometime late this year early next year, I have family up there
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Driver4r wrote:
Pinetops wrote:

I am, once I get it drivable, I'm going to gut the back and after a thorough cleaning... reeks like mice... Then I'm going to start measuring it out and build my spinoff of a westfalia type cabinetry and counter. Ive been gathering a lot of ideas of pintrest lol...

The downfall is the space is so small... and being 6'1", the 4'8" roof height kinda sucks. but at the same time it makes it fun figuring out how to make it all fit and not look cluttered.

Sounds like a good plan. If you get tired of the roof height you could always make it into a hightop down the road at some point. I used to camp in a tin top bay and while it's annoying that you can't stand up, it still gets the job done.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Driver4r wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

I was told that these are notorious for burning down buses.... Its not the brightest idea to have a fuel injector in the airbox... lol. So I disconnected the fuel feed line to the aux pump. The PO told me that it didn't work and to not get it working.

Shes getting a waterboxer and I'm going to convert the front ducting to a later waterboxer setup with a heater core.

Total bullshit. I fix em up all the time. Give me a call or PM me and let’s chat about it. Very simple system with a ton of safety things in place to prevent accidents.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Total bullshit. I fix em up all the time. Give me a call or PM me and let’s chat about it. Very simple system with a ton of safety things in place to prevent accidents.

Guess what I found XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USo_Y6uhZnY
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Driver4r wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

Enjoy!

Ill be up your way sometime late this year early next year, I have family up there

Let us know when you’re in the area! As for something waaay off-topic, here’s a link to a blog that I follow by a Nebraskan. He’s been riding his moto around North and South America for awhile. I find it to be an above average travel diary. FWIW, YMMV.

https://everywhereman.me/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

I got my second hand bmw booster today, and I'm trying to understand it, most Bendix setups they have the vacuume going to the backside of the booster diaphram. This one the vaccum port is on the open side, and with no master cylinder you cant pull a vacuum to check it. Where as a Bendix setup you can still pull a vacuum on the diaphragm.

I want to check it befor installing it. and having a vacuum to the backside of the master cylinder, wont that aid in helping trying to pull brake fluid past the rear seal of the cylinder?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: