Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

81 Tin-Top "The Banana"
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Welp, what started as a booster swap soon turned into pulling out the vent box to vaccum it all out.. mice had made a mess in my vent piping
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

to prevent that from future intrusions. I cover those 2 front openings with good old hardware cloth between the heater box and the body with some foam tape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Has anyone had first hand experience with these? Was wondering how cheap quality they actually are.

https://www.amazon.com/WATERWICH-Illuminated-Water...dpSrc=srch
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

I used one similar once and find that blue ring to be Very bright and rather distracting at night it only had a single blue LED instead of the ring but be aware.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Yesterday night I got my brakes bled as good as I could get them. And got 2 tires mounted up to freshly painted wheels.

I also gutted the rear of my bus. Is anyone here interested in my rear seats and/or the molded insulation?

I also have quite a few wiring issues to I track down, I have zero front turn signals, no right marker and no right brake and tail. My charging system also works intermittently. Today it ran until the battery died because it wasn't charging.

Also now I need to do pushrod tubes, 2 of them are leaking right on the left heat exchanger and filling the bus with smoke.
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Needing a passenger seat sliding track. if you have one, let me know asap. would be better if it was a swivle

Also went and looked at an old vw shop today, 11 bugs in various shape and an ABUNDANCE of parts.
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

My engine has developed a surge at idle, It was doing this a little bit when I first got it, but after adjusting the valves it cleared up a bit, and I had to adjust the idle screw.

At idle befor the surge started she would occasionally pop, but I chalked that up to just be exhaust gaskets leaking.

BUT Saturday I was finally able to drive her and I put roughly 30 miles on her in stop and go traffic around town. and this surge developed
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Update, we went camping this weekend and everything was great, put around 200 miles on her doing 45-50mph.

Fast forward to today, she now needs a new engine or a rebuild. I was driving down the street and started rod knocking...

Do I go ahead with the suburu swap? roughly 2k.. and not have my bus for who knows how long, or salvage what I have and freshen it up....

I'm thinking the latter of the 2 and down the road swap it just so I'm not without her for that long...
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

you may find it difficult to rebuild what you have within the same economics as a swap.
but it's the beginning of the season and a terrible time to go without.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

well, Shes out and loaded up.

From the time I pulled in my driveway, to the time she was setting on the ground, 2 hours passed.

I dont feel thats too bad for my first pancake extraction. And thats including pulling her in the garage and getting her all lifted up on stands.

I wish every other vehicle was this easy..

Still stuck in a 3 way dilema.. do i rebuild it, buy another locally, or subie swap... Ive been debating the #s
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Welp, Ive 80% decided I'm swapping it.

Needing ideas on,

1. An all aluminum radiator, I hate aluminum/plastic
2. Cable or dbw, I'm leaning dbw for cruise.

Any things to warn me about befor i start my endevor?

Im doing my own conversion/harness/and tuning.

Whats the dimensions and measurments for my front lower grill cutout?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

I think someone on here did a rear-mounted radiator. If I had an air cooled body to start with and wanted to do a watercooled swap, I would be interested in keeping it all Back There somehow. If VW could duct/route enough air to cool their air-cooled motor, is there no way to mount a radiator back there with air ducted or pulled by a fan to it?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
I think someone on here did a rear-mounted radiator. If I had an air cooled body to start with and wanted to do a watercooled swap, I would be interested in keeping it all Back There somehow. If VW could duct/route enough air to cool their air-cooled motor, is there no way to mount a radiator back there with air ducted or pulled by a fan to it?

Bay windows are really easy to do that way beings they have the large louvered vents. But vanagans have 2 small vents way up high, and not sure how efficient that would be.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Driver4r wrote:
Has anyone had first hand experience with these? Was wondering how cheap quality they actually are.

https://www.amazon.com/WATERWICH-Illuminated-Water...dpSrc=srch

When you consider all the time and money you are investing in this great project, try to avoid getting sucked in by price on something. Here is my take on this. To really understand how discharged your battery is--which I assume is going to be important if your are camping on the road--you need to know the voltage to hundredths, not tenths. Here is a good site to get some skinny.

http://roadtreking.com/understanding-battery-voltages-and-state-of-charge/

Note that from a full charge to dead flat is only one volt. So knowing that you have 12.78 falling to 12.72 is telling you about a 10% loss is occurring which you wouldn't know if your meter only reads in tenths. This can also alert you to an electrical "leak". If no power is being used, but the voltage is dropping, you know something is going on which might leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. This also means that the accuracy of the meter is important--although you will have to calibrate any, no matter how expensive it was, against actual use. I have a cruising sailboat where electricity is very hard to come by when spending the summer on the water with only occasional motor use, so I've learned even with 4 large deep cycle batteries that paying attentions is important.

Get yourself a good 4 digit meter, and if your need usb or other 12v sockets, go a separate route as they are not expensive. But do not cheat yourself with the possibility of "fake news" that a cheap digital meter can give.
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Pulled a 2009 ej253 for my bus, going to do rings/headgaskets/timing belt. Ill post pictures soon.

Currently in Chicago and seen a 2 tone brown vanagan on i90 this morning hauling a kayak. Who was that.
Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Well..... I changed my mind again, Im now going with an ecotec for multiple reasons.

So the Subie is just going to set in the corner now.
I ordered my adapter over labor day weekend and got it in the mail Friday. This is exciting times. I got the adapter with the 228mm flywheel to retain the bus clutch.

This next weekend im going to pull the new engine and once I get the waterpump/timing chains changed, shes goin the bus so she can once again be able to atleast roll. and once I have mounts made, shes going in to get pipes bent for the cooling system.

Driver4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Tin-Top "The Banana" Reply with quote

Its been a long time since an update. Engine is in and wired. Security gets deleted this weekend thus letting her finally run... I should change the name to moneypit lol

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: