Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Kombi Build
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was $3500 CAD too much for this?
Yes
74%
 74%  [ 37 ]
No
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 50

frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

I plan to fix this up to be a daily driver. I love the old rusted out wholey look, but I need to fix/replace the "frame" and floor, and make it safe for the road and reliable. After that, I prefer the junky look of this Bus.

It came with many aftermarket options:
'Organic' Rear Sunroof
Aerodynamic roof line doubles as a rain catcher
Walk through driver floor area for convenience and better ventilation
'Flexible' Chassis for better feel of the road
Quiet engine which uses no fuel
Headlights that never need aiming
Rear bumper removed so that it would not get damaged in an accident

This and many more I am sure to encounter
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

What you have there is a parts bus. Shocked
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
What you have there is a $3500 parts bus. Shocked

Fixed it.

I would not remove the Bulkhead to make it a walk-thu anytime soon, it looks like it is holding the Bus together. I hope you have good welding skilz...

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

I would fix it. Would expect to replace most of the bottom structure on any old bus anyway.

How is the frame at front and over the rear wheels? The center frame section is an easy fix, but the front and rear are a lot more work.

This will take a lot of time. If you enjoy this type of work and don’t mind taking a few years to complete, then go for it.

I would suggest starting with the frame and not cutting up any more than needed. If you get the frame fixed and don’t like the project you haven’t spent much money and have increased the value.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Fixed it.

I would not remove the Bulkhead to make it a walk-thu anytime soon, it looks like it is holding the Bus together. I hope you have good welding skilz...

Fortunately I am not trying to make a profit here..... Thanks for the advice, I was not planning on removing the barrier between myself and the kids Very Happy

It was worth $3500 to me, but I like to see the results of the poll to see how far out I was.
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
I would fix it. Would expect to replace most of the bottom structure on any old bus anyway.

How is the frame at front and over the rear wheels? The center frame section is an easy fix, but the front and rear are a lot more work.

This will take a lot of time. If you enjoy this type of work and don’t mind taking a few years to complete, then go for it.

I would suggest starting with the frame and not cutting up any more than needed. If you get the frame fixed and don’t like the project you haven’t spent much money and have increased the value.

Thanks. There is some steel in the front, but I am waiting until i put the ownership in my name before I spend any time under there. I have never been professionally trained as a welder, but I did turn an old hay wagon into a pumpkin thrower.
https://scontent.fymy1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31...e=5B64F644

I did read your post showing how you replaced sections of your frame. If you don't mind I would like to use your information as a guide as I work at this.

I do enjoy the work as long as I get to do it on my own time. It's no fun being rushed.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

frothbeast wrote:
...I did read your post showing how you replaced sections of your frame. If you don't mind I would like to use your information as a guide as I work at this.

By the looks of your frame you will want to replace complete sections of frame as opposed to patching. The center frame is a simple profile that you can have a metal fab shop bend.

Check out the barndoor builds. Lots of frame repairs. The rear frames are virtually the same. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=523630
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

wow, this one is definitely going to be challenging but I can see the potential. Just fix up what you need to do to make it structurally sound and then enjoy it. That is what I am doing with my bus.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

I voted "no", You did not spend too much... i'd get it operable and patch the holes on the roof with some good tape and run it as is... Will be the best $3500, you ever spent and U could easily get your money back, anytime...
Don't be frightened by the popular vote... best just to do your own thing.

I bought my '60 single cab in 1995, much against popular demand, for $350 and still use it today... and now all the nay-sayers want to buy it - sorry guys, I've willed it to my son.

... never mind, what I paid - enjoyed the heck out of owning this 1960 double cab... what a great time I had with it - forget the silly money - being happy is what this life is all about... was just a little out of shape

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

frothbeast wrote:

It was worth $3500 to me, ...

This!^^^^ Cool

While I agree with you ZEN, to a point, as I've BTDT, also as well I have "patched" a broken chassis and patched it again as it kept degrading not to mention the other side was going the same way. Sometimes you have to make a correct though painful decision to give it up and get something more solid. Confused

Again, not to discourage the determined against all odds gunho minded person as I've gone and proved to the so called "experts" that "it CAN be done!" Razz

This will most definitely be a hella big project! Good luck! Smile
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

That one’s done and you paid too much. Way too much.. and that’s ok.

I’ve made mistakes like this before too. Think of it as a relatively cheap life lesson. I’m all for a project and encouraging people to persue dreams, but it’s not constructive to nudge someone down a pathway because it ‘could’ be done. Can a blind kid play football? Yes. Should they?
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Last summer, i had a completely rust free 1961 SO34 for sale with no interior, no glass, not running and no title for $2200. a guy drove here to Oklahoma, from California... cut the sub hatch upper section off at the belt line, cut the nose off, paid me $2K and drove off... he was here for 1 hour.
... I made another $2500 parting out the rest of the bus... look in my classifieds at much of the rust free chassis I have left for sale... that would fix you right up.
... If I had your bus, i'd never sell it and would keep it and repair it for the rest of my life and look for something else that needs less work... then you'd have 2 sweet busses.
... there is a Buddhist term, I live by - EMPTINESS - defined as letting go of fixed ideas... in this case the fixed idea is that your bus will never be roadworthy again... perish the thought, let that idea go and move on... works for me, big time.
Also, I had a 1967 SO42 tin-top Westy, I got in a trade... put that SO42 interior in a 1962 SO33, I have... and sold that '67 for $4500, recently... needed almost everything and the purchaser was very happy to get a bus, he could afford and repair for a lifelong relationship...
this was the SO33 when I got it in 2007 for $50 -

... and here's that bus today... comin' along.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

frothbeast wrote:
crukab wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Fixed it.

Fortunately I am not trying to make a profit here..... Thanks for the advice, I was not planning on removing the barrier between myself and the kids Very Happy

It was worth $3500 to me, but I like to see the results of the poll to see how far out I was.

If it is worth it to you, and you're ready to put in the work and not see reward for years, by all means go for it! I probably overpaid for my bus too, and I don't care one bit either. It's great, and I wouldn't trade my bus and all it's flaws for anything. So go fix your bus, but beware it is a parts bus you're bringing back to life. That frame is shot!
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

I had a look underneath. I believe there is some actual metal in this frame. There will be at least a 3' section needing replacing from the middle joint on the passenger side to the torsion tube, and perhaps a similar section on the drivers side. I also noticed that the cable guide tubes all seem to be intact. The parking brake cable is still holding the brake on, and the lever is still holding the cable tight.

I don't think there are any outriggers that survived, but all the floor channels are still functioning up to 12" away from the side. I'll have to see if there is any metal worth welding to.

Another spot that is terribad is the tubes that the motor bolts to. One has completely let go of the engine. I will take some pictures after I dig into the rust to find metal.
adriano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Wow, a nice canadian bus with walk thru spare tire well and bulkhead behind the seats. I have one too.
Do you have the heater under the front seats?
Could you post the M-Plate? mine has 388 and 043 (unknowed codes) and Vancouver dest.
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

adriano wrote:
Wow, a nice canadian bus with walk thru spare tire well and bulkhead behind the seats. I have one too.
Do you have the heater under the front seats?
Could you post the M-Plate? mine has 388 and 043 (unknowed codes) and Vancouver dest.

Is this what you mean? Please excuse the poor contrast
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

I want to get the bus rolling so it's easier to get out of my way. So I need to remove the rear drums while the parking brake mechanism is stuck on.
I used a puller and a hammer.

It was a slow process, but patience and banging more than tightening the puller convinced it to come off with only minor damage to the backer plate, and the entire bus lost weight with every hit.(rust everywhere)

The bus was extremely flexible under there. I was a bit worried about where to put stands to ensure the carcass didn't crash down one me. I had 3 under there in different spots.

Last edited by frothbeast on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

That's similar in size... but the m-code plate is located behind passenger's seat back.

frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Thanks,

I have no pic of that here at work, I will snap one when I get home.
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Here is the plate behind the passenger seat

I don't see anything that looks like a heater or a carcass of one here:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: