Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Kombi Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was $3500 CAD too much for this?
Yes
74%
 74%  [ 37 ]
No
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 50

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Shocked thats an ambitious project- Did you find the stub axle yet? How are the gears- PM me for some parts- pretty sure the postage to Canada will be a bit steep-- Are you doing any trans work? lots of good info on putting that RGB set up back together. Personally I would go in search of a bus carcuse to scavenge parts off of. I have a 68 body we cut the roof off - to repair my 78 and then have all kinds of body parts left. So that might be an option for you.

Keep in mind -the thousands you would have used to get a welding class. Now you have one in your yard Very Happy

If you read some of the "build threads" here - you will see how many people bought a Harbor freight welder and then listened to the welding advise on here and literally became welders before the forum's eyes-

Thats a pretty good core engine with the DP heads and dog box oil cooler.

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Go ahead & repair the sender unit while you have it out, I fixed mine & it works great.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7706426#7706426

Thanks, I will test it and fix it. Nice thread!
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Shocked thats an ambitious project- Did you find the stub axle yet? How are the gears- PM me for some parts- pretty sure the postage to Canada will be a bit steep-- Are you doing any trans work? lots of good info on putting that RGB set up back together. Personally I would go in search of a bus carcuse to scavenge parts off of. I have a 68 body we cut the roof off - to repair my 78 and then have all kinds of body parts left. So that might be an option for you.

Keep in mind -the thousands you would have used to get a welding class. Now you have one in your yard Very Happy

If you read some of the "build threads" here - you will see how many people bought a Harbor freight welder and then listened to the welding advise on here and literally became welders before the forum's eyes-

Thats a pretty good core engine with the DP heads and dog box oil cooler.

Thanks for the reply, I have not found the stub shaft, but it appears i have lots of work to do , I can ignore some problems until I can't ignore them anymore. I haven't counted the teeth on it yet. I ran a die down the threads and 'cleaned' them. Now I have what resembles an acme(square) thread with outer diameter 29mm rather than 30. I will see if a new nut will hold it for now. I will temper the hardness out of the steel and thread it with a 27mm x 2 or 27mm x 3 then harden it again, if I can't get a shaft easy enough. That will bring the safety factor down, but I think it will still be more robust than the what is on the cars they build today.

Right now I am going to get some steel bent for a 'frame rail' then i will level, measure, rotate, measure, level, rotate, etc then connect the front and rear suspension with good steel.

I haven't done anything to the tranny, but once i replace the missing metal on the horns that hold it, I will change the oil and see how it does. I don't really want to dig into it unless I need to. If this transmission is relatively the same as my two swing axle bugs ('58 and '60) then I am not to worried about tearing it down for no reason. Same with the engine. I will take the heads and jugs off to see the condition of the rings and valves, but no reason to dig deeper unless something grenades itself.
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

I am waiting for some steel to get bent for me, and also some plates plasma cut for me too. While I wait I will get this old engine running again.

Please ignore the complicated mess in behind, but note the solo cup full of beer!

I welded a few nuts to this broken stud before I got it to come loose(Thanks Jeff D. for the method)
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Here is my state of the art Valve lapping station:

Had to remove a bur from one valve to stop it from gouging the guide. It would not come out nice until I filed it a bit:

One more broken bolt took about 12-15 nuts welded to it before it came out

frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

I attempted to weld a frame rail to the torsion tube. I have achieved a 'birdpoop' weld on the outside and I blew through a bit on the inner side. I used a 3.5" hole saw for tube hole in the 'frame' rail. I spent some time cleaning the tube ahead of time, but I see this is not clean enough. I have used flux core wire for too long now. I must unlearn what I have learned. I will have to figure out how to get my hands/body/grinder in there to dig the outer weld out and do it again. Has anyone ever pressed or slid a sleeve inside the tube and then plug weld it in there?

frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

I laid on the ground and did some spot sandblasting. Then I laid on the ground and welded the "frame". These are not pretty welds, but I think I can use these welds to hold things together when I flip the bus upside down.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: