Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamtennal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

I recently installed the Go Westy auxiliary battery kit in my 1984 Tin Top GL Non-Camper. Install went smooth, I am currently running the Go Westy 80W Foldable panel. For now I am just taking it out during the day when its sunny, but soon it'll be roof mounted. Thats besides the fact though!

I am getting charge to my controller and everything seems to be working fine minus my Pro Sport 12 dual power bank. Do I actually need to plug this thing into my AC Adapter? Without it plugged in even with it wired up to the isolator it still shows no power unless I have it plugged into the AC Adaptor. Do I have it wired up wrong? I woke up to my AC Adaptor going nuts because I left it on all night with the power bank plugged in...

Any advice appreciated, thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin Top Solar install(Specifically regarding the pro sport) Reply with quote

I am confused. The sport 12 is going to charge the battery when connected to ac. The solar controller will charge the battery when you have sun. They are independent of each other. So to positive battery you should have solar controller as well as the sport12. Are you thinking the solar should go through the sport 12?
williamtennal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin Top Solar install(Specifically regarding the pro sport) Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I am confused. The sport 12 is going to charge the battery when connected to ac. The solar controller will charge the battery when you have sun. They are independent of each other. So to positive battery you should have solar controller as well as the sport12. Are you thinking the solar should go through the sport 12?

I have the solar going through the Go Westy 10a solar controller.
The Pro Sport has two hook ups, one for each side of the isolator, and then a plug to AC. I have it hooked up, but its only showing the blue power on light, nothing about charging. Is this right?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin Top Solar install(Specifically regarding the pro sport) Reply with quote

Not sure I have no experience with the GoWesty isolator. I have a blue sea one and my charger is connected directly to aux battery. I would think your charger has to lead for two batteries? When I plug charger in to AC and it begins charging aux battery the blue sea relay will turn on allowing to charge the aux and start battery. I would think its the same for you. I would look at the GoWesty documentation or give them a call and they will set you straight.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin Top Solar install(Specifically regarding the pro sport) Reply with quote

Typically a battery charger is connected directly to the aux battery and does not go thru the solar controller at all. Contact Gowesty though as I do not want to mislead you.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin Top Solar install(Specifically regarding the pro sport) Reply with quote

Ok just watched tbe video. Sounds like you got it right. So you are wondering if tbe battery is recieving a charge. A full battery will be around 12.8v once you plug in charger battery should show around 14v. You can check with a meter or I would think your solar charge controller show show battery voltage.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

Where is the red wire from the battery's negative terminal going?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamtennal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Where is the red wire from the battery's negative terminal going?

Thats going to the negative post on the AC inverter, I just only had red wire.. of course... haha

To clarify I do have the solar charger hooked up directly to the battery, the pro sport is running to both sides of the isolator and has the AC plug, plugged into the inverter.

I went out and checked the charger after the panel has been out in the sun for most of the day... 11.8 V.... no good. The Prosport did have the "ready" light illuminated though which is new.

After I installed the system it rained for like 6 days and I was unable to put my panel out, the battery sat dead for a week. Could the battery be fried?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

I am very confused. I think the prosport should be connected directly to the battery and plugged into 110v shore power. If the prosport is plugged into the inverter it seems you are trying to cherge the battery from the inverter which is powered by the battery????

The Western Syncro build
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

Can you draw a schematic of your system?

The Western Syncro build
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

williamtennal wrote:
the pro sport is running to both sides of the isolator and has the AC plug, plugged into the inverter.

So, you have the inverter wired to the aux battery and the charger plugged in (and running off of) said inverter? If you do, that's a no-go. The inverter is drawing power as it runs, as is the charger. You're basically asking the aux battery to charge itself while powering said charger, as well as trying to charge the primary battery too. It's going to result in a depleted aux battery, as you discovered.

AC chargers really need to be plugged into AC power. Grab an extension cord, plug the AC charger into it, shut the inverter off, and you should see the ProSport start charging.

With the battery down to 11.8, it's considered down-for-the-count, but not dead. You can revive it, but it's life may have been shortened a bit. You can take it to Batteries+ (or similar store), have them charge it, then do a load test to verify that it's not fried... if desired.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I am very confused. I think the prosport should be connected directly to the battery and plugged into 110v shore power. If the prosport is plugged into the inverter it seems you are trying to cherge the battery from the inverter which is powered by the battery????

This is exactly what it sounds like, which is a bit spooky. No offense intended OP, but if you are doing what Dobryan suspects, you may want to get someone with an electrical background to check your work. Electricity can do some very unpleasant stuff to you and your van.
Some people call him Maurice...
williamtennal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

Presently my wiring is following the Go Westy auxiliary battery schematic and the video they have on youtube, only difference is I don't have the relay that has the fridge power stuff on it.
williamtennal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

This is exactly how I have it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

I thought I read that the prosport was
plugged into the inverter. Is it, or is it plugged into an outside 110v source?

The Western Syncro build
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

*IF* you have it wired exactly that way, then plug the a/c power cord into a 120v receptacle at your house/campground, etc, and you should be good to go. Plugging that cord into your inverter means you are trying to take your 12 volt d/c battery power, change it to 120v a/c via the inverter, and then recharge your battery using the ProSport to convert 120v a/c to 12 volt d/c.
Some people call him Maurice...
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

There's no 12V isolator shown for the inverter. Without one, it'll draw a small amount of power regardless of any other ON/OFF switches on it. Some draw a significant amount when 'OFF', enough to flatten a battery in short order.
williamtennal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
There's no 12V isolator shown for the inverter. Without one, it'll draw a small amount of power regardless of any other ON/OFF switches on it. Some draw a significant amount when 'OFF', enough to flatten a battery in short order.

Can I run it on the isolator I already have?
This is the first I’ve heard of needing to run that on an isolator, I have it hooked right up to the battery!
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with this Prosport. Are the two positive DC lines leaving it 100% independent? If not, you are bypassing the battery separator, which is not good. Normally, I would charge on the aux battery side and not the starter battery, letting the battery separator handle that action.

Also, the inverter should have a switch on it. 110V is rarely needed, and inverters tend to draw power even when not used, if connected.

Finally, either ALWAYS mark both ends of a wire that uses the wrong color. So if you are using red as a ground (not recommended, really), you MUST put black tape on both ends. I know, it's tempting to save time and money, but it's worse to have a short with 100+ amps of battery current shorting out.
williamtennal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
I'm not familiar with this Prosport. Are the two positive DC lines leaving it 100% independent? If not, you are bypassing the battery separator, which is not good. Normally, I would charge on the aux battery side and not the starter battery, letting the battery separator handle that action.

Also, the inverter should have a switch on it. 110V is rarely needed, and inverters tend to draw power even when not used, if connected.

Finally, either ALWAYS mark both ends of a wire that uses the wrong color. So if you are using red as a ground (not recommended, really), you MUST put black tape on both ends. I know, it's tempting to save time and money, but it's worse to have a short with 100+ amps of battery current shorting out.

Yep, it has two positives that I have ran to both sides of the isolator, and then two grounds that are both locally grounded together.

The battery had charged to near 13v after a day in the sun but we got snow last night (Missouri go figure) and now my panel has snow on it. Haven't addressed the ProSport at all, ordering a isolator for the AC Inverter today!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: