Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing Steering Box/Column Angle
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Changing Steering Box/Column Angle Reply with quote

I was doing some preliminary fitment with my new front beam and steering shaft. I set the steering box angle using the little bumps/indexes found on the front beam. Following that angle up to the driver's seat with the steering shaft shows that the bottom of steering wheel would end up being way, way too high. Reducing the angle of the steering box by about 20 degrees (according to the angle finding app on my phone) lowers the steering wheel to a reasonable height.

I'm wondering if changing the steering box angle by that much will cause issues with the steering geometry. Seems like a change that large might cause some binding once the tie rods, spindles and other steering components are put on.

What are my options? Would adding a universal joint between the steering wheel and steering box be the best bet? Thanks again.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Steering Box/Column Angle Reply with quote

If you flip your clamp around & line it up with the bump it should lower the wheel. One is set for Bugs, the other is for Ghias... The Ghia setting lowers the wheel a bit... Or you could grind off the bump & set it where it needs to be, I would think...

'60's Spatz Buggy body on '74 Chassis (Budget Build)
'69 Bug (Baja-to-be partial daily)
'10 Silverado (My daily)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Steering Box/Column Angle Reply with quote

When your mocking it up are the inner tie rod mounts on the box level ( parallel with the floor)? Is this in a buggy or car? If you don't have a steering wheel mount yet then you can just put a u Joint on the box and shoot the steering shaft straight to it.
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Steering Box/Column Angle Reply with quote

Yeah, I should have started off with pictures. I've now configured the steering box to set at the shallowest angle possible using indexes on the clamp. As it turns out, the angle isn't too bad:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But it does look like I'll have to cut and move the lower "windshield" tube up an inch or two so the steering column bushing can be welded to its bottom.

I also put the connecting rods on and took a couple of closeups of the steering box. Will the steering coupler be able to handle that angle between the steering box and steering column?

mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Steering Box/Column Angle Reply with quote

Use a couple of U-joints with a support somewhere in between similar to this. If you rotate the steering box and therefore the pitman arm, you start affecting the angles of the tierods which is mostly never beneficial. Since yours is basically a straight shot, one U-joint would probably work out as mentioned already.

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: