Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poor running 1641 TP
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

Mayday pulling my hair out with this one! On my 3rd exchanged 34 pict Bocar carb. Fist had an air in leak issues so wasnt ticking over once choke had dropped out.
carb no.1 & no.2 had only done 50 odd miles before playing up and straight replacement ran fine each time but not for long. Lost count how many times I have done valve clearances, dizzy timing and usual 2 and half turns out procedure on each carb set up. Now I am on carb no.3, It runs ok with choke then pretty lumpy with big flat spots until it warms up some more and evens out but still only just ticks over. To get it ticking over only just, the carb screws are out like 4/5 turns!
Wondering if the stock fuel pump is not providing enough fuel ??

Its a recon block under 1k miles, 1641 TP new heads, pots, pistons, "CARB!" fuel pump & filter, pretty much newish everything

Would love any ideas
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

Feel the heat riser under the manifold, it should be too hot to touch after 3-5 min.s running, if OK look down the carb (motor off) and open the throttle slowly, the accelerator pump should start squirting gas as soon as you open the throttle and continue until WOT, if not adjust the cam screw toward +.
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

Will check riser in the morning and check carb. I am guessing I am looking for fuel being squirted from what is in the float chamber
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

roscopeco10 wrote:
Will check riser in the morning and check carb. I am guessing I am looking for fuel being squirted from what is in the float chamber

Yes that's what gives the motor power when the throttle is opened and the vacuum drops.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

Please tell us about the condition of your fuel tank and what the last fuel filter looked like inside. Also tell us what distributor you have and how you are timing it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

roscopeco10 wrote:
Mayday pulling my hair out with this one! On my 3rd exchanged 34 pict Bocar carb...........

Would love any ideas

If all else is in fact good then that one word above **just may** be your problem.

Look on here for "Volkzbitz" -- he rebuilds carbs. He produces an incredible 34 Solex PICT. Check his feedback. Purchase and it might just solve your problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

I'd also check the manifold boots for leaks and cracks, as well as the brake booster to be sure it is not leaking.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

Post some pictures of your engine and engine compartment. As others have stated, most aftermarket carbs are better used as door stops.

Volkzbitz.com sells beautifully restored German Solex 34-3 carbs. I run restored German, Solex carbs, Pierburg fuel pumps and Bosch distributor.

These were high quality parts that are easily restored back to like new condition.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

A Volkzbitz Solex 34pict-3 is about $250 outright. Best money you could spend. As others have said, there are many other things to consider such as manifold heat and what distributor you’re using. Vacuum leaks, contaminated fuel, etc. all need to be considered. Best thing you could do right now is post 4-5 pictures of your engine.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips so far, pics will be posted later today after I get chance to try some of the suggestions out.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

What cam is in it?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

In my short time around the block with aftermarket carburetors.. I have found they need to be opened up and cleaned, and you need to set the float height. Pull all four jets out and blow them and their passages out with shop air.

The number of turns out on the idle mixture is not really as important as how rich or lean the mixture actually is, but you won't know that info without an air fuel ratio gauge.

There is a good possibility the throttle shaft is too loose in its bores and is leaning out the mixture.. you can't adjust a throttle shaft vacuum leak out, but you can hide it by running too rich at idle. Yes new carburetors can have too much clearance at the throttle shaft bores.. it's not from wear, it's from bad machining tolerances during manufacture.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I'd also check the manifold boots for leaks and cracks, as well as the brake booster to be sure it is not leaking.
This! Especially brake servo line....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
deezal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

To much fuel pressure maybe?
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

So cant see any juice squirting in the carb with engine off when I pull throttle lever and pre heaters vary in temp after 5 mins definately not hot under the carb mount.

https://youtu.be/uGJyzrDbvms

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Delayed sorting this issue, down to the Accelerator pedal hinge snapping yesterday !! woohoo
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

That's quite the combination of aftermarket new stuff, a little flaw here and a bit of underperformance there all adds up to a less than optimal engine.

At first glance I see:
Aircleaner
Carb
Distributor
Possible small lower pulley
Long belt (slow fan)
No crankcase breather
No wire on oil pressure switch

Some needs immediate attention, others can be replaced one at a time for a gradual improvement in performance.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

roscopeco10 wrote:
So cant see any juice squirting in the carb with engine off when I pull throttle lever and pre heaters vary in temp after 5 mins definately not hot under the carb mount.

https://youtu.be/uGJyzrDbvms

Delayed sorting this issue, down to the Accelerator pedal hinge snapping yesterday !! woohoo

Yep clogged pre-heat pipe and look at the accelerator pump cam and adjust it toward the +. The pre-heat tube is clogged with carbon and needs to be cleaned out.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

or the muffler wasn't drilled out for preheat. Some come with a welded plug and have to be drilled to allow the pre-heat to work.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
or the muffler wasn't drilled out for preheat. Some come with a welded plug and have to be drilled to allow the pre-heat to work.

Forgot this one time. Engine ran poorly for "no apparent reason" until I drilled the muffler pipes out.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

On a positive note, it’s clean.

You know, a new guy walks into a VW parts house and he sees all this crap for sale. He doesn’t know better and relies on the parts guy to steer him in the right direction. That’s where the error lies
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: